401 end to end ride

mikew

I'm new to Iron Butt and can't wait to do the 401 ride - likely in the coming weeks.
Question: Do I have to start and end the trip at either end of the 401? For example, I live in Vaughan, Ideally I'd like to head South on Hwy400, then West on the 401 to the beginning in Windsor, then head the whole length to Montreal, then head back to Hwy 400 and exit North. I will have run the whole length of the 401 both ways.
Thanks,

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hi @mikew - Welcome to the forum. This kind of question gets asked a lot. I am not an IBA official, but my understanding is that for End to End rides, like Coast To Coast rides, the intent is that you have to start your ride at the end points, not in the middle. It's an End to End ride, not a Middle to End to End to Middle ride. :) The length of the 401 requires that you do traverse it twice to qualify for the SS1600 ride. From the rules for the 401 E2E, (I've added bold):

--you must ride the entire length of the 401 from before its beginning to after its end within the allotted time and return
--
You must traverse the end points and get DBRs in Riviere-Beaudette, Quebec and Windsor, Ontario
--You must enter/exit the 401 from Highway 20 on the east end; and exit/enter the 401 to Ojibway Parkway in Windsor in the west.
--You must complete the ride in less than 24 hours

Full rule page HERE

So you're going to need to ride to Windsor and get a DBR, and for clarity, start your tracking off the 401, then enter from Ojibway Parkway. It does make sense to start at that end, so that you finish at that end as well, making the ride home to Vaughn shorter, but you could do it the other was as well, starting and finishing in Riviere-Beaudette.

You might find it helpful to read the US E2E page also, which gives more info. It states: "you must ride the entirety of the selected Interstate from and to its opposite endpoint coordinates."

That page is HERE Scroll to the bottom of the page to read the rules.

I hope that helps. @Ira can offer official comments if I am off base.

igurv

Mike...
We did 1600kms...from Toronto to Quebec City and back... it was about 1700 kms..
I can send u route map...which was submitted to IB forum.
Message me.
Thanks

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
We did 1600kms...from Toronto to Quebec City and back... it was about 1700 kms..
Similar routing, but not exactly the same ride.

I look at these sorts of rides sorta like a mini-rally (as in the 'long distance motorcycle' version of the term 'rally') in that you are being asked to follow an explicit set of instructions. Doing so in the defined parameters (time & distance) should mean success.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
Based on your screenshot, the original topic of the thread, and the rules of the ride, it appears that you didn't follow the rules.

From the ride rules page:

"you must ride the entire length of the 401 from before its beginning to after its end within the allotted time and return"

"You must traverse the end points and get DBRs in Riviere-Beaudette, Quebec and Windsor, Ontario"

"You must enter/exit the 401 from Highway 20 on the east end; and exit/enter the 401 to Ojibway Parkway in Windsor in the west. "

It's "401 End to End".

If I misunderstood your travels and you were simply going for an SS1600k, then I apologize.

Either way, though, it's up to the head honchos at the IBA.

Last edited: