48 States-3Countries in 10 Days Mexico Border Crossing

I am working on a 48 States-3Countries (49+2?) route for next year. I stole (borrowed?) the basis for the route from http://www.mctourer.com/rides/2005_48Plus/Laughlin.html, and in general it looks really good.

The big question I have about it is their Mexico border crossing: they head south 36 miles from Deming, NM to Puerto Palomas, Mex, then head back to Deming again. I have no idea why they routed it this way. There are several border crossing between El Paso and Esparanza, TX that are much closer to the Interstate. It may have been because of the time of day they were in that area? Is there some reason to avoid the TX border crossings? I live in CA, so I don't exactly frequent that area.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I've not been at that crossing, specifically, but you'd want to find a crossing that would not be crowded in the general time of day/day of the week you'll want to cross to pick up that receipt.

At the time that route was created, that was probably a familiar location to the individual that generated that route. Pick up a trinket at The Pink Store and call it good??

In my searches, the 2012 versions of the 48-Plus rides seemed to have omitted Mexico.