Appreciation

Relativity new to the forum, I have learned from and enjoyed a wide range of postings but rarely posted. Many post provide comfort and safety information and some offer suggestions on clothing, route selection, documentation methods and interesting stories from riders. I’m reluctant to make this post as it does not fit into the general use of this site but after a lot of consideration I just can’t resist offering my feelings. I enjoy riding short one day rides or weeks long cross country experiences and do thrive on the challenges the IBA rides provide.

HOWEVER….
Being a novice among the many great riders in IBA I really enjoy the gatherings like Jacksonville or Denison where I get to simply be around the individuals I so look up to. Really this has alway been the highlight of my membership in the IBA…….. That is until a few weeks ago when it grew even deeper.

THE POINT OF THIS POST
I completed a fall Equinox in 2021 and in mid December I decided I wanted to do the Winter Solstice and developed a route and plan. As the date drew close the weather prediction was for lots of rain all along the route I planned and my wife and family expressed concern with me riding alone in these conditions and asked me to not attempt this ride with so much dark and raining conditions expected. My heart took a “thud” as I refuse to worry them but wanted so bad to do the ride.

I had no one to turn to so I took a huge leap and made a post on this forum asking if anyone was willing to do this ride with me. I received a couple of caring comments from individuals that were not able to help but I was close to forgetting it at this time.

One last peek at the site and out of nowhere a member in Tennessee posted he was planning a ride for the day before the Solstice that would end about 90 miles from me and he offered to do the ride with me. This meant almost immediate back to back SS1000 rides for him and the expectation of poor weather. I was amazed and contacted him and arrangements were made.

Our first meeting was in the rain in a parking lot, then we were on our way with him leading every mile. Often during the ride I wondered how I got so lucky.

My membership in the IBA has taken an even deeper feeling of appreciation. There are so many others here that have done the same for others, but this individual was Doug Vance a real IBA all star, and I’m eternally grateful.

Chuck Gatecliff

JAVGuzzi

Premier Member
I almost fell out of my recliner when I saw the signature on the above post !!

Sorry Chuck, I'm not going to let your golden tongue B.S. us too much !! I first met Chuck the day before the end of the 2019 IBR in Spartanburg. I have done a Great Lakes 100 group ride with Chuck. But I couldn't keep up with him. He has a lot of rides under his belt and is an amazing Rider especially for a guy his age. I won't be surprised if he beats Ward Blanchard's ( RIP ) record for the oldest person @ 89 y/o to do a SS1K. I was honored to do that ride with Ward, BTW. If I'm still able to ride, I'd like to be riding with Chuck when he does.

Firstpeke

Absolutely well done to both of you!

Great to heat of such wonderful help from a fellow member and the desire to go get it done!

My wife and family were concerned that on my retirement my stated intention was not only to ride more, but to get some IBA miles done!
I mitigated this concern by buying a spot tracker and providing links to every ride so they can follow my progress.

Not sure it helped as much as I expected it to but you can only do what you can do and if at then end of the day your life partner is not happy, you do have to consider perhaps being somewhat more cautious in your riding choices!

YEMV

JAVGuzzi

Premier Member
Same thing after I took up MC riding after a 25 year hiatus & LD riding after I retired - the boss was a little concerned. I'm not sure why tho. Maybe because If anything happens to me she would be down to only 1 SSAN check per month?

I don't have a spot tracker, but did some pre-planning down at my local funeral home. That seemed to satisfy her concern. :rolleyes: