Auxiliary fuel add on

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
FWIW I ran the IBR last year 2 up on a Wing without Aux fuel it wasn't my original plan, but in the end it came down to biological needs. The extra range didn't fit with what my pilon's biological range so in most cases a bio break was the determining factor for a stop. Now I'm not one of the big dogs doing the Big Miles but the lack of aux fuel did not affect my point total. There where a couple times it would have been comforting to have a little more and maybe a time or two I stopped for fuel just to make sure. But in the end it was other constraints that drove my Rally not fuel.
Something to consider, if you have the aux tank and your pillion needs a bio break you can stop anywhere she is comfortable with rather than finding a gas station.

Something to consider should you do another IBR

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Something to consider, if you have the aux tank and your pillion needs a bio break you can stop anywhere she is comfortable with rather than finding a gas station.

Wait am I the only one with an aux tank for my bio needs, aka a self contained mobile dehydration system?

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher

True but stops is stops and at least I was accomplishing something at the same time. It wasn't the starting plan I have two unused tanks in my garage to show for it. just gota decide which to use and where to put it.

Rush

I am planning on doing 50 CC and BBG 3months from now. For me to decrease the amount of wasted time for refueling, I bought a 2 gallon fuel container (epa approved). Am I allowed to have it? Thanks for the input.
I am in the process of adding an auxilary 5 gal fule take to my 15 ultra limited. Last summer was doing the tour of honor. Figured I spent one whole day standing in front of gas pumps. This was time taken away from getting photos for the tour of honor. With the higher speed limits out west, I was really burning my gas. Plus, I was in areas off main roads and almost ran out of gas three times, once late at night in upper Michigan. My wife doesn't ride so I have the space.
People kept saying, don't hurry, stop and smell the roses. I have no interest in the midwest where you go hundreds of miles through cornfields. I've ridden the east coast for 35 years and know most of the routes. Now I hurry to get when I want to go, and then slow down.
Doing three IBRs in next month. Going southern Alabama and the Florida panhandle. Some of the most boring places to ride.
Enjoy the ride. Stop and see the sites, not the cities.
Robert

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Doing three IBRs in next month
Robert
Just to be clear, the IBR stands for the Iron Butt Rally, a competitive rally held in odd numbered years. About 100 riders are selected out of a thousand entries.

What you are doing are Iron Butt Association certificates rides, a very different animal. :)

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Russ Black

Premier Member
I have two unused tanks in my garage to show for it. just gota decide which to use and where to put it.
Based on your signature block, your riding a GL-1800 and it is easy to cut and bolt together a mount that will attach to the Pillion hand holds. I used the photo of the bracket that Greg Rice has on his webpage to make mine. It is very easy to remove and reinstall as needed. I, however, did not drill into the tank as he did. I'm not that brave. Greg's way you must have a shut-off valve between the Aux tank and the main tank since the Aux tank is higher than the vent in the main tank. With the valve open, gravity will cause the fuel to flow from the Aux tank into the main tank and out it's vent. You must keep the valve shut until you have consumed more fuel than the Aux tank holds. Depending on the size of your Aux tank, you will need to wait until your fuel gauge indicates 1/4 or possibly 1/8 of a tank. Only then can you open the valve between the two tanks. The fuel in the Aux tank now fills the main tank. It is quite satifying to see your fuel gauge moving toward full as your driving down the road. You must shut the valve to refuel.

I plumbed the Aux tank in via the vent of the main tank. Then I plumbed the now removed vent hose onto the Aux tanks vent. This puts the fuel systems vent above both tanks and back into the bikes emission system. Fuel in the main tank will be replaced from the Aux tank, ounce for ounce, as it is consumed. Your fuel gauge will indicate "Full" until you have exhausted the fuel in the Aux tank. Then it will work as usual. Even though plumbing it my way does not require a valve between the tanks, I highly urge you to install one for safety reasons and the ability to remove the Aux tank without it having to be empty. If you don't have a valve or decide not to close it, you must fill the main tank first, put it's cap on and then fill the Aux tank. That seems easier to me than remembering to shut and open valves.

The ultimate aux tank was on the winning Hayabusa. The location for mass centralization was brilliant even Eric Buell would approve, Please understand how adversely the wrong location of a few gallons of gas can affect your bikes rideability and response,

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The ultimate aux tank was on the winning Hayabusa. The location for mass centralization was brilliant even Eric Buell would approve, Please understand how adversely the wrong location of a few gallons of gas can affect your bikes rideability and response,
On a full size bike, it's almost insignificant. Please consider posting an introduction post since this is your first post here and you've apparently been a forum member for well over 2 years. As for the IBR winner, Mike Brooke won, not the Hayabusa. He set his bike up very well for his tastes and needs, but it was hardly the be-all, end-all solution. Just another well done flat bed design. Below is Mike's bike, (pic link is from the Hayabusa.org forum and Mike's LD Busa thread.

While I also prefer flatbed designs, there are many, many options. People have set up aux fuel in all manner of methods from massive expanded main tanks to tail dragger set ups and all nature of sizes, shapes and volumes.

m a u r a

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
For carrying gas on a certificate ride:
It is permitted, as long as you follow the 350 mile rule.
At the start of your ride, fill the gas can and get a separate receipt. If you use the gas, then you can include that receipt with an explanation. If you do not use it, no worries.

m a u r a

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Although there are locations and configurations that could be a problem, passenger area is always a safe bet. It is designed for far more weight.

I once had an ST1100 with a taildragger. 3 gallons behind the rear wheel. It was imperceptible. Loved it. Currently ST1300 with passenger seat 3 gallons. Not a flatbed, more a breadbox. No problem.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
For carrying gas on a certificate ride:
At the start of your ride, fill the gas can and get a separate receipt. If you use the gas, then you can include that receipt with an explanation. If you do not use it, no worries.
I think that's slightly backwards.

Normally, we use the starting receipt to verify time and location - we don't really look at how much you put in the tank for this receipt but it makes life a lot easier for us it you start with a full tank (and full extra fuel container).

But if you use the gas can during the ride, just be sure to fill it up the next time you gas up the bike. That receipt will reflect the total gas you used since you started. You can note how much you put in the bike and how much you put in the can if you wish, but it is the total amount since last fill up that is the documentation we're looking for.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

m a u r a

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I think that's slightly backwards.

Normally, we use the starting receipt to verify time and location - we don't really look at how much you put in the tank for this receipt but it makes life a lot easier for us it you start with a full tank (and full extra fuel container).

But if you use the gas can during the ride, just be sure to fill it up the next time you gas up the bike. That receipt will reflect the total gas you used since you started. You can note how much you put in the bike and how much you put in the can if you wish, but it is the total amount since last fill up that is the documentation we're looking for.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association
Thanks IRA! Better plan. My point was to get a receipt for it so it could be included in the receipts for the ride.

I hope this is not considered a thread jack, but I feel it is pertinent to the topic. For those that use pumps on their Aux fuel Cell what pump is preferred.

I know that alot use the vent method and gravity feed is preferred for simplicity, but I'm considering moving to a pump for various reasons.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I hope this is not considered a thread jack, but I feel it is pertinent to the topic. For those that use pumps on their Aux fuel Cell what pump is preferred.

I know that a lot use the vent method and gravity feed is preferred for simplicity, but I'm considering moving to a pump for various reasons.
A low pressure one that you can get at a chain auto parts store, so you can easily replace it on the road. You don't want one for EFI, it will be too high of a pressure with a transfer rate that is faster than necessary.

A low pressure one that you can get at a chain auto parts store, so you can easily replace it on the road. You don't want one for EFI, it will be too high of a pressure with a transfer rate that is faster than necessary.
I was thinking just to transfer from aux tank to main tank after running the main tank down.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
I was thinking just to transfer from aux tank to main tank after running the main tank down.
Same answer applies. Eric gave you good info, and is well-versed on the subject.

If you want a pump, buy a low pressure fuel pump like what you can get at any chain of auto parts store.