50CC Suggestions...

BMW RT Pilot

Premier Member
Looking to get a 50CC in with the start point in SD and finishing in Jacksonville. Anyone who has done this and can offer suggestions as to the best place to stay so that I can get the obligatory water and sand (and enjoy some beach time), as well as firsthand knowledge of what's going on in those areas with our current circumstances would be helpful.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Wasn't this discussed already, you can't nest a I-10E2E and a 50CC since doing the E2E in 48 hrs means you had to have done a 50CC?

Unless you are doing an E2E heading East and a 50CC heading West, which would totally work.

BMW RT Pilot

Premier Member
I thought I sent my reply earlier but doofus me seems to have forgotten to have hit 'send'. :)

Anyhow, when I posted my original question, I was only in the preliminary phase of brainstorming; I knew OF the E2E rides, but I never looked at the specifics of them. Now that I have, I wonder what the approving authority was thinking on the I-10 E1E, specifically.

So, the I-10 E2E, and that's the specific ride I'll be talking about for this discussion, is 2,457 miles and is, for all intents and purposes, a 50CC for those who run this route. Now I don't read every single rider's report on their successful completion of a 50CC, but most talk about stopping for a couple of hours in a hotel for sleep. I don't know what times they finish these rides, because the IBA doesn't want these rides to become a race, but it seems that this length of a ride in a mere 39 hours is all but asking the riders to forego sleep and to ride at an excessive speed, two things the IBA claims to be against.

Let me explain a bit more:

A Saddlesore 2000 Gold is 2000 miles in 36 hours. A Saddlesore 3000 Gold is 3000 miles in 54 hours. I've completed multiples of the first and one of the latter (plus a BBG 3000). Since the distance for the E2E falls right in the middle of these two rides, shouldn't the time for a Gold ride be more like 45 hours? That's the difference of 54-36 added to 36.

I don't ride with an extra 5 gallons of fuel. I don't have $5000 in police countermeasures on the bike. I don't ride at triple-digit speeds. I am not saying that these are required to complete the E2E, and I haven't looked for those who have finished it, so I might be wrong, but at the same time, there's just something that 'feels' wrong with having so little time to finish this ride (Gold-level).

So, thoughts on that are appreciated, but the original purpose of this thread was asking about good spots on the coasts for a 50CC in terms of accommodations and beach access.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I stayed at the same Ramada Inn the IBA has used for years in Jacksonville - which is about a 25+ minute ride to Jax Bch.

On my ride, many beachfront areas were cleaning up after Hurricane Matthew hit the area - and beach access was closed for miles, which I knew from my scouting ride the day before.

Thus, all I got was sand.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Let me explain a bit more:

A Saddlesore 2000 Gold is 2000 miles in 36 hours. A Saddlesore 3000 Gold is 3000 miles in 54 hours. I've completed multiples of the first and one of the latter (plus a BBG 3000). Since the distance for the E2E falls right in the middle of these two rides, shouldn't the time for a Gold ride be more like 45 hours? That's the difference of 54-36 added to 36.

I don't ride with an extra 5 gallons of fuel. I don't have $5000 in police countermeasures on the bike. I don't ride at triple-digit speeds. I am not saying that these are required to complete the E2E, and I haven't looked for those who have finished it, so I might be wrong, but at the same time, there's just something that 'feels' wrong with having so little time to finish this ride (Gold-level).

So, thoughts on that are appreciated, but the original purpose of this thread was asking about good spots on the coasts for a 50CC in terms of accommodations and beach access.
The difference is the increase in the average required speed. Really meaning the need for managing stopped time well and efficiency, not excess speeding. SS Gold multiple rides are based on 55.5 mph average speeds, Vs the 42 mph average for a SS1K. A SS3K Gold is just three back to back SS1K rides at that 55 mph average speed. The standard SS3K gives you three full 24 hour periods, average speed 42 mph, which is not an 'extreme' ride.

The I-10 E2E on the other hand is a specified route ride and all interstate. So the Gold version is an 'extreme' ride with a BBG pace of 63 mph. The basic version has a slower average speed of 52 mph. I don't know for sure, but I suspect any rides with average speeds below BBG pace are not considered 'extreme' by the IBA.

Back to lodging. How much are you willing to spend to be close to the beach? LINK Look for the easies route in and finish the ride with your Recipt, then worry about sand/water and lodging.

There is a 24 Hr Circle K at 1403 3rd St N, Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250 with public parking and beach access 3 blocks East on 13th Ave N.

I was giving some thought of what @kwthom was saying- not a lot of people have done the E2E rides yet so I am thinking of doing the I-10 E2E WB going out and the I-40 E2E EB heading home. I had originally planned on completing a 50CC along with a Why? Why Not?! for the return leg, but decided to do this instead. Besides, it can always become a 50CC if I don't make the time limit.

dmcqueeney

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Another possibility we envisioned was nesting the I-40 E2E in a 50CC. This would add (nominally) a little over 2 hours at the western end of the E2E and essentially no time in the east. This may be feasible for your plan, depending on your schedule and the timing leaving from the west coast (especially at LA). There are two basic routes from Santa Monica to Barstow, 130 miles (urban expressways) & 140 miles (high desert). Recommend checking the frequently updated CA road conditions.
... Dave

BMW RT Pilot

Premier Member
Another possibility we envisioned was nesting the I-40 E2E in a 50CC. This would add (nominally) a little over 2 hours at the western end of the E2E and essentially no time in the east. This may be feasible for your plan, depending on your schedule and the timing leaving from the west coast (especially at LA). There are two basic routes from Santa Monica to Barstow, 130 miles (urban expressways) & 140 miles (high desert). Recommend checking the frequently updated CA road conditions.
... Dave
That's a good idea; I'll just have to find a bunker I can hunker down in while in CA. :)