6 AN fuel shutoff valve

RobG4

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Looking for suggestions for a quality -6AN aux fuel shutoff valve. I have an Earl's shutoff valve now (see attached picture) but it leaks.

I arrived home with a couple of gallons in my OEM tank and a full aux tank, and in 24 hours the aux tank was almost empty, the OEM tank was full, and fuel was dumping overboard from the factory overflow tube.

I checked and the valve was fully closed.

Mystery dripping from the factory overflow had perplexed me for a while, and I couldn't figure out what was going on until this happened.

Thanks

Attachments

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Google Hydraulic hose supply in Montgomery, AL and you'll come up with a few shops to call that likely will have commercial grade -6AN valves on the shelf. (for a lot less than the Earls too) I've had very good success with hose fittings from similar shops in various parts of the US over the years.

RobG4

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Google Hydraulic hose supply in Montgomery, AL and you'll come up with a few shops to call that likely will have commercial grade -6AN valves on the shelf. (for a lot less than the Earls too) I've had very good success with hose fittings from similar shops in various parts of the US over the years.
Excellent Eric, I'll do that. Thanks for the suggestion.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Should work nicely. Frankly, the -6AN requirement was a limiting factor. I like the AN design, but for moto projects it's sometimes not worth the extra cost and it limits availability and field service actions.

Edit - Just on the off chance you're not already familiar with these details, Teflon tape is not fuel compatible. The yellow Gas Seal tape is, and it's thicker. It won't dissolve in gas like Teflon tape will. Easy to find and inexpensive.

RobG4

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Should work nicely. Frankly, the -6AN requirement was a limiting factor. I like the AN design, but for moto projects it's sometimes not worth the extra cost and it limits availability and field service actions.

Edit - Just on the off chance you're not already familiar with these details, Teflon tape is not fuel compatible. The yellow Gas Seal tape is, and it's thicker. It won't dissolve in gas like Teflon tape will. Easy to find and inexpensive.
Thanks, yeah I use the yellow tape from Gasoila.

I have a couple of 3/8 NPT to -6 AN adapters, so fitment in the end shouldn't be an issue. Just more to tape.