Ask Me About Heated Gear

KEN PHENIX

Premier Member
IBA Member
Hello Ken new to the forum. Name is Joe. In the middle of a heated glove dilemma and hoping you can help.
My old gerbings were not getting very warm so bought some used widders. I discovered they are wired in series as you said and got super hot when connected to my parallel harnesses.
My question is: is the harness supposed to be delivering 6volts per glove? (is that how series works?)
Is it likely I damaged the widders by delivering 12 volts to them in parallel? They don't seem to heat when given power with my rewired series harness.
Any help would be appreciated.
Backround. I ride almost every day here in nyc including single digit days so need to fix them. I use handguards to block the wind and have heated grips but some days just need the gloves. Thanks Ken
Hey Joe,
I'm happy to help if I can. Do you want to try to save the Widder gloves? I have no idea what Widder used for "waterproof" membrane but it's probably melted now. If you want to, cut the lining around the back of the gauntlet and remove it to peek inside. It shouldn't be hard to turn the glove inside out. If the vinyl waterproof insert looks alright I can provide a carbon fiber conversion kit complete with sealed connections and 2.5mm coaxial plugs for $50. https://kphenix.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/DIY-HEATED-GLOVE-KIT/

If you'd rather send me a pair of new Gore Tex gloves I'll do the whole job for $120.

Give me a shout anytime. We'll figure out the best course of action. 409-363-1417

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Hi, Ken (nice name, BTW)

I notice you're mainly discussing (...and I'm learning...) about gloves, liners, the 'load' of the heating circuit.

Have you messed around much with heat controllers?

Example, the controllers that are motorcycle specific - well, let's just say they're nice for what they are, but they're simply a Pulse Width Modulator (PWM) circuit, turning on and off the DC voltage, in order to keep you from baking (or burning!) as the temperature changes.

I'm just wondering how many may have tried out (and with what kind of luck) some of the inexpensive LED Driver/brightness adjusters that are available.

Looking forward to your reply!

KEN PHENIX

Premier Member
IBA Member
Hi, Ken (nice name, BTW)

I notice you're mainly discussing (...and I'm learning...) about gloves, liners, the 'load' of the heating circuit.

Have you messed around much with heat controllers?

Example, the controllers that are motorcycle specific - well, let's just say they're nice for what they are, but they're simply a Pulse Width Modulator (PWM) circuit, turning on and off the DC voltage, in order to keep you from baking (or burning!) as the temperature changes.

I'm just wondering how many may have tried out (and with what kind of luck) some of the inexpensive LED Driver/brightness adjusters that are available.

Looking forward to your reply!
I did play with some dimmers several years ago and found them to be too unreliable to justify the savings. And of course when they failed I was hundreds of miles from home in sub-freezing temps. I'm sure they've improved over the years but I just haven't had reason to check. You can get a weatherproof dual controller with battery harness and warranty for south of $100. My 10 year old Warm and Safe HeatTrollers were submerged in flood water (screw you Harvey) for 10 days. And one of them still works! I traded the bad one in (yes Warm and Safe takes trade ins) and got $30 off on a new dual remote model. One less thing to worry about IMHO.

Conversely, I do the gloves because I can add higher wattage more reliable heating elements to top quality well insulated bona fide Gore Tex gloves. That combination simply doesn't exist anywhere else in the market.

Last edited:
Hi Ken, I was captivated while reading through your posts. You have helped so many riders stay warmer with your creativity and experience. I am always looking for innovation in motorcycles and accessories to share with visitors to my website. I hope you don't mind, I shared an article about your talents. Hopefully I presented you well. Please check out the article here: https://haulnride.com/supercharge-motorcycle-heated-gear-repair-gear-not-working
Keep up the good work. Dave

KEN PHENIX

Premier Member
IBA Member
Hi Ken, I was captivated while reading through your posts. You have helped so many riders stay warmer with your creativity and experience. I am always looking for innovation in motorcycles and accessories to share with visitors to my website. I hope you don't mind, I shared an article about your talents. Hopefully I presented you well. Please check out the article here: https://haulnride.com/supercharge-motorcycle-heated-gear-repair-gear-not-working
Keep up the good work. Dave
Thank you Dave! I am honored.

KEN PHENIX

Premier Member
IBA Member
WIDDER GLOVES DECONSTRUCTED:

Thanks to Mike Kneebone I have a pair of Widder gloves to play with.

These gloves have been romanticized for years and more recently purchased by unwitting Widder bidders on ebay. But this is not how heated glove deal seekers get burned. That happens when they attempt to retrofit them to mate to contemporary heated gear.

Here's why: Widder gloves were designed to be configured in a series. Each glove shows a resistance of 3.8 ohms. When properly connected in series they would produce a maximum of 12.5 watts each @ 13.8 volts. In parallel however, 3.8 ohms @ 13.8v yields FIFTY WATTS! THAT WILL CAUSE SERIOUS BURNS! That would probably fry the tiny gauge copper heating elements in seconds.

So in a nutshell, before you click the buy it now button keep in mind these gloves are not waterproof, have little crash protection and are not compatible with any heated gear currently on the market. They would however, make a nice pair of unheated gloves for back-up or passenger for short money. They're available in size XXL (fit XL) new with tags on the IBA e-store. https://ibaestore.com/index.php

Unlike their torso warming counterparts which were expertly crafted in the good old USA, these gloves were farmed out to Pakistan. There is no leather over the knuckles so crash protection there is nill.

There is no internal waterproof layer. The only rain protection comes from a nylon over-mitt stored in a zippered pouch in the top of the gauntlet.

The heating element was woven through the insulation. I noticed the wire passed across the pad of the thumb on this particular glove.

The heating elements are tiny gauge two strand copper about 62" in length. Resistance at the plug is 3.8 ohms. (.75 ohms per foot) When properly connected in series the gloves would produce only 12.5 watts each. I understand the horror stories riders tell of attempting to connect these gloves in parallel. That would blast 50 watts through each glove (enough to cause serious burns) until the element melts like a blown fuse.

If you really want to rewire your Widder gloves for use with contemporary controllers and jacket liners, I offer a kit for that.
https://kphenix.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/DIY-HEATED-GLOVE-KIT/

Last edited:

KEN PHENIX

Premier Member
IBA Member
Summer is here. Time to give the old gear a once-over before packing it away. Do a quick resistance check. Jackets should read 2 to 3 ohms. Gloves typically read 11 to 13 ohms. (if you got gloves from me they'll read around 9.3 ohms)

Here's an example: One of the plugs on this jacket is obviously broken. But a simple continuity check reveals another plug that looks fine is faulty. Better to find out now than next winter on the road.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Motorcyc...XK5cFf/0/30c41ff0/960/20180604_213401-960.mp4

Thank you Jim Burriss!

KEN PHENIX

Premier Member
IBA Member
I'm doing my best to stay ahead of demand this fall. You can too. These Olympia WeatherKings with bona fide Gore Tex, Primaloft and Phenix heat are ready to ship.
Still $200 + $10 shipping to the lower 48.

Traxx

Premier Member
Howdy Ken, are you still doing this? I am interested in the DIY kit. And I believe that you are mentioned in the IBA store for a conversion kit for the widder vest to heat troller conversion kit?

KEN PHENIX

Premier Member
IBA Member
Howdy Ken, are you still doing this? I am interested in the DIY kit. And I believe that you are mentioned in the IBA store for a conversion kit for the widder vest to heat troller conversion kit?
Yes Carl but fortunately there's very little DIY involved. ;) The kit comes complete with battery harness, Warm & Safe single Heat-troller with leather swivel clip pouch and a coaxial-to-Widder adapter to plug into your vest. If you will give me your email address I will send you an invoice. Call me or email anytime.
Ken
409-363-1417
[email protected]

Traxx

Premier Member
Sent a email, I may give you a call when I get back on land. That should be Thursday depending on weather, I may be a bit out of it though since I am working the vampire shift 1800 to 0600.

So I decided on heated gear about 4 yrs ago looked around Harley was to expensive and said Harley. I ended up getting venture heat gloves had to snake wires down my sleeves and back horrible. So every year I try to add a garment to my gear. So next year I bought the jacket liner which the gloves plug into. These worked great for maybe two seasons. Downfall 1 yr warranty when it should be triple they replaced one glove but that was with a lot of complaining. So if you have interest in heated gear stay away from venture heat find something also with a good warranty.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
So I decided on heated gear about 4 yrs ago looked around Harley was to expensive and said Harley. I ended up getting venture heat gloves had to snake wires down my sleeves and back horrible. So every year I try to add a garment to my gear. So next year I bought the jacket liner which the gloves plug into. These worked great for maybe two seasons. Downfall 1 yr warranty when it should be triple they replaced one glove but that was with a lot of complaining. So if you have interest in heated gear stay away from venture heat find something also with a good warranty.
I'd go with Warm-N-Safe, good warranty and when I had to deal with them to replace my wireless controller it was an easy process

KEN PHENIX

Premier Member
IBA Member
Yes, unfortunately several brands went to Venture heat for their electrics a couple of years ago and the results have been less than stellar.
Give me a shout any evening after 5:30pm mountain time and we'll work out a solution.
409-363-1417

Sportsterpaul

Ken, hello from balmy Michigan, a couple of question please. I started in heated gear with a Kanetsu Airvantage vest,(was impressed with the inflatable air bladders- in electric failure they still had some insulative qualities as well as wind blocking),20 years ago. Worked well except for lack of heat on the arms, so I graduated to their jacket liner. I ride behind a small screen so more airflow on the arms. With the liner I didn’t notice so much the feel of heat on the arms but did notice the lack of cold- so a benefit. Hand deflectors are standard cold weather fare but as I’ve begun running bar end mirrors and heated grips are no longer an option. I do use the “stitch” heat controller which I’m told is a rebadged “Warm and Safe”item, correct? My age, 74, and a body filling up with arthritis forces me to deal with cold finger tips and toes. I seldom ride any longer in -20F temps, too hard getting the bike started, so 0F is my new lower limit. Do you still have heated gloves on hand? My hands measure 10 inches around and normally wear a large size. If I understand correctly I would need an XL? Short stubby fingers are my issue but I deal with it the best I can. My bike is my transportation, 24/7, 12 months, just looking for a bit more comfort. Thanking you in advance.
Sincerely, Paul

KEN PHENIX

Premier Member
IBA Member
Ken, hello from balmy Michigan, a couple of question please. I started in heated gear with a Kanetsu Airvantage vest,(was impressed with the inflatable air bladders- in electric failure they still had some insulative qualities as well as wind blocking),20 years ago. Worked well except for lack of heat on the arms, so I graduated to their jacket liner. I ride behind a small screen so more airflow on the arms. With the liner I didn’t notice so much the feel of heat on the arms but did notice the lack of cold- so a benefit. Hand deflectors are standard cold weather fare but as I’ve begun running bar end mirrors and heated grips are no longer an option. I do use the “stitch” heat controller which I’m told is a rebadged “Warm and Safe”item, correct? My age, 74, and a body filling up with arthritis forces me to deal with cold finger tips and toes. I seldom ride any longer in -20F temps, too hard getting the bike started, so 0F is my new lower limit. Do you still have heated gloves on hand? My hands measure 10 inches around and normally wear a large size. If I understand correctly I would need an XL? Short stubby fingers are my issue but I deal with it the best I can. My bike is my transportation, 24/7, 12 months, just looking for a bit more comfort. Thanking you in advance.
Sincerely, Paul
Sure thing Paul,
Give me a shout any evening after 5:30pm mountain time. 409-363-1417
The trick will be finding gloves with the proper finger length. I have some ideas.

Sportsterpaul

Ken, thank you you so very much. The gloves get HOT! Controller does a great job dialing it down. Impressive performance and will go a long ways towards comfort on extended rides. Still awkward with the extra wires but gotta do it, thank you again. Keep it safe!

Sportsterpaul

Ken, just wanted to send some additional feedback as we break out from our winter weather. The gloves you modified for me were sensational, as I succumb more and more to Arthur Ritis I now have conquered the “cold hands”! I amazed myself just how often I used them, even on days that I might not normally have worn them. Yes it takes an extra minute or two to gear up,(running the wire harness down the sleeves is a chore), but the comfort gained from warm hands cannot be overlooked. These have been a game changer for me and I sincerely thank you. Keep it safe!