Altberg boots

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
I was cleaning & polishing my splendid Altberg Clubman Roadster boots yesterday and couldn't help noticing that they're looking a little tired and tatty. It came as a real shock when I checked the label inside to find that they are ten years old now! It feels like only yesterday that I visited Richmond to be measured for them but I have been wearing them all year round in all weathers for a full decade.
I am considering replacing them with a pair of Altberg Hoggs so that I don't need to carry walkabout boots with me on trips to interesting locations and hopefully some of you can allay my fears of change. So Hogg wearers :-

1) How often have the laces caused you to trip and drop your bike?
2) Is putting them on/taking them off a long slow process?
3) Do the 'normal height' ones keep your feet warm & dry?
4) Are the tall ones much more inconvenient than the short ones?
5) Can you comfortably walk, say, five miles in yours?
6) How many years do you expect yours to last without resoling?
7) Have you now switched to a "better" boot?

or should I just order another pair of Clubman Roadsters?

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
Bob
I am also looking at replacing my trusty 1997 Roadsters with Hoggs. I await replies with baited breath.....

been using hogs for years now got my first pair so far back I cant remember if it was in the 80's or 90's. in answer to your queries don't worry had non of the problems you envisage, how long the soles last depends on how far you are regularly walking of the bike etc.
not tried the ones with the extra thick sole thought it might be in the way for gear changes on my bike

Tom Tom

IBA Member
1) Never
2) No different than my all Velcro ones.
3) I would assume that will be the same. I have the long ones.
4) Unknown.
5) Yes.
6) Mine are 2 years old and still brand new so 10 years should not be a problem.
7) There aren't any better.

The only thing I notice is that my textile trousers ride up my boots when I need to put my foot down a lot ( in towns etc). I just don't pull the zip at the bottom of my trousers all the way down.

I got the Hogs as I tuck my longjohn's inside my socks and the Velcro ones would be too tight around the thigh.

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
I have a pair of the HOG High and the HOG Light for summer. I went for the high because I found water coming over the top of the lower boot and got the light for summer use.

To answer your specific questions:
1) How often have the laces caused you to trip and drop your bike? Never
2) Is putting them on/taking them off a long slow process? Not at all, as quick as velcro in my experience.
3) Do the 'normal height' ones keep your feet warm & dry? Yes but in my view my high version are excellent for winter use.
4) Are the tall ones much more inconvenient than the short ones? No there is only one more speed loop to thread.
5) Can you comfortably walk, say, five miles in yours? Easily, I find the limiting factor is the wearers lack of breath.
6) How many years do you expect yours to last without resoling? How long is a piece of string?
7) Have you now switched to a "better" boot? No it's Altbergs only for me.

Hope this helps.

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
So what do you think Gordon, the Hogg wearers all seem a bit mealy-mouthed to me, not the sort of ringing endorsements I was hoping for?

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
Visiting the factory is good too; they love feet and boots. Their hours are random and not in the user's interest so check opening times before travel, they close for school half term and stuff like that. Always ask for a discount, things like IAM get -10% or military/Police get discount.

IBA (I think it was IBA may have been another group) organised a factory trip and we got a good insight to how they operate. I believe it is the last actual boot maker in UK.

Recently they stopped refurbishing boots, not sure if they re-sole them now either. I think for between £150 and £200 you certainly get your moneys worth and as Ruskin said:

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When
you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay
too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you
bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The
common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a
lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well
to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will
have enough to pay for something better.”

John Ruskin
tags: business, economics, humour

bmbob

IBA Member
Hi Dave
yes it was IBA, it was a RTE on the 20th Sept 2014, we had a tour of the factory, and several peeps bought boots.
I found it very interesting.
Ride safe
Regards Bob

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
Hi Dave
yes it was IBA, it was a RTE on the 20th Sept 2014, we had a tour of the factory, and several peeps bought boots.
Ride safe
Regards Bob
Thanks Bob, thought as much but my memory is not what it used to be, actually my memory for stuff like that has always been bad just that now I'm older I can blame dementia!

GSears

Premier Member
IBA Member
So what do you think Gordon, the Hogg wearers all seem a bit mealy-mouthed to me, not the sort of ringing endorsements I was hoping for?
Doesn't really fill one with confidence;)
Might have a ride up to Richmond and get some expert advice on the matter :)

GSears

Premier Member
IBA Member
Hi Dave
Ride safe
Regards Bob
I remember buying a set of Bahn Rider boots. Excellent for long rides, dry and warm. Unfortunately my clubmans are in need of some work after 20 years so I thought a pair of Hoggs.....

Aitch

7.5% discount if you sign up for their emails......in fact you might not even need to bother signing up discount code is ALT75 although this may only apply to online sales.

GSears

Premier Member
IBA Member
10th Feb is good for me....
Weather permitting.
Might have a Bap and a Yorkshire tea whilst I'm up there :D

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
Got a pair of hogg lites a couple of years ago got measured in January got them in May be prepared for a wait.
They phoned me a couple of weeks before delivery 'there is a blemish in the leather on one toecap if this is acceptable we will take 10% off the price'
These are normal height I have never been cold in them and are comfortable to walk in all day good value for the price.