50cc question

Hello,

If this is a stupid question please be kind. I am wanting to do a Coast to Coast ride and live near Blain Washington (as far North and West as you can get in the US). I can touch salt water there in Birch Bay to begin my ride. Would this be considered a coastal city?

Thank you!

CB650F

Premier Member
My interpretation of the Coast to Coast rides is that you start on the coast of the Atlantic Ocean and end on the coast of the Pacific Ocean, or Pacific to Atlantic if you prefer. Blaine is definitely a coastal city, but that's not the Pacific Ocean; it's the Semiahmoo Bay, or Straight of Georgia depending on exactly where the boundaries are. Blaine is like Seattle in that regard. It has water access, but I don't think it's the right body of water.

I would head over to Neah Bay or to La Push and start there instead. Those cities (if you can call them cities) are more of what I'd consider Pacific Ocean coastal.

That being said, the Billfish to Orca ride (or in your case, Orca to Billfish) does mention dipping your foot in the Atlantic at Key West and Pacific at Blaine, so I suspect the official IBA stance is that Blaine is a Pacific Coast city and would meet the requirements.

Last edited:

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Blaine sits on the Strait of Georgia. The Strait of Georgia is part of the Salish Sea. The Salish Sea is a marginal sea of the Pacific Ocean. So Blaine is on the Pacific Ocean. Moreover, if you zoom out the map, one can see that if Vancouver Island didn't exist, it would clearly be on the Pacific. :)

Just out of curiosity, what is your Atlantic end point for the 50cc?

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

I have not picked an end point yet and am looking at what routes might work. It is true the mileage is quite high and ultimately I may have to pick a different starting point, however there is something I like about being able to start near where I live.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I have not picked an end point yet and am looking at what routes might work. It is true the mileage is quite high and ultimately I may have to pick a different starting point, however there is something I like about being able to start near where I live.
A common grouping of rides for PacNorWet IBA riders is to do a Border to Border ride down I-5, then get some sleep and do the 50CC from San Diego, CA to Jacksonville, FL. (I used to live in Portland, OR) It adds about 700 miles to your ride Vs the 50CC from Blaine to the New York coast, but adds a cert and gives you a more reasonable 50CC ride and a built in excuse to ride to San Diego. ;)

CB650F

Premier Member
Maybe start down by Fidalgo Island. If Blaine is on the Pacific, I don't see how Fidalgo Island wouldn't be. You'd also be passing by there if you started in Blaine, so you're saving some time on the run.

Messing around with Google Maps indicates that your best bet is to head over to Delaware or New York. 43 hours and 2950ish miles depending on exactly where you stop. The typical southern route between Jacksonville and San Diego is 10 hours and ~600 miles shorter. Looks like I-5 end to end is about 21 hours and 1400 miles. Doing both, as Eric suggests, is an additional half a day's riding and a few miles.

Except that's not the whole story. If you actually ride from coast to coast, you've got to return home after. (Unless you are like Tim from Forty Times Around.) That adds a bit to the ride that should be considered. Going back home from Delaware or New York means retracing your original route. It's not an enjoyable route IMO; too many big cities and no fun roads. Going back home from Jacksonville means you get to ride through Tennessee and Kentucky. You are a very short ride over to the Smokey Mountains and the infamous Tail of the Dragon. I would take an extra day there and enjoy the wonderful roads in that area. It's a beautiful part of the country. Rapid City is worth a day or two also. The Black Hills are fantastic! I think the ride back from Jacksonville will be much more enjoyable than New York/Delaware. You'll get to see different parts of the country for just a little bit more mileage. And you'll get a second cert. Actually, a few more certs since you can easily do a BBG on the way back, or SS1000, or even SS2000, or probably a dozen other potential rides.

In fact, I'm heading up to the Rapid City area next month. I'll be there probably all summer. My RV isn't too glamorous, but it's free lodging, all the Cajun food you can eat, a private tour around The Black Hills, and free laundry facilities. No matter where you end your 50cc, going through Rapid City is the fastest way back home.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I am liking the idea of doing a boarder to boarder and using the Jacksonville/San Diego route. If the boarders open I might try that.
Pirates are boarders, countries have borders. ;)

If the borders are closed, the I-5 End 2 End is the same route, but doesn't require crossing the borders. (mentioned by CB650F).

@CB650F - Fidalgo Island isn't much of a time saver due to traffic on the island. Ferries run out of Anacortes and it's a popular tourist area with slower road speeds. (I guess it really depends on where you wanted to get your water) If anything, just going to the water's edge in Bellingham harbor would be quicker, but I like Antibus' concept of starting in Blaine since he lives there. The 40 miles is longer than the ~10 or so, but considering the 50CC route from Blaine or Fidalgo, either is seriously challenging beyond even a SF to NY Coast to Coast ride.

When riding from San Diego to Jacksonville so most stay on I10'ish? Are there areas to go around? In the pacific northwest traffic is terrible without the benefit of seasoned drivers like in Cali, and it is sometimes faster to drive many more miles to avoid a choke point. Any thoughts?

CB650F

Premier Member
Yes, stick with I-10. It's easier than splitting off and taking I-20 even though I-10 isn't in great condition. Try to not hit Houston during rush hour. That can cost you a bit of time and there isn't a time saving way to get around bad traffic. Houston can really suck in the evenings! Lane splitting is illegal in Texas, but it can help you save some time if you hit traffic. You are clearly old enough to make that decision for yourself. You might also want to take the loop around the north east corner of San Antonio to save a few minutes. If you miss the exit, don't worry. It only saves a few minutes and isn't worth trying to turn around for. I-10 straight through San Antonio is a completely reasonable route. It's also easy to follow I-10 signs. Less thought involved.

And you'll definitely want to take I-12 over by Baton Rouge instead of taking I-10 down to New Orleans. That can save you about half an hour if there's no traffic, an hour or maybe hour and a half if traffic is bad. When you are getting to Baton Rouge, you'll go over the Mississippi River. Traffic will slow considerably in the middle lane of the bridge. That's the lane you'll need to end up in, but there's no reason to sit in that traffic. Get in the far right lane to fly past the traffic. That lane will turn into an exit only lane, but you'll have enough time to merge. Everything is clearly marked on the signs and in each lane on the road itself. Just be careful! People drive like they are insane around Baton Rouge and they certainly aren't looking for motorcycles.

Basically, Houston and Baton Rouge are the two places you'll have to pay attention to your route. Everywhere else should be smooth sailing as far as traffic is concerned. Fuel stations can be kinda far apart between El Paso and San Antonio, so keep that in mind. If you're like me, and stop about every 125 mile for fuel, it can get a little dicey. High speed limits though so you can make up some time there.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
A common start/stop point is just west of I-8's terminus. Example: 32.7511738, -117.241849

Continuing along Sunset Cliffs Blvd, you'll find a few more fuel opportunities. There are a few lodging opportunities close by, though many will stay a few miles to the east in the region called "Motel Circle"

The 50CC is a fun ride - enjoy!

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
When riding from San Diego to Jacksonville so most stay on I10'ish? Are there areas to go around? In the pacific northwest traffic is terrible without the benefit of seasoned drivers like in Cali, and it is sometimes faster to drive many more miles to avoid a choke point. Any thoughts?
If you stay on I-10 you will go through New Orleans. While a good place to party it is not the best place to ride through on a 50CC. I-12 bypasses New Orleans

I believe there is also a bypass to get around San Antonio which is FM 1604. Despite not being an interstate it should save time. I believe I took it on the eastbound leg of my 100CCC but not westbound. Perhaps someone else can comment on that

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
On the topic of a 50CC, what time of day are people typically leaving Jacksonville to minimalize traffic issues around New Orleans and Houston?

My linear thinking is that leaving Jax at midnight puts you near the greater New Orleans geographical region at morning rush hour, and Houston around lunch (local time). Is it best to do that, or leave Jax around 8-9 am and get past Houston after dark?

Last edited:

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
On the topic of a 50CC, what time of day are people typically leaving Jacksonville to minimalize traffic issues around New Orleans and Houston?

My linear thinking is that leaving Jax at midnight puts you near N'awlins at morning rush hour, and Houston around lunch (local time). Is it best to do that, or leave Jax around 8-9 am and get past Houston after dark?
But there is no reason to go into New Orleans, it adds unnecessary miles and time since you can get on I-12 and bypass it

Regarding start time, some (like me) do better when we stay close to our normal sleep patterns. If I depart at midnight I will be starting with only 2-3 hours sleep. I do much better with a 4 or 5am departure.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
But there is no reason to go into New Orleans, it adds unnecessary miles and time since you can get on I-12 and bypass it
My question is about the best time of day to traverse the greater New Orleans and Houston geographical regions, not the specific roads to take.

Prior post edited so that we don't get sucked into another series of arguments over highway numbers.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I left at 0100 from Jax but I had planned a BBG at the same time. Didn't worry about Louisiana, but planned my ride with arrival in the Houston region by 1100 local time. It worked out successfully.