3 State SS1K

Scott Parish

Premier Member
Appreciate the invitation; unfortunately, I am planning my first SS 1K from San Diego to Salem, Oregon leaving July 14th. Good luck on your ride. Sounds fun. BTW - nice bike. What year? I have the 09.

Rony6ble

Premier Member
Appreciate the invitation; unfortunately, I am planning my first SS 1K from San Diego to Salem, Oregon leaving July 14th. Good luck on your ride. Sounds fun. BTW - nice bike. What year? I have the 09.
Current is an '11. The '09 was totaled in March 2014 thanks to a drunk driver.
Ride safe, check rush hour traffic in LA.
Water, water, water...

Becca

Premier Member
I'll try a SS1K in AZ, UT and NV to collect 3 NV ToH sites and visit some NP's and other places of personal interest.

This is the map link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_P1rTHf90mKmkxy5om-PIxcA6fY&usp=sharing

If some of you have good ideas for breakfast/lunch/dinner or other places to stop please comment.
Anyone want to join?
Hope your trip went safely and you had fun! If you managed to collect four (4) Tour of Honor stops along the way, don't forget about the special SS1000 / TOH designation you can get on your certificate. :0)

http://tourofhonor.com/pages/iba.html --> "The TOUR OF HONOR SADDLESORE is a 1000-mile ride in 24 hours, visiting at least four (4) ToH memorial sites during the ride."

Rony6ble

Premier Member
Hope your trip went safely and you had fun! If you managed to collect four (4) Tour of Honor stops along the way, don't forget about the special SS1000 / TOH designation you can get on your certificate. :0)

http://tourofhonor.com/pages/iba.html --> "The TOUR OF HONOR SADDLESORE is a 1000-mile ride in 24 hours, visiting at least four (4) ToH memorial sites during the ride."
I did a ride but had to change the plan.
Did SS1K-X in AZ and NM last year. I'll probably do NV as a SS1K-X

Scott Parish

Premier Member
Current is an '11. The '09 was totaled in March 2014 thanks to a drunk driver.
Ride safe, check rush hour traffic in LA.
Water, water, water...
Good advice regarding traffic through LA. At the moment I am debating an evening start (8PM) or early morning (4AM). I was thinking it would be more comfortable crossing the central valley at night during July and going through Shasta around dawn; but I know I would be more rested starting in the morning versus trying to sleep in (never happens) and waiting around all day before heading out. This is the first time I am trying to plan my route and all stops. Usually my riding buddy and I head out each year for 7-10 days on the road with just a general idea of direction and only using printed maps when necessary. I have never owned a GPS and use my phone occasionally for directions so this is a new experience. I will try and attach the link in Google Maps. My biggest concern is the ride has very little pad in the mileage i.e. 1003. However, I have checked the route multiple times and do not see any possibility of a shorter route being identified by the validators - so I think the validation should be okay. Thoughts? I suppose I could head south a little further to obtain my first/starting gas receipt.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1r8Cjbzt6H4rSQoabJRpvBJP7I8M

Rony6ble

Premier Member
... My biggest concern is the ride has very little pad in the mileage i.e. 1003. However, I have checked the route multiple times and do not see any possibility of a shorter route being identified by the validators - so I think the validation should be okay. Thoughts? I suppose I could head south a little further to obtain my first/starting gas receipt.
Scott, I see that you are using google to plan the route. Different mapping tools may get also different total distance. Have you tried using Bings or other tools?
I personally am trying to create a ride with 1,000.0 miles (Google, Bings, others) just because I enjoy the planning but I would not try this in my first SS1K. I'll pass the advice I was given: add between 2 and 3% (20 to 30 miles) to the 1,000 mi target. You could achieve this following your own advice and finishing a bit north of your planned final stop in Salem, OR.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Scott, just ride farther North on I-5 there are tons of truck stops in that stretch and gas stations right off the exits to get a receipt. Put another 20 miles or so on to ensure no issues. Woodburn, OR is just 18 miles North of Salem. Or if you want your cert to end in Salem, Brooks, OR is 9.8 miles North on I-5 with two truck stops at exit 263. Go there, get a receipt to document your U-turn, then head back to Salem to get your finish receipt. There are a lot less options heading South out of Salem. I lived in Portland for 45 years and know that area well.

Scott Parish

Premier Member
Scott, just ride farther North on I-5 there are tons of truck stops in that stretch and gas stations right off the exits to get a receipt. Put another 20 miles or so on to ensure no issues. Woodburn, OR is just 18 miles North of Salem. Or if you want your cert to end in Salem, Brooks, OR is 9.8 miles North on I-5 with two truck stops at exit 263. Go there, get a receipt to document your U-turn, then head back to Salem to get your finish receipt. There are a lot less options heading South out of Salem. I lived in Portland for 45 years and know that area well.
Appreciate the advice. I finished the ride a couple of weeks ago (July 14-15) and ended in Lebanon where my daughter lives. I looked at the mileage and it came up close enough turning east towards Lebanon versus continuing north to Salem. I called ahead to what appeared to be about the only 24 hour gas station in Lebanon to ensure the receipts included a date/time stamp and address. Overall - the ride took 5 hours longer than anticipated because I had a battery failure in Santa Nella, California and it took over 4 hours to source a new battery (40 miles away in Hollister). I expected to arrive around 9pm and rolled in at 2:29am with only a 90 minute cushion remaining. The delay also put me riding up through Stockton and Redding in the late afternoon with temps over 100. At both gas stops I took an extra couple of minutes to take my entire riding suite off to cool my core temperature down. I'm routing a BB 1500 (going for extreme) in October through Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado when the temperature should be moderate during the day.

Scott

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Congrats on completing the ride. Get that paperwork turned in, if you haven't already done so. Good on you for hanging in there despite the battery failure too.

The BB1500 is about the same degree of difficulty, given the 36 hour ride, but the BBG is a much tougher ride. It's all about managing your stopped time. Much harder to make time up than to save time at stops. Only a 62 mph average for the BBG, but every little thing eats into your time. Be prepared for wet in October and cold at night, depending on elevation. I always take the heated jacket liner on any ride I'll be doing at night.