48 under 10

I’m doing the 48/10 June 15th and I’m starting in Oklahoma and I seen a perfect map that someone had posted online but I can’t find it on here. I’m also wondering besides the maps that I’ll be carrying with me is there a way to download any maps from anyones previous trips. Thanks.

MotoToph

Mototoph
Premier Member
Assuming you are using a GPS that accepts them you can download the GPX file and load it into your navigator and customize it to yourself. There are phone navigation apps that utilize gpx files as well.

Gerry Arel

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Are you planning a single line route to complete it efficiently or are you looking at a loop? Also, if you're adding in certain POIs along the way that will change it somewhat.

Of note, if you're not familiar with the northeast, plan that area carefully.

kerrizor

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
There's a number of routes and variations, certainly nothing canonical; a lot depends on your start/stop requirements.. for instance, I live in Seattle, and have family in New England, so for me it was easy to build a relatively short route (7300mi) that started in New England and ended just 2-3 hours from home. If you need to finish near where you start, a sort of circle route, that's going to be very individualized.. some previous routes might help, depending on where you're starting, but you likely still can (or may need to) do some research and modifications to optimize for you and you alone.

Dave28117

Premier Member
I followed along with Greg's ride last summer and when my time comes, will use his as a basis. I'm in Charlotte NC, close to where he came though. I'll modify it to start here and loop up to eastern TN and then KY, then pick up his track. I'll have to extend his finish up to GA and SC for my finish.

Rollin'

Premier Member
I’m doing the 48/10 June 15th and I’m starting in Oklahoma and I seen a perfect map that someone had posted online but I can’t find it on here. I’m also wondering besides the maps that I’ll be carrying with me is there a way to download any maps from anyones previous trips. Thanks.
For my 48-state ride I added 26 waypoints to the GPS and numbered them in order. The 26 waypoints were enough to create the route.
On the 49-state ride I added 49 waypoints to the GPS, one for each state and each one was a gas station (except Hyder) as close to the interstate as I could find.

48 -

49 -

I also had note cards and removed each one after I had that state receipt. Didn't want to miss any states.

m a u r a

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Man. I’m gonna do the cards too now
Cards good. I use envelopes. I purchase #1 coin envelopes , white, which are envelopes that have the opening at the narrow side. You can write on them like the cards, but then you can put the receipt inside and seal it. They are more substantial than the poor quality paper of the receipts. Keeps the receipts safe and organized until you finish. I write the locations before I start, then write the mileage on the envelope.

Gerry Arel

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I considered using cards but instead opted for a simple spreadsheet listing all my states/stops in order. I put my planned gas stops in numerical order starting from #11 (made Basecamp sequential numbering easier).
I treated stops like a rally bonus stop. I got my receipt, logged it on my 'scoresheet' with date/time/ODO. I put the receipt into a ziplock bag in my rally binder and then entered the next waypoint number on the sheet into the GPS.
As a backup to GPS I had the lat/long as well as as close address I could find printed out on another sheet in numerical order (like a rallybook). That was overkill but I planned it during the winter and I had the time.
I found it easy to just concentrate on the next numbered stop. If I came from 15, then I was going to 16. If I forgot what number I was at, a quick glance at the log showed me.

EDIT .. my 'sheet' was very similar to what Greg posted, I just added in time/date/ODO lines

Last edited:

camelmd

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
During my 49/10, I had a 3-ring binder with baseball card sleeves. I had each sleeve labeled with the state in the order that I would obtain them. I would store my receipts in the associated sleeve. Great visual reference for the receipts vs states.