Accidental iron butt

In spite of living 1500km apart my riding buddy and I try to meet up whenever we can, ride around together for a week or so then return home. We finally got away mid November when his state (South Australia) and mine (New South wales) were easing travel restrictions associated with covid. Sitting down to lunch on our first days ride together we listened to the radio news to find out there had been a covid cluster in SA and the border would be closed for six days or possibly longer at midnight. Wayne had 10 hours to ride 1100km to get home before midnight. We loaded him up with packets of biscuits and bottled water, said a quick goodbye and he headed in the opposite direction to me. He got home with an hour to spare. I nominate Wayne for an accidental iron butt award.

Ian

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Well, if Wayne is not yet an IBA member, we have a ride called the Butt Builder 500/Butt Builder 800k for which he would qualify:

The Butt Builder 500/Butt Builder 800k, requiring a rider to complete at least 500 miles/805km in 12 hours or less, is offered as an introductory ride for those interested in long-distance riding. Successful riders receive a certificate and pin. It does NOT confer Iron Butt Association membership - the shortest ride qualifying for membership is the Saddlesore 1000/Saddlesore 1600k (at least 1,000 miles/1,610km in 24 hours or less). The Butt Builder documentation requirements only consist of a written statement from someone who knows you completed the ride (although if you have better documentation, we will certainly accept it), which is much less than that required for the Saddlesore 1000. The certificate fee for the Butt Builder 500/Butt Builder 800k is US$25.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

JAORE

Premier Member
Intersting about the Butt Builder 500. News to me. Is there an IBA link that goes into detail? I've got a riding buddy on the fence about trying a SS 1000. The BB 500 might be an incentive and help him realize he can go for the real deal.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
That is the complete detail. One would use the same submission email address as the standard Saddlesore 1000.

Let me know if there are any specific questions.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

The Butt Builder 500/Butt Builder 800k, requiring a rider to complete at least 500 miles/805km in 12 hours or less, is offered as an introductory ride for those interested in long-distance riding. Successful riders receive a certificate and pin.

Dear Ira,

Have IBA published photos of the certificate and the Pin ?

Is there a patch available too ?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
No photos. And no patch. The certificate is similar to a standard IBA certificate.

Because this ride does not confer IBA membership, only those who are not sure if they can complete a Saddlesore 1000 and decide not to try it complete this ride. Most folks decide to see if they can complete the SS1K without completing this one first. So no patch.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association