BBG 1500 ideas

Punched in your corners and came up with a drive time of 25hrs. Would recommend moving the starting point to Rockford and reducing the drive time to 23hrs so you have time for stops.

-Mark

pmw121

Premier Member
Thanks all for the feedback, I see that this routing is a bit over and will adjust. I did an SS1K all on freeways, Chicago to CO Springs in something like 16 hours so that's what I'm using as a gauge here.

If I skip Duluth and go direct it's just under 23hr.

LeMaitre, I like your loop as well, just under 23hr and less big cities to navigate.

Jesse

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I'll echo the others and recommend sticking to faster highways at least for your first BBG. It can be difficult to finish in time and quickly shift to impossible if you cannot keep your bike moving in a brisk manner. Over the course of 23 hours you have to maintain an average of 65.21 mph -which gives you an hour tops for stops and delays. Even the time spent exiting and reentering ramps shaves that average. Smaller roads with small towns, vacationers, traffic lights, farm equipment, animals... too many opportunities for delays on a ride like this and better avoided if possible. Maintain highway speed limits and keep your stops fast and you'll be successful if you can stay awake. Good luck!

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Thanks all for the feedback, I see that this routing is a bit over and will adjust. I did an SS1K all on freeways, Chicago to CO Springs in something like 16 hours so that's what I'm using as a gauge here.
Staying on freeways for nearly 100% of the ride should get you done in 22 - 23 hours. You *could* use your close-in-town start point, I'm just not sure I'd try to get back in - unless you really know traffic, construction zones, and the like.

I did a 48 state ride this time last year...to me, it seemed like many of the Interstates I picked on my route in your state were construction zones. They were pretty hard-assed about speed too (as they should be...)

Scout your route (whichever one you pick) on line and see if there's construction (overnight zones can be the worst) along your route; adjust as appropriate.

Luck to ya!

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Much of this ride was accomplished in Nevada, Idaho, and Montana. Ended in North Dakota. About 70% Interstate. "Maximum Speed" notwithstanding, I kept the cruise control locked on the speed limit the entire way.

14897.jpeg

This was my route.

Screenshot_20190724-210334_Maps.jpg

Much of this ride was accomplished in Nevada, Idaho, and Montana. Ended in North Dakota. About 70% Interstate. "Maximum Speed" notwithstanding, I kept the cruise control locked on the speed limit the entire way.

View attachment 4235

This was my route.

View attachment 4236
Don't you love how a tunnel can mess with a GPS. ;) Only other option is to get that speed is to hitch a ride on a supersonic jet or rocket.

-Mark

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Y'all are pretty funny... :p

The 1,278 mph figure was caused by the fact that a GPS device never really knows how fast you are going at any moment and it never really knows are at that very moment.... It only knows where you were the last time it calculated your position and where you were the time before that... By doing a simple TSD calculation, it figures out how fast you needed to be traveling to cover the distance between those two points in the amount of time between them. For the x7x series of Garmin GPS devices, that "refresh rate" is 1Hz, or once every second.

If the GPS is sure you are in one place then suddenly, one second later, it gets another fix at a place 0.34 miles away from where it was sure you were one second ago then the only logical answer is that you were traveling 1,278 mph to get there that quickly...

I never clear that value because it is so much fun to have it there... The 376c this one replaced had a Maximum Speed of over 1,600 mph on it.... :eek: (This picture was taken at the end of the ITU Big Sky Rally)

maxspeed(2).jpg

Weird, clicked on the link several times and it kept opening Outlook, trying to send an email! :)
What I found is that windows 10 is assuming it is the center of the universe again. If I copy the link to a browser it will open the map. If I click on it Windows 10 assumes it is an e-mail address.

-Mark

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
What I found is that windows 10 is assuming it is the center of the universe again. If I copy the link to a browser it will open the map. If I click on it Windows 10 assumes it is an e-mail address.

-Mark
As does my Android tablet, it's own little universe itself. :p

-Mark
I was seeing the same thing, though when I hovered over the link, I could see the "mailto:" prefix. The first few times I copied it to the browser it kept opening Outlook but then started working correctly. Weird, but it's been one of those days...

I have always embraced the logic of a route that never takes me too far from home, in case there is a problem.

But that’s not how I’m wired. I enjoy a race to the turnaround, then a hard push to get home to a cold beer. When I did my BBG from north Georgia to Terrell Texas and back (in temps hovering around 100F), heading to the turn was fine. Heading back, time started to get greasy. Ended up being over 1,600 miles that day. Big assist from Gixxer Jasen at the turnaround. Ride safe guys.