Animal collisions

Biggles

Premier Member
From today's Courier Mail:

New NRMA Insurance claims data showed there were 17,200 car crashes with animals throughout 2021 and 2022.

Dubbo, in NSW, was found to be the country’s worst location with 165 animal collisions, followed by Canberra in the ACT with 111.

In Queensland, St George was the worst location (17). Mt Gambier was the worst spot in South Australia (13) and, in Western Australia, the highest animal collisions were recorded in Margaret River (26).

Kangaroos accounted for close to 90 per cent of the animal-vehicle collisions in Australia.

The iconic Aussie creature was involved in 14,501 (88 per cent) of the collisions, followed by wallabies (777 claims), wombats (631) and deer (317).

Of the animal collisions in that period, about 10 per cent of cars were write offs.
=====================================================

As usual, motorcycles aren't distinguished from cars.

Tele

Premier Member
Just wondering .... does the data only include crash stats from claims made specifically through NRMA, or is it all animal collisions from all insurers? If only NRMA, then the stats would be much higher when adding in the data from the other big insurance providers.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
I expect collisions with deer will eventually outstrip those with wombats due to geographic/environmental preferences. Deer thrive on much wider variables.

Biggles

Premier Member
Just wondering .... does the data only include crash stats from claims made specifically through NRMA, or is it all animal collisions from all insurers? If only NRMA, then the stats would be much higher when adding in the data from the other big insurance providers.
Good point. I don't know for sure, but judging by the numbers and the exclusion of some states, I suspect it's only NRMA insurance data.

Vlad

Premier Member
The last stats I read on population numbers had NSW and Qld alone at 50 million head. I wonder if they differentiate between live strikes and carcasses, and I’m guessing truck hits are not included.

We’re there any numbers on cow hits Biggles, there is a lot of unfenced paddock in Qld.

Last edited:

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Considering the number of claims posted on line to insurers prior to assessment and the centralisation of panel shops into towns like Dobbo, Tamworth and so on...and of course the lack of recognition for anything much outside settlements of that sort of scale im sceptical of the quality
of the sample.
I've smashed something north of 60+ roos over the years in cars and utes and bikes too. I looked and none had a postcode of any large/regional towns..

Oh sorry 1, I smacked on the overpass roundabout near the cemetery in Armidale about 4am on a minus 2degree night starting my run to Remark SA
for the muster.

Wow that's a while ago.