A SS1600 as IBR23 Prep

Martin Little

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
With some 7 weeks to go until the Iron Butt Rally, our prep has been stuck in the slow lane over the last couple of months with work and life taking priority. Saturday 15 April was clear in the diary, and so it was for Olaf, so we made plans to do a IBR style ride up the NSW east coast, with a few bonus photo opportunities scattered along the way.

This is the ride plan on the GPS, ready to leave Canberra

Blue the GSA ready to roll

Riding out of Canberra, we encountered heavy fog, which lingered all the way to Pheasants Nest. I was on point and not feeling that comfortable with the conditions. At some places I could barely see 10 metres in front of the bike, which is not good on the Hume Highway. We finally rode out of the fog to watch a glorious sunrise over the Sydney Basin, before stopping for the first refuel at the BP Truckstop at Eastern Creek.

The first routing failure occurred on leaving the Truckstop, I made several wrong assumptions about the way back to the M7, followed by then taking the wrong turn onto the M4 out to Penrith. Sheesh! 15kms later after sorting that stuff up out we were back on the M7 heading for Newcastle. We both found this highly amusing, two IBR vets unable to find our way 100m back to the M7. Our first bonus photo was at Somersby, and we had a lot of fun fooling around!

Bonus Photo # 1, the serious photo

And the not so serious photo!

Rolled through Newcastle, and then took the Bucketts Way up to Gloucester, our next fuel stop. The temperature was now in the high teens, so layers of clothing and he heated jacket all came off. From Gloucester we took the back road to Taree, what a joy that was, riding through the rolling hillside in the warm sunshine. Back at the freeway, it was turn north, put on the cruise control and tunes and just watch the miles roll by until our next bonus photo opportunity in Urunga. The Big Beehive!

Bonus Photo # 2, and still more fooling around

After collecting the Big Beehive, we stock of our route, and due to the earlier routing failure out towards Penrith we were at our halfway mark for the ride, so we took 30 minutes to have a lite lunch in Urunga, before turning southward for our next bonus photo, the Big Koala at Bulahdelah. This bonus proved somewhat troublesome to take a photo, due to the setting sun, not working well with the camera, but finally managed to solve it.

Bonus Photo # 3, not good enough!

This is better? Flag is partially obscured, Fail!

On route back to Canberra, via Hexham, where we refuelled, bikes and riders, and then into the descending darkness as we rode into Sydney. North Connex provided that magical transition from Wahroonga into Western Sydney, and before long we were back on the Hume Highway rolling past Pheasants Nest in the pitch darkness. Last fuel stop was at Sallys Corner, and then onto Goulburn for the last bonus photo, the Big Merino. This prove difficult also as neither of us had brought a torch. Doh! Fail for two IBR vets! We managed to get the right photo and then continued in the cool darkness to Canberra.

Bonus Photo # 4, and look no torch or supplementary lighting!

Job done with just about 1,629kms on the Odo for me and feeling like I'm slowly starting to get into Rally mode. Olaf and I had a great time riding and enjoying a few laughs (at our selves) along the way. There is still a long to do list of things to do, and I can see the remaining weeks flying by.

Job done, time for some chocolate to celebrate!

Olaf Moon

"And I think to myself...."
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
It makes me laugh at the amount of stuff that brings Ibr riders undone and yet we persevere..
Well done guys...
Indeed Drain.
I write a careful list of stuff to take each time, but an SS1600 is quite different from a day ride, and so the torch (flashlight to the yankees) is not on that list! It will be from now on. The other item I missed was the QUAD lock plate backer for my phone, as I dont use it all the time. That is now on my list for the next SS1600 ride, real soon!

Olaf Moon

"And I think to myself...."
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
My other learning from this one (a real ah haa moment) is that the IBA has gone to an automated system for registering rides now. This requires an active SpotWalla route (not just a SPOT one) and also a new app that I had never heard of, called SWTracker, so that will get a test-out on the next SS1600, real soon too!

It seems the electronic systems are slowly overtaking the old paper system.
It's interesting to note that during the '21 IBR both Dan Simmonds and Mike Brooke used their phones as their rally camera which is also a first.

Last edited:

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thanks for the share. :) Tongue in cheek observations:

Not enough duct tape
You kept getting off the bikes for bonus photos! :eek:
Real men keep their panniers on ;)

Best wishes for the IBR. I'll be busy on another ride and won't be able to make a checkpoint or the finish this time, but I hope everyone has a good ride.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
This requires an active SpotWalla route (not just a SPOT one) and also a new app that I had never heard of, called SWTracker, so that will get a test-out on the next SS1600, real soon too!
SWTracker is to Apple devices what Bubbler is to Android. Different authors, different devices, but (for our purposes) essentially the same function. That is to feed periodic position data to SpotWalla.

One is not required to use either Bubbler or SWTracker on the "SpotWalla Required" rides if you are already using a SpotWalla connected SPOT (or InReach, etc) device. Using the app along with another dedicated device can result in a track with higher fidelity, but only a singular source is necessary.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
is that easy to do? Are there instructions somewhere on how to?
Quite easy. As mentioned, do it on-the-fly by using either Bubbler or SWTracker. Failing that, you can go in later and attach a picture to any data message in your SpotWalla account.

- Open your trip in View
- Click on the data point you want to be associated with a picture
- On the resulting popup, click on "Add/Update Picture"

By doing this I was able to add all of our bonus pictures to our LDX rally track last year. Something I would not waste time trying to do during the rally.

https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/67cf-2f1bdd8-3b7f/view

I used the "Custom" message button on our SPOT to mark each location along the way during the rally. That made it ever-so-much easier to locate them again later when I was uploading the pictures.

Attachments

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
So I googled up SWTracker for Android and it came up with a few options.

One is TrackSW Tracker for Android.
It claims to be used " both for GPS tracking and as a message notification Service"
"allows you to turn your Android phone into a GPS tracker similar to a classic GPS tracking device."

Im a mug at this smoke and mirrors stuff. Ill read more on this but I'm sure someone among the learned will spot tif this is not suitable or is infact an Android alternative of SWTracker.

Interestingly it seems to pop up when doing Spotwalla searches too.

tj189

Premier Member
So I googled up SWTracker for Android and it came up with a few options.

One is TrackSW Tracker for Android.
It claims to be used " both for GPS tracking and as a message notification Service"
"allows you to turn your Android phone into a GPS tracker similar to a classic GPS tracking device."

Im a mug at this smoke and mirrors stuff. Ill read more on this but I'm sure someone among the learned will spot tif this is not suitable or is infact an Android alternative of SWTracker.

Interestingly it seems to pop up when doing Spotwalla searches too.
May I suggest looking at Bubbler for android phones