50CC Quest Ride Report

Ani

50 CC Quest – Ride Report

San Diego, CA – Jacksonville Beach, FL

My adventure really started in December 2020, when I started thinking/planning the ride. They say planning is half the fun. That is so true! Figuring out the variables – ideal route, speed limits in various states that I would traverse, weather along the route, gas stops, gadgets needed, emergency actions, etc. was all part of the fun. I am a member of several long-distance riding forums online. I got many great tips from those who had trodden this path before me.

My existing bike – a 2016 Harley Davidson Road King already had about 40,000 miles on it and had given me problems, some big and others just small irritations, on every ride. I was hesitant to take it on such a long ride and therefore bought a new BMW K1600 GTL in January 2021. The Harley would remain my local ride bike, while the BMW would be used for the long distance/time-sensitive rides. After I bought the BMW, and rode it for a few hundred miles, I realized some of the additions/add-on (“farkles”), I would need for the long ride. So, I added the highway pegs, Air Hawk seat cushion, Sevina auxiliary LED headlights and the brake light on the top case. I also bought a new riding suit from KLIM (now, wouldn’t it be embarrassing to be seen on a BMW wearing my Harley branded gear?? Lol)

The ride was slated for March 25, 2020. I live in Dallas, and getting to either of the coasts is a long ride in itself. I wanted to do most of the ride with the sun behind me, so the plan was to do a SaddleSore 1000 (SS1000) from Dallas to Jacksonville Beach (approx. 1031 miles), rest a day in Jacksonville Beach and then start the big ride on March 27, from Jacksonville Beach, Florida to San Diego, California (approx. 2400 miles). Everything was set, include charting my route and stops on my Garmin GPS. As luck turned out, there was a thunderstorm forecast for the east coast on March 25, which meant, I would be riding in the rain pretty much all through the SS1000 to Jacksonville Beach. I have ridden in the rain several times before, but it’s not fun. I kept my fingers crossed right until the morning of March 24, but the weather Gods did not favor me. Finally, after much contemplation, the morning on March 24, I changed my mind and decided to switch directions. I would start the big ride in San Diego and ride eastwards towards the Atlantic coast. But then, compared to Jacksonville Beach, Dan Diego is about 300 miles farther from Dallas. So I planned to start on the 24th evening, cover the 300 miles incremental distance, and spend the night in Big Spring, TX. The 3 months that I had spent planning every minute detail went down the drain. Lesson learnt – planning is important/useful, but you still have to be flexible. There are so many variables that you just cannot control.

March 24

I started my ride from Dallas at around 4 pm on March 24th and headed towards Big Spring, TX. It was an easy ride until about 10 miles from Big Spring. Those last 10 miles were challenging…. actually, more annoying than challenging. There were heavy winds and for those who are familiar with West Texas, there are no mountains to block the winds. It’s just open land. So the winds were throwing dust all around. I was wearing a full-face helmet and a neck gator, but the dust was still finding its way to my face. Also, unlike my 900-pound Harley, it did take a bit of extra effort to keep the BMW stable in all that wind. The BMW is about 150 pounds lighter than my Harley. Other than those last 10 miles, the ride was quite uneventful.

My lovely wife had packed my dinner so I wouldn’t have to waste time finding a restaurant in Big Spring. I ate my packed ham sandwiches and protein shake and hit the bed.

March 25

I had set the alarm for 3 am, but with all the excitement/adrenaline, I was up a few minutes before the alarm went off. Quickly did my morning routine, got some coffee in me (I like super strong black coffee and Starbucks instant coffee packets are a life-saver when the hotel staff is not even up yet) and went to the nearest gas station to fill my tank. I got my first DBR (dated business receipt) and started the SS1000 to San Diego at around 4 a.m. I rode about 4 miles and realized that in all the excitement I had forgotten to switch on my Spotwalla tracker. I pulled over on the shoulder of the highway and switched it on. No biggie, the Spotwalla was not a requirement…. but a “nice to have” as proof of the ride. I also had my DBR anyways to evidence the start of my ride. The ride was quite smooth most of the way. I stopped several times just to turn on/off my GoPro at some interesting spots along the way.

At around 2;30 pm (local time), when I was riding through Tucson, AZ, I noticed that I was riding close to the left side of my lane. I was surprised to find myself so close to the left lane marker, because it was not intentional. I usually ride in the right third of my lane. Anyway, I dismissed it the first time, but after a couple of minutes I again found myself in that position. Thanks to the Iron Butt Association’s riding tips, I immediately realized what was happening. Inability to maintain your lane is one of the classic signs of fatigue. It is one thing to have read about the many signs of fatigue and quite another to recognize them when they actually occur. I am so glad I did! I immediately took the next exit and treated myself to a super strong black coffee at Starbucks (they call it the “Red Eye” in Starbucks parlance). I stretched a bit, talked to my wife and after about 20 minutes I was fully energized to hit the road again. The ride was awesome. Open roads for hundreds of miles. Also, near the New Arizona/California border, I was in spitting distance of the Mexico border. I saw armed border patrol with their ATVs/sniffer dogs scouring through the area looking for illegals hiding in the shrubbery. It was almost like they show in the movies. It was amazing, but sad at the same time.

At around 7:30 pm (local time) I made a stop in Holtville, CA. With only 125 to San Diego, I was quite confident I would make it in less than 2 hours. So, I should be in my hotel in San Diego by 9:30 pm. Little did I know what the weather Gods had in store for me. As I headed into the mountains towards San Diego, passing through Live Oak Springs and Boulder Oaks, into the Pine Valley area, the temperature dropped quickly and significantly (the dash on my BMW showed 32 deg F.). It was already dark. Then the winds set in, with the wind advisory signboards showing 60 mph winds. I was cold and struggling a bit to keep my bike straight. A few miles into this ordeal, it started raining and then the fog set in. Visibility was reduced to less than 100 feet. I could barely see ahead of me. The twisty roads in the mountains did not help, neither did the cars that were zipping past me. On one side was a rock wall and ravine on the other. Well…. I couldn’t see either side very well in the fog. So, I reduced my speed to 30 mph, turned on my hazard blinkers and stayed close to the painted center line. I actually prayed to make it out of there in 1 piece. The moment I cleared the mountains, it was all good. Rain had turned to a light drizzle, and the wind was gone. I finally reached the end gas station in San Diego at 10:05 pm. Lessons learnt:
  • Be prepared (and carry clothing) for all kinds of weather.
  • Don’t underestimate the effect of weather
  • Every iron butt ride is different. I had done an iron butt ride (SS 1000) earlier, but compared to what I had just been through, that seemed like a walk in the park!
It wasn’t so much about the extra 45 minutes that I took to ride through that last 125-mile stretch, but the stress/constant focus/concentration completely sapped my energy and left me totally exhausted. I was just so glad to have made it out of that hell. It took me almost 20 hours to complete the SS1000.

March 26

The next day (March 26) was rest day. I woke up at around noon and just spent the day chillin’ at Ocean Beach which was right next to my hotel. Went out for a short ride in the evening to explore the area a bit. Had a stiff drink in the evening, ate a hearty meal and hit the bed at around 10 pm. Tomorrow was going to be a big day…that is when the “real ride” starts.

March 27

I got my starting DBR at 4 a.m. Rode 1160 miles and spent the night in Junction, TX. Totally uneventful ride. Exactly how I wanted it to be. I slept for about 6 hours in Junction.

March 28

I woke up at 5:30 a.m., performed my morning routine and was filling gas at 6:30 a.m. to start the day’s ride. Had approximately 1,200 miles to cover that day. Didn’t have to worry about finding 24h gas stations, as I was starting rather late and many of the gas stations open at 6 a.m. It was a bit chilly in the morning, but nothing crazy. It was a Sunday morning, so breezed through San Antonio and Houston areas (the usual time suck areas) with no trouble at all. There was construction around Houston, but again, the light Sunday morning traffic made it a non-issue.

One of my gas stops around noon was in Anahuac, TX. I didn’t realize it then, but that turned out to be a critical stop. It marked my riding 1,513 miles in 29:16 hours. That DBR would later serve as my evidence of the successful completion of the “Bun Burner - Silver” (1500 miles in 30 hours) nested within the 50CC ride.

Met a bunch of local riders at a gas stop in Daphne, AL at around 7:30 pm. It was already dark, and they warned me of herds of deer they had seen eastwards on I-10. So, for the next several miles I turned on my Sevinas on full blast, much to the chagrin of other motorists, who used their middle finger quite liberally to express their sentiments. I couldn’t care less….it was my safety/my life. I am sure they could handle the irritation of high beams. I kept my eyes peeled but fortunately, I didn’t have any deer sightings/encounters.

My next stop was at 11 PM at the Shell gas station in Quincy, FL. That was supposed to be a 24h gas station (per Mr. Google). I was running low on fuel and therefore took the exit to fill up my tank. The pumps were open, so I filled gas. However, the receipt did not print from the pump. So, I tried to go inside the station and get a receipt from the attendant. They were cleaning the station inside and signaled to me that the station was closed. I checked the operating times posted on the station door, which indicated that the gas station closes at 10 PM on Sunday. So here I was…. gas filled, but no receipt to prove it. And at 11 pm, it’s rather deserted in Quincy, FL. So, I did whatever I could think of in the moment. I took pictures of myself in front of the gas station. I also took picture of the actual gas pump which showed how much gas I purchased. Disturbing thoughts of the entire ride not being certified started flirting with my mind. I panicked and called my wife (which is what I usually do when I panic). She is great at calming my nerves and being the voice of reason. She reminded me of my Spotwalla tracker and, more importantly, the fact that the IBA WANTS to work with riders to make them successful in these long-distance rides. It was unreasonable of me to think these small snafus, which are probably quite common on long distance rides, would jeopardize my entire ride. Sure enough, this turned out to be a non-event at the end.
Picture1.jpg
March 29

I finally reached the Circle K gas station in Jacksonville Beach at 2:24 AM Eastern Time. My odometer clocked 2,346 miles. I had completed the 50CC ride in exactly 43 hours! The feeling when you complete this kind of a ride is indescribable - a blend of ecstasy, relief and accomplishment. I was starving, and the only restaurant open at that unearthly hour was an IHop. So, I celebrated my ride with a solo fine-dining experience at IHop at 2:30 AM. I was not sleepy at all. I guess it was the adrenaline doing its job. I checked into the hotel at around 3:30 AM.

IMG_2035.jpg

The next time I saw the clock, it was noon. I spent the day at Jacksonville beach and just relaxed. Took a stroll on the beach in the evening, had a few drinks and went to bed at 10 pm.

March 30

I had planned to do another SS1000 from Jacksonville Beach to my home in Dallas. And that’s exactly what I did. I woke up at around 3 AM and got ready. Went to the hotel lobby to check out. The attendant was kind enough to put on a pot of fresh coffee for me. I enjoyed the coffee, shared a smoke with the attendant, did some small chit-chat (at 3:30 AM!!) and hit the road at around 4 AM. Riding through Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana I reached home at around 9:30 PM. My biker friends from Dallas, who had been tracking my ride, gave me a surprise by showing up at my house that night and congratulating/felicitating me on the successful ride. It was AMAZING!! Since then, they have renamed me “Iron Bhutt” which is a twist on my last name “Bhat” (pronounced “Bhut”).

The whole ride was an unforgettable experience. I am fortunate to have got a chance to see a sliver of “America the beautiful” on 2 wheels. I am fortunate to have met some really friendly people along the way. Total strangers at gas stations who were keen to chat with me, coffee stop baristas who gave me free coffee when they saw me in my riding suit, hotel staff who were willing to put on a fresh coffee pot for me at 3 AM although it was not part of their regular schedule and so many more.

Attachments

Firstpeke

An interesting read for a great ride!

Thanks for posting!

I had a problem on my last certified ride where my last 24 hour fuel stop was closed due to a comms outage on the pay at pump....... I sweated the last section, low fuel, in the dark with a howling gale and rain!!!! I had been on reserve for about 20 miles!!! Made it though!

Garage Monster

Premier Member
IBA Member
Congratulations for a great ride. Mine was from Santa Monica, CA to Tybee Island , GA and was longer but I mad it. Planning could have been better as my stop during the ride was in Reno, Oklahoma and it was 32 degrees. I was frozen. Last stop on Tybee Island at about 2:00 AM and the station had forgotten to leave the pumps on. Lots of lights but no gas. Found a bar open and nice lady made me an order of French Fries so I had my receipt.
I know hoe you feel. Relish it and be proud.
Robert