Bar-be-Quest Guidance

JAORE

Premier Member
I have a route planned where stop 1 is some 90 miles from home. That is where the odometer and clock will begin. Stops 2 and 3 are each over 200 miles apart. Stop 4 is near home. That is well over 200 miles from stop 3, but, as noted above, some 90 miles from stop 1.

The guidelines say each stop must be 200 miles apart. I take that to mean the miles ridden between stops must be 200 miles, not that (in my case) two non-consecutive stops must be over 200 miles apart.

I like BBQ, but I'd hate to plot and ride this one to find out I've screwed the pooch with a misinterpretation.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Step back a bit. Why do we have that rule? Because we want you to ride at least 200 miles between stops. Theoretically, you could hit stop 1, ride 200 miles, hit stop 2, and then ride 200 miles back to eat at another joint across the street from stop 1.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

JAORE

Premier Member
My former (working) life involved writing, reading and implementing Federal regulations (ugh). So I tend to have very strict (anal) reading habits..... A hard one to break.

Thanks. I should be good to go (and chow down).

Anyone have advice about the number of Tums tablets to pack?

Tcmcnomad

NoMaD
Premier Member
Were can i find a listing of these obscure rides like this? As for as last i read it the only one like this i saw on the big list was the one for ice cream one.
Edit: well i dont know what was going on w my eye sight, I see it now right there at the end of the list. But I would definitely like to amass some form of list of any other fun and funky ones not on the big list.

Last edited:

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Were can i find a listing of these obscure rides like this? As for as last i read it the only one like this i saw on the big list was the one for ice cream one.
Edit: well i dont know what was going on w my eye sight, I see it now right there at the end of the list. But I would definitely like to amass some form of list of any other fun and funky ones not on the big list.
https://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/index.html

They are all on the big list. Ya just gotta read through it.

Tcmcnomad

NoMaD
Premier Member
https://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/index.html

They are all on the big list. Ya just gotta read through it.
There are several theme rides that are not on there that I have heard of. Muffler man 1000, and Sinclair SS are the 2 I've been looking e lately. But I did find a link to them on ride master.
But that said I'm sure there are thousands of fun little themed rides that have been came up w over the years. Someone mentioned a donut trail ride, I'm excited to add that to my list (what can I say a fat boy loves food), for the fall equinox I rode to the 2 towns in Georgia named summerville (one at the last sunset if summer, the other at the last sunrise), then finished on the fall line freeway. Summer to fall . For winter solstice I'm plotting how many towns I can DBR in that have winter in their name, etc. Rides like that are going to end up on the big list but I think it would be fun to have a listing of those types of rides for others to recreate.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
There are some rides that are not IBA cert rides but just organized rides which are certified by the IBA as an organized, ie not self guided/solo rides which, as they very nature of them, would not be on the big list. Those are usually found on the Jonas Ride Master.

JAVGuzzi

Premier Member
At least "200 miles between stops" kinda confused me until I read the ride rules and realized the rule was "At least 200 miles between BBQ stops".