"ACT Insanity" Ride Planned (June)

tj189

Premier Member
The route is all good and agreed guys. Here is my reply to be clear-
Michael
Good question. Yes, I submitted the route with the Tharwa Drive section included (but not south to Williamsdale) and via the new Majura Parkway, and this was the approved one. (Note it would be possible to ride the old Majura Lane but it would be very slow). Their measurement using Google Maps was the same as yours and mine; 83.1km that makes 20 laps. They are happy with that - they note it is "my route" and I accept that. I rode it and my Harley odo said 84.6km, so either way, 20 laps is fine. All they ask is that each rider can prove that they rode the distance > than 1610 and that every lap is signed for. I will ride clockwise unless there becomes a very real reason to reverse a lap or two. There will indeed be some busy times on Saturday morning.
This is Ollies submitted lap route
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/96+...3924297!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m0!3e0?hl=en

Fatman

Michael
Good question. Yes, I submitted the route with the Tharwa Drive section included (but not south to Williamsdale) and via the new Majura Parkway, and this was the approved one. (Note it would be possible to ride the old Majura Lane but it would be very slow). Their measurement using Google Maps was the same as yours and mine; 83.1km that makes 20 laps. They are happy with that - they note it is "my route" and I accept that. I rode it and my Harley odo said 84.6km, so either way, 20 laps is fine. All they ask is that each rider can prove that they rode the distance > than 1610 and that every lap is signed for. I will ride clockwise unless there becomes a very real reason to reverse a lap or two. There will indeed be some busy times on Saturday morning.

Thanks for the clarification of the IBA approved route Olly, much appreciated.

Grey Gentry

Premier Member
That clears up why I couldn't get over 80km for a lap. The Base Camp map supplied cuts across before Tharwa Drive.
I'm still tempted to add the Williamsdale out and back in. It adds about 40km of 100km/h per lap. And some 'roos, but you will find them on the current route too.

Rusjel

Premier Member
Well we are picking some other corner points that can't be verified either so that isn't it. I suspect it's because the other points are still part of a loop whereas Williamsdale is a straight there and back run. I'm sure Olaf will enlighten us when he gets a chance.

Fatman

I may be wrong Russell, but I was under the impression that the IBA has checked the route of the ride that Olly submitted and that had to followed to be certified. ie 83.1km route x 20 laps

Below was Olly's confirmation of the actual route to be ridden.

Michael

Rusjel

Premier Member
Yep, that I grok Mick, what I don't understand is why the Williamsdale section wasn't included.

Didn't think of it?

IBA knocked it back?

I'm very grateful to everyone who worked on this and will ride the approved route accordingly, but I'm a curious chap by nature and practice.

tj189

Premier Member
Yep, that I grok Mick, what I don't understand is why the Williamsdale section wasn't included.

Didn't think of it?

IBA knocked it back?

I'm very grateful to everyone who worked on this and will ride the approved route accordingly, but I'm a curious chap by nature and practice.
It was not include because it was not requested. Ollie has stayed within the guidelines for the this ride. cheers ;)

Wombattle

That clears up why I couldn't get over 80km for a lap. The Base Camp map supplied cuts across before Tharwa Drive.
The file supplied was a GPX file. Any discrepancy in distance/route is perhaps related to whatever it's being imported into and the maps it has available decides to route between the points. For me it comes up as 84.2km per lap, is spot on Ollies route on both my V5 Aust NZ Topo Maps and the Latest City Navigator maps on both GPS's and in Basecamp (Mac).

And not related to the quote above or anything particular above....

Now I may have this IBA caper wrong, but banging out 1610-1700kms going round and round the same route in one direction in the freezing cold is definitely a challenge worth stepping up to. I can't wait! But, I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would bother changing direction because of traffic or look for ways to do less k's but still be over 1610, or frankly even consider looking for another route. What would be the point? Making it easier? Saving 20 minutes in a ride that running the numbers suggests isn't really time constrained? Riding away from the sun? Riding the same direction water spins down the dunny?...pfft... what does htfu mean anyway?

I'm very grateful that Ollie organised this ride. I'm grateful for the effort he put into creating the route, getting it IBA approved, organising lap support, sharing information etc. Most of all I'm grateful he was kind enough to open his ride up to the rest of us, he definitely didn't have to do that. He's planned his ride and I'll happily ride his plan until I finish or freeze. If I didn't want to ride his plan or thought I had a better one I'd pick another weekend to go the the ACT and ride my own.

Is lane filtering legal in the ACT?

Rusjel

Premier Member
Lane filtering is legal in the ACT.

I've just got back from a test loop. It's not bad. There's enough roundabouts and corners to keep things interesting and the 60-70 sections are relatively short. Looking forward to it.

Edit #Failing to show gratitude to the organiser of the ride would be churlish.

Interpreting honest questions as criticism is over sensitivity.

Last edited: