3rd time is not always a charm ....

Bill53

Premier Member
I just completed my third SS1000 / 1600 ride. After the first two I figured this one would be a 'charm'. I wanted to add the Lower Great lakes SS1000 to my Lake Huron ride a month ago. Started out well enough with route advice from other caring IBs' and after a while even the sun was shining with warmer than normal temps for the locale. The air was also aromatic with the scent of fresh asphalt for about 3-4 hours.
A minor problem with I-80/90 access near Toledo being closed, then my cheapo GPS [running on Windows CE] crashed out. My new phone didn't have data roaming enabled yet ..... no help there ! Found my way just the same though. traveling on a local highway until Fremont - nice day, no problem !
Everything went well on the I-90 until nearing Syracuse, New York, wheren the traffic flow was like being trapped in a concertina, 140 kph [85 mph] then 10 or less ! Who knew you could do a 'stoppie' with a 97 R1100RT with 240 pounds of old man on it ?
Fatigue gets every thing .... the mounting of the Temperature, Fuel, and Gear indicator gave up and it slipped down inside the dash.... went for the emergency tape that is still in the old tankbag ! POR [press on regardless] because I can count up AND down, I know my fuel range, and oil temp has not been a problem yet.
Finally get to the border crossing back into Canada only to pick the one lane with the most sociable agent .... guess what ? Oilheads get irritable when left at idle too long and a temperature indicator would let you know that.... if you could see it ! No harm done.
Finally get through that delay only to exit the bridge to an emergency road closure causing a liesurely detour along a scenic parkway ..... at night!
Finally get to last stretch and 2nd to last stop for a break and fuel ..... only to find that our holiday weekend and some special event has packed that service/rest stop. Press on to the next one which is much better ! 8 fuel pumps - no waiting except the one I pick won't work or let go of my card !- another 20 minutes to sort that out.
Exactly 21 Hours and 1848 Km or 1145 Miles later I returned to my driveway .... SUCCESS !
Lessons learned
1. Check ALL your gear .... TWICE
2. Check all your planned routes and have an alternate.
3. Never assume nothing else can go wrong !
4. Pay attention all the time, espescially when things are going well !
Would do it again in a heartbeat !

mcrigid

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Glad you made it home safely Bill, thanks for the ride report. I was following your progress on Spotwalla and could see where you were getting jammed up. It's always a crapshoot on any given road. Congratulations on your success.

JAVGuzzi

Premier Member
Congrats Bill !! You did good time-wise even with the hiccups you encountered.

If you are interested in doing a Lake Superior SS1K next year, keep an eye on the IBA Event calendar in the Spring. I'm planning on organizing one for June 20th, starting & ending in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan. And also an All Yooperland SS1K and Canada/Michigan SS1K on June 20th.
The Canadian loop will include 130 miles/210 Kms on Highway 129 from Thessalon to Capleau, then on to Wawa and back to the Soo for the USA loop in the U.P. So June 20th will be a SS1K Trifecta Day in the Soo..

I usually snag a few Riders from North of the Border on the rides I organize. Trevor from Brampton, ON was my riding buddy on the All Yooperland SS1K that we all did this year in June, starting & ending in Iron Mountain, Michigan. Had a good turn out with 30 Riders. Everyone finished, BTW.

Last edited:

Bill53

Premier Member
I'll be watching for those events ! Lake Superior and Lake Michigan are top of my list now, followed by the Great Lakes 100. The ride to Chapleau would be nice too. I started looking at doing IB rides when I went from Wawa -Chapleau - Timmins -North Bay and home in a day .... only 1100 Km though. Now after 3 I'm addicted.