48 State Ride Starting July 31

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I am getting ready to attempt a IBA 48 state in less than 10 days ride starting Saturday, July 31. I am getting old ( 65 later this year ) and I need to get this ride done as I have been planning it since 2003.

My route is about 7,700 miles and I am going to attempt to finish in around 7 days. For a lot of the ride I hope to be riding at a BBG pace. ;)

Here is a link to a webpage with all of the my ride information.

http://www.gregrice.com/rides/gregrice-48-State-Ride.html

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Surprised that you've not done this one.

I certainly enjoyed my run a couple of years ago. Starting as you are, you shouldn't have much difficulty with traffic in the northeast.

Have fun!

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I am getting ready to attempt a IBA 48 state in less than 10 days ride starting Saturday, July 31. I am getting old ( 65 later this year ) and I need to get this ride done as I have been planning it since 2003.

My route is about 7,700 miles and I am going to attempt to finish in around 7 days. For a lot of the ride I hope to be riding at a BBG pace. ;)

Here is a link to a webpage with all of the my ride information.

http://www.gregrice.com/rides/gregrice-48-State-Ride.html
Fun ride, loved mine! Enjoy it.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Have you considered staying on I-90 west in SD and hitting the stateline fuel station in WY THEN double-back and head north into ND? That should be a LOT faster than the round-trip into Cowly, WY from Laurel.

Last edited:

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Have you considered staying on I-94 west in SD and hitting the stateline fuel station in WY THEN double-back and head north into ND? That should be a LOT faster than the round-trip into Cowly, WY from Laurel.
I know you mean I-90 in SD as I know the Stateline gas station. I will take a look and see what the distance is to double back to SD and then north at Spearfish up US 85 to ND. I will let you know if it makes a difference.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I made a route with your suggestion and it does save 85 miles and one hour. Thanks for the suggestion. :)
Great!

More than the 85 miles, it will likely save you significantly more than one hour. That highway between Laurel and Cowly can become overrun with RV's, ranch traffic, and Looky-Loos. Passing can be difficult. Having to do it twice on the clock can be maddening.

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Great!

More than the 85 miles, it will likely save you significantly more than one hour. That highway between Laurel and Cowly can become overrun with RV's, ranch traffic, and Looky-Loos. Passing can be difficult. Having to do it twice on the clock can be maddening.
Your suggestion made me have to change my leg two route, state checklist, GPX file, load new waypoints and routes to the GPS's, Google map, my webpage and images. Thanks, I think. :)