4 seasons ride series.

ACTCapo

So someone doing a Melb-Darwin 50CC couldn't claim a Centreline 24/36?
Or someone clocking up Lighthouses or Painted Silos must do so outside of any other certified ride?

What if there was a 'slightly' different start and end point receipts?

It's a slippery slope... and games will be played...
I don’t think that’s what is being asked here. Your first example is nesting, isn’t it? And the “accumulation” rides like lighthouses and silos I would think would be fine to collect within other rides (as those rides don’t have distance requirements attached).

Taken to the extreme, could I potentially get 6 certificates in one ride by eating bbq, ice cream and drinking coffee on a solstice while participating in a power to the people and visiting Texas and Kentucky? That sure would be gaming the system! ;)

Last edited:

cjmckay

Premier Member
I don’t think that’s what is being asked here. Your first example is nesting, isn’t it? And the “accumulation” rides like lighthouses and silos I would think would be fine to collect within other rides (as those rides don’t have distance requirements attached).

Taken to the extreme, could I potentially get 6 certificates in one ride by eating bbq, ice cream and drinking coffee on a solstice while participating in a power to the people and visiting Texas and Kentucky? That sure would be gaming the system! ;)
I don't this that's what is being asked here? Actually, it is. In the same manner as the 50CC and Centreline are themed rides.

Is it nesting or not? One might argue that it is impossible to do the Melb-Darwin 50CC without doing the Centreline36 and therefore couldn't be claimed - others would say that it isn't nesting as they are distinctly different rides with distinctly differing requirements.

Yes, taken the the extreme that would be possible (it would be a pretty mean feat too). Alternatively, just because you drank coffee on the solstice (two rides with totally different requirements (other than having to be a SS1600K minimum)) are you suggesting that one ride should explicitly rule out claiming the other? (...which is what is being asked and suggested.) I don't see them being mutually exclusive. If I was to ride 4 States on ANZAC Day (meeting the requirements of both) should one be excluded?

The rules are pretty clear about nesting, but the only examples I believe that have been spelt out are 'distance/time' based, not themed.

I think there is possibly a fine line of distinction between rides and awards.

It is what it is, live and let live.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
To post 23 above.

Here is a bit of food for thought.
A rider makes a plan to do the ANZAC ride and starts that ride from the dawn service at say Glen Innes.
Heads east to Inverell NSW to collect 2 dockets. One is a corner for the ANZAC ride and the other a start of the. 4 State .1 state collected and bolts to Texas QLD gets a corner docket for both rides and heads back into NSW to Kentucky. That's NSW, QLD, Texas and Kentucky for filling a key feature of that particular ride to this point. Rider then bolts to say Narrandera because its ANZAC Day and the war memorial down there has a few family names on it. 13Hrs58Minutes and 1240km. Then to Jerilderie because a mate was a tank driver and his actual tank is the one on display which is cool I think.
15Hrs 6minutes 1348Km for the ANZAC. 14hrs 19 minutes and the $states will become 5. Onward to Seymore Victoria almost 17 hrs 1496 Km and now with Victoria on the list. 5 states.
Why Seymore? Well Seymore has a most fantastic Viet Nam War Memorial and my Dads name on "The Wall". Mum Dad and I have our names in a brick in the pathway too. You will also notice a structure with 4 Victoria Cross recipients. As a very young child I did meet each of them as simple soldiers yet to be the hero's. The ANZAC rides at 17hrs 37 minutes and 1563km clocks ticking. Of to Kyabram. Here is laid to rest a childhood friend and a man us kids looked up to. The father of my mate Simon. An engineer soldier. A regular soldier and a very brave man. At 18hrs44minutes and 1664km I bring to a close the ANZAC Ride for 2024. Finish docket in my hot hand. And a corner docket.

But there is more to be done.
This States with a twist is still to be completed. I'm like 18hrs on that particular ride in so plenty of time left. 1596km in the bag at Kyabram and South Australia's only a bit away.
OTR Bordertown SA. 22hrs 37minutes and 2017Km dun and dusted. 6 States in hand.
And a neat 2000/24
Three ride certificates 2 different start locations for two different rides starting hours and many kilometres apart and finishing in two different states and topping it off with a bloody good 2000/24.

It can be done and planning is the key.
One ride day outing can open the door to two or more rides. And a mix of distance.

Clearly non should be excluded.
You just have to do your planning.
Two qualifying rides two Certificates. And a bonus.

Last edited:

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Fair point Ox
Refer to the second last line re planning.
The point being two entirely different rides can be planned for and included in one large ride day.
And two different finish locations and different distances.
I could use Armidale, Narrabri, Zilmere, Ardlethan and Cobram. They are all able to fit within a days riding events.

cjmckay

Premier Member
Fair point Ox
Refer to the second last line re planning.
The point being two entirely different rides can be planned for and included in one large ride day.
And two different finish locations and different distances.
I could use Armidale, Narrabri, Zilmere, Ardlethan and Cobram. They are all able to fit within a days riding events.
@Gatey - Personally, I say it is 'fair game'. Others have a different point of view. What you are suggesting I raised in #17. Now - where do you sit if the receipts were all the same yet met the requirements for two certificates (as per the OP's original question - riding a soltice/equinox while simultaneously undertaking another 'themed' ride) - a more 'extreme' corner case?

Brookester

Premier Member
@Gatey - Personally, I say it is 'fair game'. Others have a different point of view. What you are suggesting I raised in #17. Now - where do you sit if the receipts were all the same yet met the requirements for two certificates (as per the OP's original question - riding a soltice/equinox while simultaneously undertaking another 'themed' ride) - a more 'extreme' corner case?
For nested rides you can submit the same receipts and route as far as I know

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
My opinion will differ to many. It is however shared by probably as many too.

As a rider whom has not gone down the "massing heaps of ride certs pathway" my personal reasons to do big miles revolve around points of interest I may be able to string together in any given time window.

In short I'm no longer driven by a need to collect many many certificates. I've not been that way for many years now so nesting rides within rides isn't a "thing" for me. Last time I did that level of planning was back when ColdComfort posted up a destination to Barkley HS NT. We hit all the targets finished each type of ride well in time and with plenty fat to spare....and I never bothered sending those docs off. Just didn't see the point I suppose.

So maybe I'm more driven by twists and turns that can be involved within that ride plan development. You know looking for something a bit more creative in 24 or 36 or more hours may be able to offer. Mentally I sort of set a limit to maybe less than half the dockets being collected being common use across two plans. Say all those collected on an SS1600 maybe the last few might present in the very first part of a 3000/48 to go do something different.

You can get a sense of the types of things that float my boat in post 25 above. A mix and a challenge and most likely no paperwork being sent away.
I have a small pile of plastic bags with ride logs and receipts, google maps and notes. Photos too. That's enough for me.

My desire for distance is very different to the next guy. Which is healthy.