BaseCamp adding maps

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
Hi Guys,

I have had to start from scratch on my Windows 10 Pro PC and find on my BaseCamp it only has Global Maps.

I have a Lifetime map product on my Zumo595LM and if I attach my Zumo to the PC I can see the current City Navigator Europe NTU 2023.1, in fact, two copies on my Zumo.

I used Garmin Express to update the software and asked it to download the maps to my PC but it did not. So unless I plug my Zumo in I do not have detailed maps in BaseCamp to plan routes.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

to be fair Dave I'm having exactly the same problem only I've achieved it on one laptop went to another on the same day with everything the same and it failed repeatedly. In fact I've given up for now and will attempt again later reading up it would seem that it needs a good internet connection to achieve this why i don't know but that's what it said i can only think wi fi hiccupped at some point . but that is all i can see that might effect it

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Not recalling its name at the moment, but there is a snazzy utility created to allow you to copy the entire mapset on to any storage device large enough and transfer it to another device. Of course the maps will only work on the devices to which they are unlocked, but it makes it ever so easy to have all your maps available on all your Basecamp devices...

You can also create a thumb drive with a Basecamp install that will work on any Windows PC (think: Hotel business center) in a pinch.

When I get back to my laptop I will fire it up and take a look at the name of that utility, if someone does not chime in before then.............

EddyC

IBA Member
Not recalling its name at the moment, but there is a snazzy utility created to allow you to copy the entire mapset on to any storage device large enough and transfer it to another device. Of course the maps will only work on the devices to which they are unlocked, but it makes it ever so easy to have all your maps available on all your Basecamp devices...

You can also create a thumb drive with a Basecamp install that will work on any Windows PC (think: Hotel business center) in a pinch.

When I get back to my laptop I will fire it up and take a look at the name of that utility, if someone does not chime in before then.............
I believe you are refering to Javawa Gmtk - one can backup/restore entire maps, unlock codes, etc.. that way.
One might take a look at https://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html for details (it's entirely free also...)
Good luck,
Ed.

Last edited:

bmbob

IBA Member
Hi Dave
Glad you got it sorted, I sometimes have problems up dating Garmin express, I connect the 595 to my laptop and it says 'not connected', course it's bloody connected i've just plugged it in!!
I switch the laptop off have a coffee then try again, and bingo it works.
Regards Bob

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
Hi Dave
Glad you got it sorted, I sometimes have problems up dating Garmin express, I connect the 595 to my laptop and it says 'not connected', course it's bloody connected i've just plugged it in!!
I switch the laptop off have a coffee then try again, and bingo it works.
Regards Bob
I have the same problem with my 396 all the time. I threaten to call Tech Support, and that usually does the trick.

Jim Craig

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I had a similar issue with installing maps on a new PC. I called Garmin support on a Friday. I got in to support immediately and they stayed with me until the issue was resolved. Garmin's tech support has always taken good care of me.

dave sorted mine as well. i now i'm firmly in belief that any fluctuations in the wi fi signal and it wont do it.. tried a good few times via wi fi and failed plugged it into the box of tricks that wi fi emits from and guess what first time and it worked.