Aux Fuel Cell 3-3.5 gallon

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
It's generally not considered a good idea to put a fuel cell inside a top case. You need a vent/overflow line that would require a hole in the top case. If you're simply wanting one to mount on the rear rack instead of a top case, that's pretty normal. Boyd Welding has a nice 12x8x8 3 gal tank. You could probably get them to put baffles in one, even though they are not doing one off custom tanks right now.

It might be worth a try to contact Rhodes Race Cars and see if they will make you a custom tank. Jazz and RCI 3 gal cells tend to be tall cubes, more suited for a tail dragger application than top case or pillion seat area.

Other potential sources - RCI Custom form SP Sheet Metal has a build your own tank feature on their website. Handy with different shapes to choose and you input the dimensions and there is a button to calculate gallonage. Interesting for playing with ideas.

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I am not sure if you found a aux tank for your GSA top box but as Eric said above it is really not the best way t go about that. Back in 2009 I had a custom tank made to fit my Gold Wing top box. It seemed like a good idea at the time. I made vent and leak holes in the bottom of the top box and a hole to run the vent tube. I did what I could to make it safe, but I did not feel comfortable.

But every time I put gas in it, I was worried it was going to leak and be a big problem. Gas running down on top of the rear wheel probably would not be good.

After two months I took it out and sold it and had another aux tank made for the passenger seat.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Mount is rather simple. There are three pieces of aluminum bar stock welded into the tank to correspond with the mount holes for the top box. The bar stock for the front two is drilled and tapped so I can bolt the mount to the bottom of the tank and the top box to the top of the tank. For the rear mount there is a hole drilled all the way through the bar stock and I have a long bolt that passes through the tank and bolts to the mount.

With this setup I can run just the tank or just the top box. I can take pictures if you wish as the tank and top box are currently off the bike as I prep it for the 2023 Iron Butt Rally

Owsley

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Owsley, If you still have the tank can you send me a pic please?
Thanks
Sal
Hi Sal, wrote to you on FB messenger first. The tank I had in mind measured out at 4.25 gallons. I do have another round shape/barrel shape that is closer to what you are looking for, I would have to check on the capacity, I will look to see if I still have pics, or take them again. PM me your remail address please. Paul