Advice for my first IBA cert - SS1000

I'm planning on finally doing my first formal SS run. Next week, I plan on riding down from Seattle WA to Los Angeles CA. I've done segmented road trips through the many scenic rides all along the coast multiple times over a number of trips but this time, I want to do a straight shot.

The ride is basically going to be straight down on the I-5; it has a number of fuel stops right along the freeway so I shouldn't need any detours that I need to plan ahead for. I would appreciate critiquing my plan below based on the research I've done so far and any other thoughts/tips.

Ride distance from Google Maps: 1124mi (https://goo.gl/maps/5vffKjcjUmkguyUz9)
Planned road time: 19hrs (with fuel stops & nap stop buffer as needed)

- I want to leave at 3am so that I don't reach LA at a weird hour (since I'm staying with cousins and don't want to reach too late in the night)
- I will fuel up the night before as part of prepping the bike but I will not submit that receipt so that I don't start the 24h clock

To start the ride clock:
- I do not know how to get a witness at 3am to start my ride - I can either get the witness to sign the night before or I can get a receipt from an ATM nearby
- If I do the online submission method, I read that I don't need a start or end witness. In that case, can the ATM receipt with an odo picture prove my start time?
- I will log my trip through SPOTConnect on iOS and a back-up GPS tracker app on the phone (I have 3 battery packs to charge it just in case). I just created a spotwalla account and linked my phone as the default device

Fuel & rest stops:
- Every fuel stop, I plan to take a picture with odo and also write down in the log sheet
- Planning to carry a ZipLoc bag to store the receipts
- I do plan to make a few rest/nap stops. Should I log the start and end of each rest stop on the log sheet?

To end the ride clock:
- I can have my cousin be the end witness. Again, not sure if I need this with an online submission
- If I don't need a witness, I can fuel up the bike just before my cousin's house to end the ride with a receipt + odo picture
- I will log the end in the log sheet

E-submission: [http://www.ironbutt.com/rideapp/index.html]
- Google Maps PDF "print"
- spotwalla track link
- Log sheet scanned/recreated in a PDF [http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/ssseries/application1000v5.pdf]
- Zip file with all the receipt + odo images in the same order as the log sheet

I'm not sure if I'm duplicating a lot of the documentation work. But, I would probably kill myself if the ride is invalidated because of a technicality or my error in documenting it!!

Counting on music through the Cardo headset to keep me entertained. Of course, a lot of the above is theoretical & planned... it will surely be a completely different animal in the real world :) I'd be happy if I hang on to at least 3 fuel receipts or not accidentally delete an image!

Last edited:

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Just a few comments:

If you choose to obtain start and end witnesses, you can obtain your start witness signature the evening before an 0300 start. Similarly, if you end the ride in the middle of the night, you can wait until later in the morning to obtain your end witness signature.

Also understand that it is your first receipt that starts the clock and your end receipt that stops the clock, NOT the start and end witnesses. Although we prefer gas receipts, any computer-generated receipt with location, date, and time will work.

You only need to log stops longer than about 20 minutes. So if your rest stops are shorter than that, you need not log them.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Just a few comments:

If you choose to obtain start and end witnesses, you can obtain your start witness signature the evening before an 0300 start. Similarly, if you end the ride in the middle of the night, you can wait until later in the morning to obtain your end witness signature.

Also understand that it is your first receipt that starts the clock and your end receipt that stops the clock, NOT the start and end witnesses. Although we prefer gas receipts, any computer-generated receipt with location, date, and time will work.

You only need to log stops longer than about 20 minutes. So if your rest stops are shorter than that, you need not log them.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association
Awesome, thank you for that confirmation on start/end and logging stops! I wasn't aware that the start/end witness was optional, good to know.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
If you are submitting your ride the paper way, start and end witnesses are NOT optional. What Ira is saying is absolutely true. Your witnesses verify your odo as a reference point to your over all ride. What is important is that the receipts you use are your official start and end TIMES for your ride that define your 24 hour period allowable for the ride. You want to fill up the night before, and that's fine, but it serves little purpose as you still need a start receipt, and it's just as easy, if not easier, to get a gas start receipt as any other dated business receipt.

Have the spouse or neighbor or your friend witness your odo the evening before your ride. Ideally, don't ride the bike anywhere after that until you head to the gas station to start your ride with a receipt. A reasonable distance is fine.

At the end, get your end receipt at a point over 1000 miles, and include some buffer like 3-5% or 30-50 miles, just in case. With your strait shot down I-5 there is little opportunity for short cuts, so it's not as big a deal, but don't cut it too close and risk being under. Remember, your odometer is not accurate, the ride length will be determined by mapping software.

So unless you just want your certificate to say you rode from Seattle to LA, get a receipt somewhere after ~1040 miles and the official ride is done. If the clock is still wide open and you're not concerned about LA traffic, push on to an end point closer to the end of your ride and get your receipt there. You can't have LA on your cert unless you end in LA, so sure, that's a factor if you want it to say Seattle, WA to LA, CA. That's about your preference, not what's certifiable. ;)

Now, if you do the electronic method, witnesses are currently optional. However, practice taking pics of your receipts with your odo and make sure you can do this so they are both readable in the photos. Remember that wind will be a factor. You'll want to secure the receipt somehow for picture taking. And not all receipts are legible from the pump, in terms of photos, so be prepared to get a back up receipt from inside or a different pump. You need to photograph ALL of your receipts, not just the start and end receipts.

It's helpful if you number your receipts during the ride. 1 thru what ever gets you to the end. It makes it easier to follow your ride and quicker to sort for the verification teams. Ditto with putting your odo reading on the gas receipt. Do these when you get the receipt, not after the ride. Trust me on that.

Yes, the ATM receipt works. So does one for a candy bar. As long as the time, date, city/state location are present. Gas receipts with gallons purchased are helpful as well in showing you rode the ride you are submitting.

Remember that you don't have to fill out the official log sheet itself during the ride. Many people make a simple mini log from a 3x5 note pad, just putting columns in for date, time, city, state, miles, gallons and fill that out during the ride. Then when they get home they fill out the log sheet in clear handwriting from the mini log info. Remember to fill out what ever log you do from the info on the RECEIPT. Not from the pump. This way you will know the receipt is good every time.

A bad receipt in the middle of your ride isn't the end of the world, but do try to get a good one to back up the bad receipt.

Spotwalla is greatly preferred over other tracking apps. You can create a trip that spans your cert ride and submit a link to that trip to the IBA. You've got that figured out already. :cool:

Remember, the end RECEIPT is the official end time of your cert ride. The witness just adds secondary verification of your odo and doesn't need to be done at the exact end of your ride. It can be done a reasonable time and distance later.

I would suggest you pick one method up front, paper or electronic, do a mini log regardless as a back up source of info and enjoy the ride. The more steps you have to keep track of during the ride, the more chance you'll miss something.

If you decide to do the electronic method, PRACTICE TAKING PHOTOS OF YOUR RECEIPTS AND ODO! Have an easy way to secure your receipts for pictures. Consider what happens if things are wet. Review your practice receipt pics on a computer to verify that time, date, location and odo are all legible. Harder on some bikes than others. Not all electronic odos are especially photo friendly.

Good luck and have a great ride. I've done that stretch of road many, many times from living in Portland and working in SoCal for a few years. It's a little lonely over the CA passes and down thru Dunsmuir. Keep your eyes peeled for deer in the morning darkness.

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Unless you're starting somewhere far from open fuel I fail to see much difference between pumping a couple gallons of gas or even 50 cents worth as a start receipt. Now if there was some reason you couldn't get fuel at your intended start time it makes sense.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
If you decide to do the electronic method, PRACTICE TAKING PHOTOS OF YOUR RECEIPTS AND ODO! Have an easy way to secure your receipts for pictures. Consider what happens if things are wet. Review your practice receipt pics on a computer to verify that time, date, location and odo are all legible. Harder on some bikes than others. Not all electronic odos are especially photo friendly.
A) You can still take photos of every receipt/odo even if you plan on submitting everything by the old way (paper) as a backup in the event a receipt is lost/damaged and rendered unreadable.

B) An idea on what Eric describes above: https://kwthom.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

Good luck, @boilerdam

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Nice Share @kwthom . I couldn't recall where I had seen that before. You can get mini clip boards down to about 4x6" for restaurant receipt use. If I was serious about setting myself up for electronic submission, I'd be tempted to get THESE 6x9" ones and cut one down to about the width of the clip. Then find some clear plastic like shown in kwthom's link and heat/bend so a lip fits the underside of the clipboard's clip, then pop rivet it to the clip so the 'top cover' is completely retained and can't fall out or slip around. The cord retention is a great idea as well. Just have to find a spot to tuck it when not in use. For me, with my SW Motech tank bag and separate map case, I could tuck it between the two during riding and it would be quick to pull out at gas stops.

The only reason for the 6x9" size is the style of the clip lends itself to retaining the clear top cover sheet. I'd rather buy 3x5", but was unable to find that size in my brief search. I probably won't bother with all this, just sharing the idea. I'm happy with old school paper submission and witnesses. I like just writing the receipt number and odo on the receipt, filling out a quick mini log and I'm back on the road. The rest of the paperwork done at home in a clean environment prior to mailing it all off.

CB650F

Premier Member
Lots of good advice above. One thing I'd like to add is to put a wet microfiber cloth in a ziplock bag in your tank bag or another easily accessible place. I have an uncanny ability to smack big bugs with the center of my helmet's faceshield as I'm leaving fuel stations. A non-scratching wet rag lets me pull over and clean the faceshield quickly when the need arises. A butterfly or bumble bee can leave you with a nasty view for many miles.

JAORE

Premier Member
Lots of good advice above. One thing I'd like to add is to put a wet microfiber cloth in a ziplock bag in your tank bag or another easily accessible place. I have an uncanny ability to smack big bugs with the center of my helmet's faceshield as I'm leaving fuel stations. A non-scratching wet rag lets me pull over and clean the faceshield quickly when the need arises. A butterfly or bumble bee can leave you with a nasty view for many miles.
THANK! I live in Alabama, state motto: "Our Bugs Are the Juiciest Ever". I'm adopting this idea for my next ride.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I prefer a small dollar store spray bottle filled with windshield washer fluid and a dry cloth. The micro fiber clothes are great, as are surgery towels. The bottle I linked to, (and I use), started out filled with eye glass cleaner for $1 at Dollar Tree. After that was used, I just filled it with some Rain-X bug remover windshield washer fluid that I had for use in the car. Sprays a fine mist and works well with a light application to remove bugs on the helmet visor or bike's windscreen.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
...or...

One can hope for enough rain during a ride to wash the big & crusty chunks off - as you're moving... ;)

Time savings, and all of that. :cool: