A couple of Aussies attempting a US 100CCC - need some advice

sixty6north

Hi fellow asylum members. A mate and will be in the US in May/June to do some riding - our first objective is to knock of a 100CCC between Long Beach CA (where we will be picking up our bikes) and Jacksonville FL.

We have each completed a 100CCC Insanity Gold in Australia (amongst numerous other rides), so this is not our first rodeo . . . but we are at disadvantage with local knowledge of the route. We will be departing Long Beach on 23 May 2018 (time to be decided). So, initial things that would be really helpful to know:

1. Is it easy enough to get people to assist with signing witness forms at each end? - what is the usual routine?

2. Is there a conventional time to commence this ride to avoid traffic and other issues during the ride?

3. In Aus, once you are away from Sydney, there is only one real route to take - looking at maps, it seems that the US has many route options - we figured we would just stick to I10 - is this a viable solution?

4. For most of the route, what distance can we expect between fuel availability? - we will be riding BMW GSs - so figure on about 250 mile range - is it usually necessary to carry extra fuel on the bike with you if the ride is planned properly?

5. Is there a generally accepted mid-way rest location?

We would be really grateful for any advice.

Thanks in advance for your interest.

Rob

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
1) Rob, I went to the local police station (for me it was El Segundo as it was nearest to the airport). They were happy to sign. Hopefully Long Beach will be the same?
At the Jacksonville end I went to Neptune Beach Police station where they are used to 'Iron Ass' bikers.
2) I kept to my Aussie body clock and left the Pacific around lunch time. Its LA, traffic is bad....
3) I kept to I10. In hindsight and with 10 hours up my sleeve at the end I may have been more adventurous, but it was still a different experience to Oz, so I'm still happy I went the 'normal' way.
4) I rode an R1200RT (25L?). My first fuel stop was planned at about 250miles but it was a bit tight (ie flashing '0' for a while) but I simply reduced the legs after that. Fuel was never a problem.
The states have some weird rules:
- some states you can carry a jerry can.
- some states you can't carry a jerry can
- some states you can fill from a jerry can
- some states you can't fill from a jerry can
- some states you can carry, but not fill from a jerry can
- some states you can't carry, but can fill from a jerry can.
United States of 'Merica, eh?
I chose not to chance it. Fuel was never a problem. I'd knock the 250miles down a bit though. Averaging 5L/100 (sorry readers, metric aside here) at perhaps 80 mph (back to usual programming) in the west I don't think you'll be as efficient as in Oz.
5) I stopped in Texas each way. Just like Ceduna, but more cattle.

Here's my report from back then:
https://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?threads/aussie-rides-100ccc-in-usa.2086/

Last edited:

Amnon Romano

Premier Member
With highway speeds I wouldn't plan on more than 200 miles on the GS (unless it's an ADV). Not my personal bike but I crisscrossed entire Europe several times on these models.
Be sure to overcome jet lag beforehand.
Plan a general route, look gas stations up in Google Maps - especially for night riding.
Once on your way, you may want to have WAZE and/or Google NAV in the background to avoid traffic.
Don't underestimate right-side-driving, particularly when you THINK you got it covered (riding in AUS I had few scary moments...).

Have a safe and fun trip! (envy you already...)

sixty6north

Hi fellow asylum members. A mate and will be in the US in May/June to do some riding - our first objective is to knock of a 100CCC between Long Beach CA (where we will be picking up our bikes) and Jacksonville FL.

We have each completed a 100CCC Insanity Gold in Australia (amongst numerous other rides), so this is not our first rodeo . . . but we are at disadvantage with local knowledge of the route. We will be departing Long Beach on 23 May 2018 (time to be decided). So, initial things that would be really helpful to know:

1. Is it easy enough to get people to assist with signing witness forms at each end? - what is the usual routine?

2. Is there a conventional time to commence this ride to avoid traffic and other issues during the ride?

3. In Aus, once you are away from Sydney, there is only one real route to take - looking at maps, it seems that the US has many route options - we figured we would just stick to I10 - is this a viable solution?

4. For most of the route, what distance can we expect between fuel availability? - we will be riding BMW GSs - so figure on about 250 mile range - is it usually necessary to carry extra fuel on the bike with you if the ride is planned properly?

5. Is there a generally accepted mid-way rest location?

We would be really grateful for any advice.

Thanks in advance for your interest.

Rob
1) Rob, I went to the local police station (for me it was El Segundo as it was nearest to the airport). They were happy to sign. Hopefully Long Beach will be the same?
At the Jacksonville end I went to Neptune Beach Police station where they are used to 'Iron Ass' bikers.
2) I kept to my Aussie body clock and left the Pacific around lunch time. Its LA, traffic is bad....
3) I kept to I10. In hindsight and with 10 hours up my sleeve at the end I may have been more adventurous, but it was still a different experience to Oz, so I'm still happy I went the 'normal' way.
4) I rode an R1200RT (25L?). My first fuel stop was planned at about 250miles but it was a bit tight (ie flashing '0' for a while) but I simply reduced the legs after that. Fuel was never a problem.
The states have some weird rules:
- some states you can carry a jerry can.
- some states you can't carry a jerry can
- some states you can fill from a jerry can
- some states you can't fill from a jerry can
- some states you can carry, but not fill from a jerry can
- some states you can't carry, but can fill from a jerry can.
United States of 'Merica, eh?
I chose not to chance it. Fuel was never a problem. I'd knock the 250miles down a bit though. Averaging 5L/100 (sorry readers, metric aside here) at perhaps 80 mph (back to usual programming) in the west I don't think you'll be as efficient as in Oz.
5) I stopped in Texas each way. Just like Ceduna, but more cattle.

Here's my report from back then:
https://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?threads/aussie-rides-100ccc-in-usa.2086/
Thanks Pete - I forgot that you had done this previously - I will have a good look at your ride report - thanks for the input.

Rob

sixty6north

With highway speeds I wouldn't plan on more than 200 miles on the GS (unless it's an ADV). Not my personal bike but I crisscrossed entire Europe several times on these models.
Be sure to overcome jet lag beforehand.
Plan a general route, look gas stations up in Google Maps - especially for night riding.
Once on your way, you may want to have WAZE and/or Google NAV in the background to avoid traffic.
Don't underestimate right-side-driving, particularly when you THINK you got it covered (riding in AUS I had few scary moments...).

Have a safe and fun trip! (envy you already...)
I am used to my GSA with plenty of range - its even better when I mount my 20 litre aux. fuel tank which gives me a cruising range of around 1,000km . . . so yeah . . . I am going to have to make some adjustments in my thinking and approach.

I am going to be in the US for a couple of weeks before hand, so the body clock should be dialled in.

I haven't used WAZE, but I have seen a few recommendations for it, so I am going to check it out before I go.

As for right-side riding, we lived in the UK for some time and frequently drive in Europe - it didn't matter how often we did it, I still used to get caught out occasionally if my concentration lapsed, so I agree its something we can't take for granted.

thanks for your interest and input - really appreciate it.

Rob

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
When leaving from San Diego, junction TX is about half way.

Please note that in western Texas fuel can be rather scarce so plan accordingly

May 28 is our Memorial Day holiday which is the unofficial start to our summer. Expect a lot of traffic on Saturday May 26 as people travel for the long weekend well as the 28th when many travel home

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
The earlier you can leave Long Beach in the morning the better. It's true most traffic will be westbound, while you'll be eastbound, but traffic can still be a nightmare.

Soon after leaving the first metropolitan area (east of Riverside), you will experience several hundred km of desert. Temps of up to 45C by late afternoon. Hydration will be a key to success. The various desert regions will last thru west Texas. Nominally, temps won't be that high, but definitely expect >35C during daylight hours.

Last edited:

Rickr96

Premier Member
Hey Rob. I will be the first to volunteer. I live near Long Beach and will be happy to meet you to sign Wit statements or provide any other help I can. I have a grand total of ONE IBA certified ride to my credit so don't know how much advise I can provide, but lived in southern California all my life and know a short cut or two. And... I have my own pen and know how to spell my name so signing a witness statement is well within my abilities. Please let me know if I can help.

sixty6north

Hey Rob. I will be the first to volunteer. I live near Long Beach and will be happy to meet you to sign Wit statements or provide any other help I can. I have a grand total of ONE IBA certified ride to my credit so don't know how much advise I can provide, but lived in southern California all my life and know a short cut or two. And... I have my own pen and know how to spell my name so signing a witness statement is well within my abilities. Please let me know if I can help.
Good on you Rick - your assistance would be really valuable - particularly if you were able to point us in the right direction when we start. Thanks for the offer of signing start forms - really appreciate it - we will get in touch closer to the date and figure out some details.

Thanks again

Rob

sixty6north

When leaving from San Diego, junction TX is about half way.

Please note that in western Texas fuel can be rather scarce so plan accordingly

May 28 is our Memorial Day holiday which is the unofficial start to our summer. Expect a lot of traffic on Saturday May 26 as people travel for the long weekend well as the 28th when many travel home
We didn't even think about holiday traffic - hopefully we can get on the road before it becomes too much of an issue - thanks for the heads up.

Rob

sixty6north

The earlier you can leave Long Beach in the morning the better. It's true most traffic will be westbound, while you'll be eastbound, but traffic can still be a nightmare.

Soon after leaving the first metropolitan area (east of Riverside), you will experience several hundred km of desert. Temps of up to 45C by late afternoon. Hydration will be a key to success. The various desert regions will last thru west Texas. Nom, temps won't be that high, but definitely expect >35C during daylight hours.
Appreciate your advice about the temperatures - we have both ridden in these types of conditions in Australia, so we are familiar with the routine - but its great to get your advice in advance so that we come fully prepared for it - I know that poor hydration management in these conditions can easily spell the end of a ride, so we will make sure that we factor this into our planning.

Thanks for taking an interest and taking the time to share this information - its all important to ensure a safe and successful ride.

Thanks

Rob