Affidavit required? FormLetter?

I'm planning my second IBA ride, attempting the BBG on June 1, 2021. I remember from my SS1K that a departure and arrival affidavit are needed. Is there a Form letter for this or do we just make up our own?

That is if these affidavits are still needed or just gas receipts (inc the dep and arv fillups)?

Thanks,
Jersey

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I think what you are thinking of is the eye witness forms. You can still use these if you want, they are the Alternative Witness Method

The current preferred electronic submission method is outlined on this page - Documentation Guidelines

Please take the time to read thru the BBG1500 page and re-read the SS1K rules to ensure a smooth submission too. LINK

If you opt to do the electronic submission method, it's a really good idea to take some test photos with your bike to make sure you have a way to get a clear odo/receipt combo shot in varied light conditions and in the dark. Some digital odometers can be a real challenge in sunlight. Not to mention having a way to hold your receipt in place so the wind doesn't blow it away when you take your pictures.

If you use the alternative witness method, remember that you don't need the start eye witness to witness your odo at the exact moment of your start. If you're starting at 0200, it's fine to get someone to verify your odo the night before.

Same with the finish odo eye witness. A reasonable time and distance is fine. Your starting and ending gas receipts are the official start and end times. The eye witnesses are just verifying your odo before and after the ride. If you get finished at midnight, you don't need to wake someone up. Get the hotel clerk or your wife, etc to verify your odo in the morning. Especially if your morning location is a short distance from your finish gas receipt location.

Remember that it's your responsibility to make it as easy as possible for the IBA verification teams to follow your receipts and see that you rode the route you say you did w/o any possibility for short cuts. That's why you document your corners and turn around, if used. Any electronic dated business receipt with all of the required info will work. Gas receipts are easy, but any solid receipt does the job.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thank you VERY much for the great information! This'll help alot!
Glad to help. Have a great ride and report back how it went! The BBG is all about managing your stopped time. You just can't spend time sitting around at stops. Remember to hydrate too. Your mind slows down when you get dehydrated and you start making mistakes.

The BBG can be easy or hard. Sometimes stuff happens. Don't be shy about calling it and stopping for sleep if your body demands it. You can always turn it into a BB1500 after some quality sleep.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
@Jersey - I hope you're out there having a great ride today on your BBG attempt. When you're done, get some sleep and let us know how it went. The Good, the Bad, the Ugly or if the ride actually just went to plan like clockwork. Even the boring rides that went smooth w/o drama rate a quick run down when it's your first BBG. Everyone, and I mean everyone, learns something from that first one. :cool: