Armistice 1000

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
NOTE:
Please read the information on rider guidance documents. Link in 1st post.
Particularly::::
The listed documentation is to go to our verifier. Martin Buck. Email to [email protected]
Try to send all the documentation in just one email to make Martin's life as easy as possible.
Martin is on a family holiday at the moment So don't expect an instant reply. Because 70 riders have registered Martin will take longer than normal to verify your ride.

For all those who have completed a ride. Well done. For those still to go take care.

Im doing my ride with 2 friends next saturday

Well I am ready to go tomorrow morning about 04.00, starting in Spalding Lincs. I am just going to keep to the motorways to try and keep it simply and keep the wife happy, I have set up spotwalla so she can keep an eye on me.Looks like the weather gods are going to smile on me so should be a pleasant trip.

GraemeandSally

RBLR 1000
Premier Member
G
Well I am ready to go tomorrow morning about 04.00, starting in Spalding Lincs. I am just going to keep to the motorways to try and keep it simply and keep the wife happy, I have set up spotwalla so she can keep an eye on me.Looks like the weather gods are going to smile on me so should be a pleasant trip.
Good luck with your ride tomorrow

John ZRX

That's mine done. Kept it simple and did the RBLR1000 southern clockwise, start/finish at M5 Taunton Deane Services northbound so a short ride from and to home. Looked like a weather window so went for it yesterday (and quite a lot of today) - 0528 to 0400. Got away with it for the most part with a damp Somerset and South Wales first thing and a couple of heavy showers on the M5 to finish offf, otherwise pretty good. A lot of riding in the dark, as expected, but North Wales is spectacular at this time of year with the colours of the trees, which is why I chose that route and timing. A lot of fog and mist patches along the southernmost leg, Brighton to Exeter, and, being a Monday, traffic very heavy in places. This and interminable lane closures and restricted speed limits on motorways held things up slightly, but all part of the challenge so thanks for putting it up.

I don't have a track sharing app but I do have a wife who worries so I settled for leaving a rough schedule and sending a quick text at each check point. Worked ok except I had to tap out a few extra words explaining why I'd fallen behind my predicted timings a bit.

I'll set about compiling my verification submission asap. Quick question so I do it right - do I need to attach receipt/speedo photos for every check point and fuel stop (I had 13 including the 6 checkpoints and my start and finish) or just photos of start and finish and copies of all the receipts as part of the log? Sorry if this already made clear elsewhere.
Thanks and all the best to everyone having a go at this.

John,

it should be your start and finish receipt in a photo with your odo reading, making sure the place, time and date are clear.

All others just the receipt.

Getting a Spotwalla track helps show where you have been, if you need help setting one up, let me know.

Well done..

Jon

John ZRX

John,

it should be your start and finish receipt in a photo with your odo reading, making sure the place, time and date are clear.

All others just the receipt.

Getting a Spotwalla track helps show where you have been, if you need help setting one up, let me know.

Well done..

Jon
Thank you for your helpful reply, Jon. Makes it simpler to put together.
As for tracking and sharing, I am a bit technically challenged and only very recently started using GPS (Zumo and Basecamp) so it's all a steep learning curve. The Zumo has been ok for downloading where I've been but for sharing live tracks I'll take a look at your suggestion.
Now I just have to work out how you guys manage to fit in the special elements to your rides like your fantastic memorial tribute. I can just about manage "ride, fuel comfort break, repeat" for 1000 miles, hence following pre-published routes so far.
All the best,
John

No problems John.

When your ride is verified Martin will workout the shortest points between receipt locations and add all the legs together. As long as this comes to over 1000 miles and your start and finish mileage ties up, you have a verified ride (I hope...). Sending in a spot track will help show where you have been and helps Martin.

If you have an iPhone get SW Connect http://rvtechtools.com/swconnect.html, if you have an android phone, Bubbler http://bubblergps.com

Then have a look here... https://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?threads/swconnect.1555/

Simples....

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
The weather gods (BBC news channel) are saying tomorrow (Monday) is looking good 13-15 c small chance of rain so at the crack of sparrows and give it a go, carpe diem.
Well it was my idea
CLICK CLICK CLICK that sound when the battery doesn't have enough to engage the starter with all the faffing about getting the pic of the receipt and the rider panel for the mileage so the ignition has to be on i forgot to turn it off whilst putting the camera away and getting the gloves on, oh effing great not even started .
With a receipt time at 0341 i am wondering what to do when a recovery van came in for fuel he got me going and saved the day gave him a fiver towards his breakfast, i got to the Dartford tunnel to find all traffic at a standstill both tunnels closed sitting there with the engine running as i knew it wound not start again the minutes are passing by and the temperature gauge is climbing after 15 minutes i am close to the point where i am going have to switch off then it all got moving again chuffed to feck!
Emerged from the tunnel to find the M25 North was closed J 30-29 AAAARRGGGG by this time i am close to having a sense of humour failure by means of some judicious navigating i got back to the M25 at J29 overall i lost an hour which is less time for a break/sorting problems in so up to the second stop Lowestoft quick receipt for a sandwich oh shit will it start? spun over and fired instantly PHEW! my fault for not keeping it on charge in the previous week.
On to Ferrybridge services via the A47/A17/A1 that A47 is hard work had i not had the delay at the start i would have missed the bulk of the rush hour with few overtaking opportunity's at one point i am following a 30 tonne tipper truck i have no idea what he had been driving through but most of it end up on the front of the bike me and the visor so at Newark on the A1 a quick clean up and fuel then on to ferrybridge services to get a receipt.
For once the Manchester motorway system was behaving as it should so a good ride to Bangor got there at 1440 fuel, tea, and sandwich then the interesting bit to Haverford west, the sat nav said three and a bit hours down various A and B roads down the west coast stunning scenery and some lovely little villages got there at 1907 just a shame i had to do half of it in the dark.
On the way to Exeter the brake failure warning light came on the rear brake pedal had no resistance but the front was working normally on inspection no fluid leaks as i still had full operation on the front brakes i decided to continue with caution, Exeter 2220 fuel snack and a hot chocolate.
From Exeter to Brighton i was plagued with patchy fog or fatchy pog for any one inclined to a spoonerism or two might say which slowed me down, at brighton i had to have ten minute rest as a result i had 1 hour 20 minutes to get to dartford just for a change the M23/M25 at stupid o'clock was empty made it in good time last receipt timed at 0321.
The best part about the start/finish it's ten minutes ride from home so by 0430 i am in bed.
Postscript
I spoke to the font of all things BMW in south London area Mark Holden he said the rear master cylinder has shat it's self so a new one ordered from Ocean BMW 'that will be £132.00 sir':eek:

Last edited:
Well I completed my ride yesterday. I started at 04.00 from Spalding Lincs a quick trip down the A1, round the M25,along the M4,over the Severn bridge then up the M50 joing the M5/M6 to Glasgow across up to Perth then back to Edinburgh and down the A1 and finally the A17 to home. Arriving back just after 22.00 which is a good job as I had forgotten about the 18 hour rule. By keeping my trip easy and just using the motorway network which was all trouble free,I found the whole trip stress free. As much as I would rather have spent more time going down A roads, time restraints made this the best option for me. I am really jealous of some of the trips we have already read about.Best see if the wife will let me do another one in June.

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
Well I completed my ride yesterday. I started at 04.00 from Spalding Lincs a quick trip down the A1, round the M25,along the M4,over the Severn bridge then up the M50 joing the M5/M6 to Glasgow across up to Perth then back to Edinburgh and down the A1 and finally the A17 to home. Arriving back just after 22.00 which is a good job as I had forgotten about the 18 hour rule. By keeping my trip easy and just using the motorway network which was all trouble free,I found the whole trip stress free. As much as I would rather have spent more time going down A roads, time restraints made this the best option for me. I am really jealous of some of the trips we have already read about.Best see if the wife will let me do another one in June.
18 hour rule?

Don't stress, RBLR has 18 hour rule. Lots of non motorway and some inexperienced long distance riders.

Good ride, nice to hear the motorways were clear, for a change.

Safari Ferg

Safari Ferg, President IBA Ireland
Premier Member
I am planning to do a ride in Ireland with a mate who will be trying his first certified ride :)
We tried and failed :-(
We set out at 0400 this morning from.Whitehead, County Antrim the weather was abysmal (torrential rain and high wind) down to Cork and all but defeated some high end riding gear, we pushed on to Ballyshannon 505 miles in 11 hours so proved the route, but decided that to turn round and retrace our route would have been neither enjoyable or more importantly not safe with more serious weather due; it was a good practice and got 640+ miles ridden; I also have a bit of a chest infection so am operating below par.
I might not get a chance for a reshod as I am heading out to Africa for the last two weeks in November to participate in the Centenary Parade for the end of WW1 in Africa on 25th, the Germans were still fighting on 14th November when they got a telegram saying it was all over in Europe, so the marched for 10 days the Regional Administration Centre and surrendered on the 25th.

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
Commiserations, You ONLY managed to ride 640 miles. Never say never, might get that chance. See you in Scunthorpe or even Calais....

John ZRX

Well it was my idea
CLICK CLICK CLICK that sound when the battery doesn't have enough to engage the starter with all the faffing about getting the pic of the receipt and the rider panel for the mileage so the ignition has to be on i forgot to turn it off whilst putting the camera away and getting the gloves on, oh effing great not even started .
With a receipt time at 0341 i am wondering what to do when a recovery van came in for fuel he got me going and saved the day gave him a fiver towards his breakfast, i got to the Dartford tunnel to find all traffic at a standstill both tunnels closed sitting there with the engine running as i knew it wound not start again the minutes are passing by and the temperature gauge is climbing after 15 minutes i am close to the point where i am going have to switch off then it all got moving again chuffed to feck!
Emerged from the tunnel to find the M25 North was closed J 30-29 AAAARRGGGG by this time i am close to having a sense of humour failure by means of some judicious navigating i got back to the M25 at J29 overall i lost an hour which is less time for a break/sorting problems in so up to the second stop Lowestoft quick receipt for a sandwich oh shit will it start? spun over and fired instantly PHEW! my fault for not keeping it on charge in the previous week.
On to Ferrybridge services via the A47/A17/A1 that A47 is hard work had i not had the delay at the start i would have missed the bulk of the rush hour with few overtaking opportunity's at one point i am following a 30 tonne tipper truck i have no idea what he had been driving through but most of it end up on the front of the bike me and the visor so at Newark on the A1 a quick clean up and fuel then on to ferrybridge services to get a receipt.
For once the Manchester motorway system was behaving as it should so a good ride to Bangor got there at 1440 fuel, tea, and sandwich then the interesting bit to Haverford west, the sat nav said three and a bit hours down various A and B roads down the west coast stunning scenery and some lovely little villages got there at 1907 just a shame i had to do half of it in the dark.
On the way to Exeter the brake failure warning light came on the rear brake pedal had no resistance but the front was working normally on inspection no fluid leaks as i still had full operation on the front brakes i decided to continue with caution, Exeter 2220 fuel snack and a hot chocolate.
From Exeter to Brighton i was plagued with patchy fog or fatchy pog for any one inclined to a spoonerism or two might say which slowed me down, at brighton i had to have ten minute rest as a result i had 1 hour 20 minutes to get to dartford just for a change the M23/M25 at stupid o'clock was empty made it in good time last receipt timed at 0321.
The best part about the start/finish it's ten minutes ride from home so by 0430 i am in bed.
Postscript
I spoke to the font of all things BMW in south London area Mark Holden he said the rear master cylinder has shat it's self so a new one ordered from Ocean BMW 'that will be £132.00 sir':eek:
Great story and just goes to show how Keep Calm and Carry On (or whatever you do to overcome all the sh1te found on the Great British road network) can get you there in the end. By my reckoning we must have crossed paths along the Exeter Brighton/Brighton Exeter leg somewhere. I left Brighton just before midnight and I was probably trying as hard to see where I was going through the mist as you were so sorry if you saw a biker who didn't nod.
Anyway, as it was your idea I'd just like to say thanks.
John