Android "Trip Computer" Functionality?

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
This might be the time to ask this astute audience this question! :lol3

On LD rides specifically, one of the things that you'll really learn as the miles go by is to monitor the overall ride pace.

Garmin (and I presume other GPS') have a trip computer function display that can be monitored. These will display useful info about your trip, but the two most important become average [overall] speed (including any stopped time) and moving [beyond say 5MPH] speed.

The combination of these two values over a ride beyond a few miles will let you how efficient you are at stops -and- while moving.

For those of us using Android phones to try and emulate this functionality, I've only tried a few apps to do this. Here is a list of them, along with comments:

Move! Bike Computer
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.com.digita.BikeComputer

This one you *can* customize, but would be nice if the app would behave a bit better when in the background. I mean, you do want it to run continuously, but it seems to have a couple of quirks. While in the foreground, it seems to do a respectable job, however. Like many of us, my phone needs to be able to do more than one thing while it's on the bike.

SpeedView Pro
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.codesector.speedview.pro

I picked the pro version up some time ago. There *is* a moving average and an overall average, but it's not able to be displayed on the main screen. When you pull that secondary screen up, all the data you really need is there, just kinda hard to see - font size is rather small. There was chatter some time back about an actual trip computer app being created (since most of the work is already done...), but I think the developer has moved on. So, so close...

Speed Tracker Free
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oxagile.speedtrackerfree

The Android version isn't nearly as slick as the iOS version...ugh!

DigiHUD Speedometer
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mrchops.android.digihud

At least this shows (overall) average on the main screen, so it does have this in its favor.

I know there's a crap-load of others out there, I've not tried due to lack of time to really evaluate what else is out there. Again, speedometer is nice, but really looking for that trip computer functionality.

I know there *is* an iOS app that does the job, I just don't remember what it's called. When I last looked into this (about a year ago) it wasn't available for Android. It's yet another speedometer application, but the trip computer function is pretty much what would be found on any late-model Garmin device.

So, what are *you* using - for LD rides? Any other apps I should be looking at?

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I like the idea, but I start to get screen overload. I have two GPS running and use the trip computers for them plus the bikes trip computer; key factors for me are moving average, stopped time, ETA to next via point (bonii) and overall ETA to final destination; between the two GPS and the bikes trip computer it works. Maybe a back up option?

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I'm just looking for something that does this job...

Oh, the built-in GPS on the Goldwing displays little of this info. The dumbing-down courtesy of Honda's legal team, most likely.

Again, the two most interested in are average and moving speeds.

Scott Parish

Premier Member
I run two Garmin gps units - primary a Nav V and secondary a little etrex 20. However, for the 49/10 just completed; I found myself using my phone as primary for point-to-point navigation. It has the advantage of providing me a real time update on traffic and a realistic arrival time to next stop whereas my Garmin keeps track of the overall trip. For multi-day rides I'm more focused on daily total and do not worry much about fuel stop duration. I know how far I need to ride each day which is motivation enough if I want to stop at a decent time.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Ulysse Speedometer has it...

Took it for a ride; seems to do what I'm looking for.

Now, just need to get proficient in using it - quickly.