A roundtoit...

Grey Gentry

Premier Member
It seems you can swap bikes on an IBA ride?

A couple of quotes from the story.

I doubt this first one.

"During the night, I developed a theory about this. Riding at night, on two-lane highways, requires such a level of mental focus that we never had time to get tired."

Having a meal, and then becoming fatigued? Hmmm.

"Having ridden through the night with no more rest than what a gas station provides, it wasn’t until 5 a.m. that I felt the weight of what we were trying to accomplish. A meal at Denny’s and a chance to relax helped, but the next two hours were the hardest of them all. "

John negus

Hi All, If this guy thinks his ss1600 (1000 miles) is hard god help him if he every comes across our heavy hitters from the 100CCC ride and Ox and the boys. He should make our Dave (of 50CC on a Harley fame) his pinup boy. I think he may be more of an expert in "self trumpet blowing" or is it "trumpet self blowing" ..har har..cheers and yippee..see you in April..jn

Wombattle

I remember my first SS1600k, two up on a Harley. It was tough on many levels despite being mostly on the doom. You don't really know what to expect. You experience new levels of discomfort. The k's seem to go on forever because you aren't used to sitting back and letting them pass by. You doubt yourself because 600kms seems such a long way to go after the first 1000.

They usually get easier as you learn and practice the craft. Then you ride longer, ride more corners, ride little bikes, ride dirt sections or whatever else you can think up to up the ante. I've done a few now and while it becomes easier that "practice" hasn't made the first one any easier or changed the way I felt about it. Maybe that's just me.

Good on these guys for cracking one out. And good on them for expressing how they felt when they went through it. We can all learn something from everything that's shared by fellow IBA riders. Thanks for putting the link up Kwaka!

tj189

Premier Member
My apologies for repeating Wombattle's last paragraph but sometimes things just need to be...
Good on these guys for cracking one out. And good on them for expressing how they felt when they went through it. We can all learn something from everything that's shared by fellow IBA riders. Thanks for putting the link up Kwaka!

Fatman

My apologies for repeating Wombattle's last paragraph but sometimes things just need to be...

Totally agree with TJ's post.

Good on these guys riding their first SS1000m, we have all been there and learnt from our first IBA rides.

Thanks Kwaka for the link.

TripleTreat

My first IBA ride, an SS1600, coincided with a FarRide to Mitchell QLD and while I nailed it, it was a true test of character. By this I mean there were a whole lot of 'firsts' that had to be dealt with.
Firstly, a midnight start, just because so many other LD riders did it so I thought I should try it. It won't surprise anyone to hear that starting a ride just after you would normally be retiring for the night is a bad idea and led to my being awake for 12 hours before getting on the bike!
Secondly, standard lights on a bike suck and mean using a lot of mental energy at night that could otherwise be saved. Especially when it's foggy!
Thirdly, that nagging "gotta keep going" feeling leads to stupid, fatigue induced actions/decisions on the back end of the ride because I didn't take the time to forward plan the next leg of the ride properly before getting on the bike, leading to roadside stops to eat, drink, adjust layers, etc.
Fourthly, all of the above meant that I found myself on the side of the road doing star jumps to wake myself up - I swore to myself that this would never happen again.
There is more but you get the drift...

kwaka

Premier Member
My pleasure to help.
Great to see that article elicted a response or two and envoked some debate.

The first IBA ride we do is probably something we will not easily forget.

I remember very well my first documented and certified IBA effort of a SS2000K with a BB2500K tacked on back in Oct, 2008. That BB2500K should've been a SS3000K as I'd done well over the required kms in the allotted time but I was such a pup and rank amatuer back then. :rolleyes:

The riding wasn't hard due mainly to good weather conditions however I did learn a lot about fuel and fatigue management, mind games and the importance of having some sort of ride plan. A failed BBG2500K on the return and not getting a witness for a SS1600K on that return still erks me to this day, especially as Davo was my Start witness. Yep, I was but a pup....

One saving grace, I was finally spurred into sending in the paperwork after FarNat '09. Took awhile compared to nowadays before getting my IBA number and then the elation at receiving those first certs. I still relish that moment to this today.

@GG. Re: swapping bikes. At a guess I'd say they had prior approval.
What a way to knock out your first IBA ride though! Test riding someone else's bike. :cool:

Last edited: