Aussie boys on the IBR

Fatman

I just read the same Brookester, bugger. The text below copied from the IBR report for Day 6.

Olaf Moon is out of the rally. He has a damaged tire and is traveling slowly to avoid further damage. He reported that he was OK, but would not get to the checkpoint in time. Olaf has not been able to catch a break for this rally. He struggled through dealer caused bike issues with his BMW just prior to the rally. The resulting sleep deficit from dealing with that was compounded during Leg 1. Sad to see him have the tire issue take him out of the rally.

BMWguy

IBA Member
Man I hate that for Olf - such a nice guy. I hope he gets in the rally in 2019.
Had a great time talking to him - for sure he loves his country!

Anyone heard from tabledrain?

gus

Anyone heard from tabledrain?
Ian is in, scored and happy enough. Lots of traffic and roadworks have hampered his attempts at getting strings but he has done some.
He is having a ball, although his back is aching but not enough to stop. The new shockie helped.
So he has decided to just have fun in the next leg and finish.

BMWguy

IBA Member
Ian is in, scored and happy enough. Lots of traffic and roadworks have hampered his attempts at getting strings but he has done some.
He is having a ball, although his back is aching but not enough to stop. The new shockie helped.
So he has decided to just have fun in the next leg and finish.
Great to hear. Was worried about him and Martin both.
No "roo's" in the US so they should be good!!

I wish Olaf was close to me - I'd give him my motorcycle to finish the rally with but I have no idea where he's at.

Last edited:

Rusjel

Premier Member
Great pics, thanks.

Good on you for having a big go Olaf, better luck next time.

The rest of yourest up and press on!

Olaf Moon

"And I think to myself...."
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Friends
I am now cooling my heels in Allen Tx (North Dallas). I missed the time cut for Leg 2 by 43 minutes. Life can be tough. It has taken all day for the adrenalin to run down. I feel most sad for all the many (hundreds) of people that have helped me get here, and deserved a better run from me. I did make it all the way to Key West tho, and that is quite a ride. But the highlight was cutting it with the taxi drivers in Manhattan, the centre of New York. I was delayed on Leg 2 by taking a four inch nail through the centre of a brand new Metzler Tourance rear tire! I have the nail. My patches worked, but the tire still needed to be pumped every 200 miles, and that took too much time. SO I am out. Ian and Martin are doing well. Martin looks well organised and very fit, so I wish him very well. Ian is the master thinker and will also get a good score I believe.

Tomorrow I ride the nine hours to Santa Fe NM, my favourite town in the whole USA. There are only 70,000 people there, but the margarita's are absolutely the best on the planet. Then I will ride the 1200 miles back to Minneapolis for the final Rally Dinner. No doubt out the front will be Troy Martin, Jim Owen, Eric Lipps and the other big dogs. Wish em well.
Olaf.

Scott Parish

Premier Member
Well done Olaf. To have recovered from the tire issue and miss check-in by 43 minutes is gut-wrenching. I was closely watching your spot tracker and hoping you would make it before the deadline. Enjoy the Margaritas - you certainly have earned them.

Philmor

Premier Member
Olaf
We can feel the disappointment with your run of rally bad luck.
We thought you would "nail" it this time - but not in the way it worked out.
It is great that you can make it back to Minneapolis for the finish and we will certainly catch up with you there.

BMWguy

IBA Member
Olf,
First - this is Mike. I was wearing the black U.S. Army Ranger shirt at the start banquet and had the absolute pleasure to meet and enjoy dinner with you, Ian and Martin.
I feel so disappointed for you. I wish I could have known where you were, as I would have gladly ridden to meet you and let you use my R1150RT to finish the rally.
I was cheering for you, Martin and Ian and so sorry to hear that you've had to drop out. That's a tough thing to have to accept.
Wish I could be at the Finish Banquet to speak with you guys, but that won't be possible. I do hope that this is not your last effort at the rally and if not, I look forward to meeting with you again.
It was a pleasure to meet you and hope we can chat again - maybe even compete in the future!!

Mike - Southern Illinois - USA

Brookester

Premier Member
I feel most sad for all the many (hundreds) of people that have helped me get here, and deserved a better run from me.
No need for you to feel sad for all of us...We are the ones amazed by your efforts and sad that you could not achieve your goals and that we were not closer to have helped out.
We are very proud of your efforts and wish you all the best for what now becomes some holiday and family time. Thanks for the ride :D:D:D

IBA-Tiger

Olaf,
The IBR can be a tough challenge, and even to get a Start is an accomplishment, and you've gone well beyond that.
"We" are proud of your run, and I for one applaud the minimal-risk approach on trying to get to the CP.
There's a lot worse ways to DNF the event.......

Biggles

Premier Member
Few of us armchair ralliers could match your endurance or ability to navigate the US of A. Congratulations on all you achieved.
I see elsewhere it's called "Unfinished Business". ;)

Olaf, so disappointed you can't continue we Aussies are very proud of you.
So now you can enjoy a margarita or 2 and celebrate your achievement.
this was my daily thought today ....
Daily Thought
Cut yourself some slack.
You don't have to master everything you try.
Sometimes just enjoying the experience is payment enough...

Tele

Premier Member
Rule Number 1 Olaf. In the long term, that's the only one to have.
I am pleased you are well enough and happy enough to write us a note and relish the thought of a margarita or three. Bitter luck and I can only begin to understand the disappointment you must feel. Extraordinary effort to get there and have a red hot go. My hat is off to you and the other IBR participants for just making such a super effort .