A Whale of a Time (SS1600)

Martin Little

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Time to get another Saddle Sore under the belt, the year is ticking away and I haven’t done enough riding! Saddled up and rode out of the garage to collect my starting docket from the local ATM.

Dark O'Clock and time to ride

That done, pointed the K1600GT around Lake Burley Griffen heading for the Barto Highway and the Hume. Once on the Hume, I settled in for the run towards Wagga. Another beautiful night, the stars were out with the temperature in the mid-high teens. Perfect night time riding. First fuel stop completed at Wagga, and I hoped for a coffee from Maccas, but it was not to be. 4:40am was way to early.

Sorry sir, we are not open, please come back later

Took the Olympic Highway to Albury where I took 15 minutes for a some brekkie, before jumping back onto the Hume for the run down to Melbourne. Rolling through Melbourne once was uneventful and before too long I was out on the Gippsland Highway heading for San Remo.

San Remo on a dull overcast morning

By now it was dull, overcast and cool. So much for the forecast low 30’s temperature! At San Remo, collected my corner docket, took the obligatory bridge photo and pointed the bike along the coastal heading north to Bega, via Fish Creek, Bruthen and Eden.

Fish Creek, Victoria

Derek called to say he was in the vicinity, but a few hours ahead of me, and not much latter, Hackle called to chat. I hadn’t set up the Quadlock mount on the K1600, mental reminder to myself to complete this.

Yarram Victoria

Yarram Victoria

The miles rolled by, with the run through the forests between Orbost and Eden been spectacular! Hardly any traffic, cool temperature and just gorgeous scenery on the Princes Highway.

Cann River, Victoria. Stopped to connect charging cable for my headset

Bega Valley, NSW. having a whale of a time!

Topped the tanks at Bega, to collect my corner docket and headed up Brown Mountain for the final leg into Canberra.

The big and the small of it

The ride across the high country in the setting sun was sublime, another one of those wishing the ‘ride would never end” moments.

One of those moments, wishing the ride would never end. A hot summers evening in the NSW High Country

Leaving Cooma, all I could see ahead of me over Canberra was lightning in the gathering darkness. Luckily I managed to avoid most of the rain and rolled into the garage ahead of of the storm. Timing!

1,666kms for the day

A great day out, with 1,666kms on the clock, I felt pretty good overall.

My GPS Tracker

MIXR

You looked pretty fresh and alert next day at the Sutton Bakery so the practice must be doing you some good. Well done on a spur of the moment ride. It's a nice loop, although the roos are a worry between Cooma and Canberra. You would think they should all be road kill with the traffic, but not the case.