50CC Gold Question

I need help please!, Under the information for the 50CC Quest and the 50 CC Gold, the gold states the requirements are a 50CC Quest or a SS2000 must be completed before attempting the 50CC Gold. Can this be done in a combination ride all at the same time? Or does the required rides have to be certified and on file first before a 50 CC Gold can be scheduled. I appreciate any help you can give me. Planning the 50 CC Gold in May of 2021, and want to be sure all my ducks are in a row. Folks if you all have any tips for doing this ride, I'd sure love to hear them. I have gained a lot of information from the forum and the site. Mahalo for the help!

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I think the problem with doing the rides together in one ride is the same issue with any 'nested' rides. If you did a 50CC Gold, riding 2900+ miles in 50 hours, you pretty much had to have ridden a SS2k in the process. Because of that, you can't claim both rides, as I understand it.

You live in NV according to your profile. You're planning your 50CC Gold for May. Take a weekend and do a SS2K ride and submit it. If queried later about your 50CC Gold submission, just let them know you previously submitted the SS2k ride and when, but that it hasn't been verified yet. I wouldn't worry about waiting until it's verified and you have a cert hanging on the wall. The point is to make sure you know what you're in for and hopefully are prepared. 50CC Gold works out to a min of 58 mph average speed for 50 hours. A little less than a BBG pace. By comparison a SS1k is only ~42 mph. But it's about being able to function well on back to back full riding days.

Doing a 50CC Gold or back to back BBGs is partly about preparation, partly about focus and partly about wanting it enough to keep going. May can be wet, cold and miserable in much of the US. Heated gear, hydration system, a solid routine for gas stops and a very good knowledge of your bike's range under varying conditions will help greatly.

Good luck, plan the ride, ride the plan, be prepared to modify the plan on the fly.

This has been most helpful! Thanks so much. :) I'll take that weekend ride get the SS2000 submit, and then will be good for the Gold to come. We will be sure that we can make the ride and be prepared. Half of my fun is in the planning, and having an alternate plan too. The ride is the challenge and my wind therapy. Thanks again Eric. Have a great day.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I need help please!, Under the information for the 50CC Quest and the 50 CC Gold, the gold states the requirements are a 50CC Quest or a SS2000 must be completed before attempting the 50CC Gold. Can this be done in a combination ride all at the same time? Or does the required rides have to be certified and on file first before a 50 CC Gold can be scheduled. I appreciate any help you can give me. Planning the 50 CC Gold in May of 2021, and want to be sure all my ducks are in a row. Folks if you all have any tips for doing this ride, I'd sure love to hear them. I have gained a lot of information from the forum and the site. Mahalo for the help!
We want you to complete the prerequisite ride prior to attempting the 50cc GOLD so you have some idea of what the GOLD ride will take. As long as the prerequisite ride has been submitted before your attempt (but ot necessarily certified), you are OK.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association