Basecamp: Migrating to a new PC

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Anyone know how to properly migrate unlocked maps to a new PC?

I got a new laptop, and after installing Baecamp found I have no maps. CN North America is only available while my Zumo is plugged in to USB.

I tried to manage maps using Garmin Express, but it says my devices (Zumo XT and Zumo 396 LMT-S) have no unlocked maps.

I tried copying the CN NA map files over to the new laptop, but it said the map is locked. I checked the unlock code on my old laptop and tried to enter that on the new laptop. Now it says the map is unverified.

I tried exporting the unlock code from Basecamp on the old PC and importing it into the new PC but that does nothing.

Frustrating.

Anyone know the secret incantation to make maps work on a new PC? After various other recent problems I'm on the verge of $hitcanning everything Garmin and switching to Google Maps and my phone.

Russ Black

Premier Member
I have done it between two macs and even from my mac to a PC, but that was after having installed them to the first computer as @rneal55555 suggests. They are rather large files in the 3GB neighborhood. Here is a google search to find the correct steps for yousteps.

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
If you update the maps on a device it should give you the option. To add them to the pc.
I agree it should, but when I connect the devices to the new PC Garmin Express says "No unlocked maps on the device." This was the first thing I tried, to no avail.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
My limited understanding of BC is that it never had maps of it's own. You must always have your GPS connected to access the maps on your GPS. Moving to a new PC, you would be required to connect your device, fire up Garmin Express, check for updates and download the updates and new maps to BOTH your PC and GPS. Only after you have done this, will you have a map set on your PC that will function with BC. If you download the maps to your PC and GPS, or even just your PC, you can use BC w/o the GPS plugged in and recognized.

Remember, BC is not a routing program. It's a GPS simulator. If your GPS simulator has no maps, it's can't function.

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
So you tried to update the device maps in Garmin express?
Yes. I suspect the problem might be that both of my GPS devices were already updated when I connected them to the new PC. I checked for updates in Express on the new PC but it just says that both of my devices are up to date. Perhaps I need to wait until another update is available and then I'll be back in business. Really irritating.

Russ Black

Premier Member
Try this... Open Garmin Express and select one of your devices (I did this without having any devices connected). GE told me mine was up to date. Click on "Map Details". It displays a new screen with the maps info. Click on "Options" which brings up a new screen giving you the options of "Reinstall Map" to the GPS itself or "Install to Computer". "Install to Computer brings up the "Terms and Conditions" which brings up "Notes Before We Begin". I didn't go passed that but it looks to be working at least on my system.

Russ Black

Premier Member
@EricV is correct. Basecamp does not come with any maps except for the "Global Map" who's only purpose it to display sometime on the screen so you know the program is running/working. The world is broken up into several different maps and for simplicity sake it allows you to access and display the maps loaded onto the GPS for what ever part of the world and type use you have. Auto, Boating, etc. Having the Map installed on your computer is more convenent, but not required.

Last edited:

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Try this... Open Garmin Express and select one of your devices (I did this without having any devices connected). GE told me mine was up to date. Click on "Map Details". It displays a new screen with the maps info. Click on "Options" which brings up a new screen giving you the options of "Reinstall Map" to the GPS itself or "Install to Computer"
Bingo! This was the solution. I can't believe I didn't find this because now that you mention it I remember doing this before.

Thank you! I owe you a beverage.

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Good to know I'm thinking about a new laptop myself. This one had a hiccup in 21 that I got though not sure I want to chance it again.