48-in-10 Planning Minutiae

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
The Basecamp output was shoved into my GL1800 built-in GPS, and on a whim, I punched out an in-state SS1000 a week ago.

I was quite pleased that the routing was reasonably accurate, and that I didn't confuse the GPS (much) with planned (or unplanned) route deviations.

Now, I'm going to go thru the painful process of extracting the track files from that ride, since they're not automatically stored on the SD card.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
It was probably in an IBA magazine article or another location that one of the sage wise riders and writers from eons ago had some data about what I'll term 'ride capacity'. As I write this, I'm suspecting that this data has been generated thru a bit of analysis of 'Big Dogs' during several IBR's.

The statement was that on days one and two, peak capacity was available, and as the days wind down, the amount of miles leveled off to like 2/3'rds of the miles ridden on days one and two by day nine or ten.

If we interpolate this a bit, if you cracked off a couple of thousand mile days, then leveled off to 600 or 700 each day as part of a multi-day ride, all things being equal, having to deal with the six to ten stops required for each day, getting a 48-10 done in ten days or less is very do-able from a simple.

So, messing a bit with my plans - days one and two were slightly over 1100 miles, then 1000 on day three, then day four to the end is that 600 to 800 mile range. At the end of day four, I'm ~4100 miles - or right close to half distance.

My revised plan? Slightly over 1000 miles on days one and three, 900 and change on days two and four for the same ~4100 miles.

Thus, the same ~64 hours of riding have to be accounted for over 96 hours of time. The revised plan has it spread across the days a bit better.

Comments?

Rollin'

Premier Member
49 state ride
Day 1 was heading east from South Dakota, day 2 and 3 was slower because of east coast traffic, day 4 - 8 central and west coast had less traffic so quicker pace. Day 9 was Canada, I could have pushed and finished but I wanted to end the ride in Hyder on the 4th of July.

The numbers - GPS Mileage and time. 49 States

Day 1 - 1136 miles - 22 hours 44 minutes - 10 States
Day 2 - 796 miles - 15 hours 32 minutes - 6 States
Day 3 - 896 miles - 16 hours 41 minutes - 8 States
Day 4 - 1044 miles - 17 hours 33 minutes - 6 States
Day 5 - 938 miles - 16 hours 40 minutes - 5 States - Some delay for oil change
Day 6 - 1002 miles - 17 hours 31 minutes - 5 States
Day 7 - 1007 miles - 17 hours 28 minutes - 5 States
Day 8 - 1029 miles - 17 hours 58 minutes - 3 states
Day 9 - 777 miles - 17 hours 15 minutes - 0 States - Canada
Day 10 - 165 miles - 3 hours 37 minutes - 1 State - Alaska

Total time - 9 days, 17 hours and 16 minutes

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
How did those actual times compare to your 'planned' times? I know the planned times are sometimes optimistic, but when I see 17 hours for a ~1070 mile day 1, add an hour to that for 'slack' time, I go "18 hours? Do-able!"

Days 1 thru 3 I'm west of Illinois, so I think days of 1071, 993, and 1123 miles might be easier than 1140, 1176 & 999

The end of day 4 puts me back onto my original plan, which puts me back at 720 mile average days - again, using those previously-mentioned statistical averages.

Rollin'

Premier Member
I had to average 880 days a day so my only plan was to ride at least 900 miles a day. I had a target date and time and that average would get me there on time. I was able to sleep a little longer the last day.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
As I have it, I have the standard ten day ride compressed into nine, simply to keep myself from being an overachiever. I'm thinking that four consecutive SS1000's (roughly) might be my limit. I was pretty beat at the end of that SS2000, so as Rollin mentioned on this question I asked elsewhere, maybe planning a day where some rest could be 'caught up' (I know, you never do...) may be a prudent plan.

Day five is skirting around the Chicago area, ending up a bit east of Cleveland. So, sneaking up - some - on the more urban riding might be advantageous.

Trying to locate an area that's not too sketchy is fun from 2000 miles away.

Short answer to the question if you feel good at the end of day four at the 800 mile mark, would you consider going further: it would have to be a 'game-time' decision.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Dragging this back to the top of the pile...

The smart money seems to be running the northeast states on a weekend day, but what I'm not sure I've seen is the ideal time to get moving on this day specifically.

My ride planning does have day 6 as a Saturday, starting in NH, running up to ME to begin the receipt haul. In running southbound, hitting a total of ten states (NH, ME, MA, RI, CT, NJ, DE, DC, MD, ending in WV) my fear early in the run might be selecting locations that may NOT be up and running on a Saturday morning at...well, early (4am? 5am?)

So, for those that *did* a 48 (or 49) state run in the same direction, what time did YOU get rolling - and any issues with the first two or three stops not being open early enough for you??

It sure seems that a couple of these locations might not be operational at those kind of hours, then again, not so sure - and haven't full researched specific operating hours for locations I've chosen.

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Don't forget Vermont and NY you're going to go through NY regardless Vermont will add a few miles to get back to Rhode Island but not as many as coming back at the end

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I caught those states the day before. I'm eastbound at this point, and the intent is to overnight in NH, so NY and VT would have been a bit earlier that day.

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Got it I just jumped to the starting in NH part. Assuming you are going into Maine on I-95 there is gas at Exit 2 Its an Irving open 24 hrs. leaving there you can just head south on the Rt 1 By pass as long as the draw bridge is down and it'll put you right back on 95 after the Portsmouth traffic Circle.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
@rneal55555 Routing goes to the truck stop that's there in Kittery, but I'll presume there's more than one place in the immediate area for fuelling.

I guess my earlier question about what time to get started could be directed to you. This'll start day 6 of my trek, and it's probably the day I dread most of all, simply because it could be quite easy to totally dork this day by missing one of the stops planned.

Google states around 11 hours for the route I've chosen - to be south of the Mason-Dixon line on this day :) and the mileage is the lowest int he plan at around 650. Adding in another 60 to 90 minutes to get the fuel stops accomplished - having that first stop by 0600 *should* minimize traffic - on a Saturday??

I've read this as 'no', but would be interested to see just how many actually do snag it - I mean, since you're fairly close...

Yes, I do have this in my routing.

Smath

Premier Member
When I went through NH it was already mid-day, but it looked like there were plenty of stations where you could pay at the pump, even if they were not open (especially just inside the border from Brattleboro, VT on 9) Lots of traffic in and around Kittery, ME as it appears to be a tourist town so you should be OK there too. The rest should be OK since it'll be later by the time you get there. While my 48/10 put me through the area on a Sunday (not too bad), I've done a SS1K through the same area on a Saturday previously and the traffic was a little worse. No stop and go nightmare, just really busy. Not sure where you plan on ending up in WV, but my route had me in the state for less than 20 miles. I stopped in Falling Waters and there wasn't much there.

As I laid out my fuel stops to document each state, I referenced the location in Google Maps to get operating hours and called ahead if I had doubts. Having said that, I often used unplanned stops to certify the ride but for critical points it's helpful.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
<...>Not sure where you plan on ending up in WV, but my route had me in the state for less than 20 miles. I stopped in Falling Waters and there wasn't much there.<...>
RON in Charles Town, WV.

From there, a hop across the border to VA (Winchester), and then the trek south along I-81.

You can get a lot of detail from Google Maps, but there's nothing like good old intel from others to help in some of these decisions.

Thanks!

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
@rneal55555 Routing goes to the truck stop that's there in Kittery, but I'll presume there's more than one place in the immediate area for fuelling.

I guess my earlier question about what time to get started could be directed to you. This'll start day 6 of my trek, and it's probably the day I dread most of all, simply because it could be quite easy to totally dork this day by missing one of the stops planned.

Google states around 11 hours for the route I've chosen - to be south of the Mason-Dixon line on this day :) and the mileage is the lowest int he plan at around 650. Adding in another 60 to 90 minutes to get the fuel stops accomplished - having that first stop by 0600 *should* minimize traffic - on a Saturday??

I've read this as 'no', but would be interested to see just how many actually do snag it - I mean, since you're fairly close...

Yes, I do have this in my routing.
Sorry I'm just getting back to this on a Saturday you should be fine starting at 6, I don't thing make a lot of difference Summer .rafic around here tends to go North on Fri afternoon and south on Sunday, Saturday morning can sometimes be busy going north but it's not usually bad going south.

I wasn't summer but on my way to San Diego at the end of March I left Saturday morning around 10 went straight down I-95 and the NJ Turnpike there was some traffic in and Around NYC and Baltimore/DC but it was pretty benign. I was on the click for a SS1000 from here to Kings Bay Ga and it had little effect. If it's a Holiday weekend expect it to be a little worse or if there is some localized event it could be different. I'm also assuming you have an EZ Pass. sometimes on the weekends they'll have a limited # of actual pay lanes open so they can back up, but EZ Ppass just sails on through.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
:eek:

Due to some changing situations around the home front, the originally-scheduled period for me to do my 48/10 ride (to conclude immediately before the Labor Day travel weekend) was tossed in favor of one in about four weeks from now.

Thus, I now really have to get my stuff in one sock - quickly.

Routing done - kick-off location finalized - lodging options I know about.

I get one *good* shot at making this successfully; don't want to screw it up!