ACT Insanity - Question

spanner

Has anyone on here completed the ACT Insanity?

I'll be down that way in the not too distant future and I would love to give this a crack.

I just need to know what route to use as the Aussie specific rides don't actually designate one. Do we do our own routing and is it a 1600 km one? how do we verify the 21 laps? do we need a third party observer in each of the 'corners in the route?

would love to know.\

Cheers,

Spanner

tj189

Premier Member
Has anyone on here completed the ACT Insanity?

I'll be down that way in the not too distant future and I would love to give this a crack.

I just need to know what route to use as the Aussie specific rides don't actually designate one. Do we do our own routing and is it a 1600 km one? how do we verify the 21 laps? do we need a third party observer in each of the 'corners in the route?
would love to know.\

Cheers,
Spanner
Yes it has
ACT Insanity - 21 laps of the Australian Capital Territory in 24 hours!
Margaret Peart Tasmania, Australia 11/11/11 BMW R1200GS 1,688 Australian Capital Territory 1000
Derrick Sutton Australia 11/11/11 Kawasaki ZZR600 1,688 Australian Capital Territory 1000
Michiel Kerkhof Kapellen, Belgium 11/11/11 Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 1,688 Australian Capital Territory 1000

Grey Gentry did one but not submitted.
From memory, one of the corners that was used for receipts has now gone.

We will get back to you shortly with the requirements.

beemerbird

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Yes it has
ACT Insanity - 21 laps of the Australian Capital Territory in 24 hours!
Margaret Peart Tasmania, Australia 11/11/11 BMW R1200GS 1,688 Australian Capital Territory 1000
Derrick Sutton Australia 11/11/11 Kawasaki ZZR600 1,688 Australian Capital Territory 1000
Michiel Kerkhof Kapellen, Belgium 11/11/11 Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 1,688 Australian Capital Territory 1000

Grey Gentry did one but not submitted.
From memory, one of the corners that was used for receipts has now gone.

We will get back to you shortly with the requirements.
Yes, OK, TJ - I'm so sorry I haven't done the Ride Requirements yet!

Here is a pic of the map/route we used. Each lap was about 80.4km from memory. We used ONE fuel stop, in Hume. Friends parked there for the whole of the ride and, with Mike Kneebone's prior permission, we used only them as "lap scorers/checkers", a la the Isle of Man TT1000 ride a few months beforehand. For each lap, our odo reading, time of day and lap number were recorded for each rider on a master sheet.

The eventual Ride Requirements doco will include a copy of the Basecamp file and the Lap Scoring Master sheet (if required or thought necessary).

upload_2016-5-5_20-35-30.png

Last edited:

Ed.

Premier Member
Hi Margaret, Do you see a need to follow the same route as you guys did or do you reckon it is ok to expand it (still within the ACT of course) as Ron did for a number of his laps (minus the southern bit since the Williamsdale servo is now closed down)?

beemerbird

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hi Margaret, Do you see a need to follow the same route as you guys did or do you reckon it is ok to expand it (still within the ACT of course) as Ron did for a number of his laps (minus the southern bit since the Williamsdale servo is now closed down)?
Ed, I planned a route that was relatively easy and (hopefully) achievable within the 24 hours allowed. Although we initially were a bit concerned that we wouldn't make it in 24 hours, we succeeded easily in that time. As you may or may not know, roos are a MAJOR part of the problem of any night ride in the ACT.

If you wish to plan another route, that is entirely up to you. Good luck!

I have no idea where Williamsdale is.

Ed.

Premier Member
Hahaha, ...Yes I know about the ACT roos all too well! They were the main reason that when helping Ron plan a route we decided on a daylight loop and a nighttime one. The advantage of the daylight one out around the Cotter is that the speed limits are up a bit and it is a bit more open than the "in town" loop.

If you look at the spotwalla link Grey Gentry/Ron posted Williamsdale is the Southeastern most turn he used.

tj189

Premier Member
Yes, OK, TJ - I'm so sorry I haven't done the Ride Requirements yet!

Here is a pic of the map/route we used. Each lap was about 80.4km from memory. We used ONE fuel stop, in Hume. Friends parked there for the whole of the ride and, with Mike Kneebone's prior permission, we used only them as "lap scorers/checkers", a la the Isle of Man TT1000 ride a few months beforehand. For each lap, our odo reading, time of day and lap number were recorded for each rider on a master sheet.

The eventual Ride Requirements doco will include a copy of the Basecamp file and the Lap Scoring Master sheet (if required or thought necessary).
G'day Margaret, thanks for posting this up, great information for other riders to start looking at a ride plan.

Grey Gentry

Premier Member
Thanks Margaret, a good insight to your ride.
Marking a corner/location can now be done with a GPS enabled pic on a mobile phone, as it has a time imbedded into the metadata. There a location at or near the old Williamsdale servo could still be used. I found the run south is good to get the averages up, but at night, there were 'roos there too. And it was fun out around the Cotter, except in the rain. I remember saying to myself on an anti clockwise loop, if it's still raining at Tharwa, I'm pulling the pin. It was blue sky 15km later.

To explain the Spot track a little. The route was eight outside loops, every second one in the reverse direction, and 6 inside (night time) loops, in an anti clockwise direction.
The reverse direction was for 2 reasons, one to avoid the traffic, the second so I didn't get to familiar (and overconfident) with the twisties.