A couple of questions about the Bun Burner Gold

Hello,

Forgive me if this is on the wrong area! I'll be attempting a Bun Burner Ride (going for the Gold, of course, but as we all know plans can change), and I have a couple of questions for clarification and planning purposes.

The first question is - is it necessary to have a starting and ending witness for this ride? I know when I did my SS1000 I did have witnesses for the start and end, but for this particular ride it would be very troublesome to procure good reliable witnesses for the beginning and end points. I was reading through the documentation page posted on the BBG link, and it sounded to me that if I did the BDR with the odometer photo method, I would not need to have witnesses?

The second question is - I understand the BBG requires another IBA ride as a pre-requisite (which I have completed a SS1000). When does that verification take place? Do I inform you before the BBG attempt, or does that get verified when I submit my application for the ride?

Much appreciated - hope everyone is doing well.

Kris

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hi Kris, If you choose to use the electronic submission method with photos of your odo and gas receipts, then you do not need witnesses.

edit - just woke up, missed your IBA# at the bottom of your post.

The IBA doesn't need you to verify a previous ride, it's in their system, it will be simple for them to check.

Worth mentioning is that if you choose to do the mail in submission of your ride with IBA paper forms, the odo witnesses do not have to occur at the exact start and end of your ride. You can have the neighbor or spouse certify/witness the odo the evening before your 3am start, for example. And after the end, some time later in the morning when people are available. A reasonable time and distance is acceptable. The computer receipts are your official start and end times, so make sure they have ALL of the required info on them.

The main reason the IBA wants riders to do a SS1K or other non-Gold, non-Extreme ride first is so they have a better idea of what they are up against and just just jump in on a Gold level ride w/o understanding what they are getting into.

Gerry Arel

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hello,

Forgive me if this is on the wrong area! I'll be attempting a Bun Burner Ride (going for the Gold, of course, but as we all know plans can change), and I have a couple of questions for clarification and planning purposes.

The first question is - is it necessary to have a starting and ending witness for this ride? I know when I did my SS1000 I did have witnesses for the start and end, but for this particular ride it would be very troublesome to procure good reliable witnesses for the beginning and end points. I was reading through the documentation page posted on the BBG link, and it sounded to me that if I did the BDR with the odometer photo method, I would not need to have witnesses?

The second question is - I understand the BBG requires another IBA ride as a pre-requisite (which I have completed a SS1000). When does that verification take place? Do I inform you before the BBG attempt, or does that get verified when I submit my application for the ride?

Much appreciated - hope everyone is doing well.

Kris
Good luck on your Gold attempt!

You may also consider becoming a Premier member and then you'll have advance notifications of other IBA events as well.

You may also consider becoming a Premier member and then you'll have advance notifications of other IBA events as well.
Thank you! And yes, certainly looking into it.

Since I have this thread open, I could use some clarification on another question I have. This is in regards to corner points in a route. I am currently planning my stops (they are strictly based on gasoline range), and I and trying to minimize any stops that don't get close to a fill-up. How close to the "corner" do I need to show proof? The "corner" point in question is Oklahoma City, OK. I would be coming down from I-35 and merging into I-40 West. Could I make my gas/corner stop a few miles out of OKC?

I don't leave until a couple of weeks yet, but all this planning has been consuming a big chunk of my time!

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Since the idea of 'corners' is to prove you didn't cut the corner on a shorter route, I would suggest, in that example, anyplace South of Guthrie would work. The closer to the 35/40 interchange the better, but don't over think it.

Quick update on this - I have completed the Bun Burner Gold as planned! I'll post something about it on the ride reports section. It was an incredible experience!

I do have another question. I submitted the application electronically, and on the form there's a section about payment which I wasn't sure about how to proceed. I replied to that specific question that I would like the "full mounty" package which includes all the swag as well as the application fee. Since I submitted it electronically, do I need to pay right now? If so, what paypal address do I send it to? This is new to me since when I applied to the SS1K I just mailed the check with the paperwork. I just need some clarification in regards to paying for it with electronic submission.

Thank you in advance!

Kris

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Congrats on the ride!

With the electronic submission, it is preferred that you wait until they invoice you, which tells you the ride was approved. If you pay ahead of time, and for some reason the ride is not approved, it's more of a hassle for the IBA to refund you.

You could opt to pay ahead of time in the IBA store, but don't bother. It won't speed anything up and isn't necessary.

Congrats on the ride!

With the electronic submission, it is preferred that you wait until they invoice you, which tells you the ride was approved. If you pay ahead of time, and for some reason the ride is not approved, it's more of a hassle for the IBA to refund you.

You could opt to pay ahead of time in the IBA store, but don't bother. It won't speed anything up and isn't necessary.
Perfect. Thanks Eric!

Looking into this, and would like to do it:

1) Do I get this through the IBA store?
2) The per year time period - is it based on your purchase date or calendar year?

Thanks in advance!