BBG Plan for October 9-10 2021

Dave28117

Premier Member
I'm leaving Saturday at 10 AM heading north on 77 from Mooresville NC. I'm heading up 77 to Cambridge OH, then west on 70 to Indianapolis. From there south on 65 to Birmingham and then head back east through Atlanta and back to the Charlotte area. leaving at 10 AM will put me going through ATL at about 6 AM on Sunday so as to avoid traffic. If all goes as planned, of course. :)

I've done several SS1k's. my goal with this is to at least make 1250 miles in 24. I feel good about making the 1500 though. I'm doing it on my 94 Kawasaki Concours 1000. I expect to get about 225 to 250 miles on a tank of gas. that's more mileage than my bladder allows. This is a prep ride for a planned CC50 I'm doing in the spring.

Weather forecast shows I may have a good weather window. Subject to the whims of weather geeks though, so I'll be prepared regardless.

I'm using my SPOT 4 for the first time to actually track a long distance trip. hopefully this link would allow anyone to view the track and follow along.

https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/25d1-10ba715b-b40b/view?homeActive=1&showAll=1

nudihjn

Premier Member
Best of luck Dave! Following your ride on Spotwalla, looks like everything went as you planned! Through Atlanta in the early AM!

Last edited:

Dave28117

Premier Member
Now that I've had a day or 2 to recover and get back to "normal", I thought I'd post an update. I completed my ride in 23 hours. pretty much to the minute. I started at 10:04 on Saturday morning and arrived back home at 9:04 on Sunday. I started out with cloudy skies as the rain from the night before we just moving off to the east. I managed to catch a bit of the tail end of the rain when I rode through VA and southern WV on my way up I77. Fortunately, my C10 offers really good weather protection, so I didn't stop to put rain gear on. I knew it would be short since I had checked weather maps prior to my launch.

I made very good time and was about 1/2 hour ahead of schedule by the time I reached Cambridge OH at my second stop. I had made my first gas stop in WV just below Charleston, but forgot to get a receipt. it was my first attempt at a quick gas/go stop and I just forgot some of the steps.

Once heading west across I70 I hit another small spot of rain. then came Columbus where I took a wrong turn due to construction/changes in the map. quick adjustment and I was back on my way toward Dayton OH. I stopped in Spiceland IN just prior to Indianapolis for another fuel stop. I lost my riding glasses there.

Onward to Indy, and yet another wrong turn due to construction. No worries. 15 minutes of looping around and I was back on track. Heading south on 65, my next stop was in Memphis IN just prior to reaching Lewisville. I stopped a little short on my mileage this time to better time out a fuel stop in Birmingham later. This tank was only 175 miles. That carried me through to Goodlettsville TN for my next stop just prior to Nashville.

At this point in my ride, I was up about an hour on my overall time. I decided to take the next leg easy to see how well my fuel mileage improved when not pushing the quad carbs so far into the main jets. I did better, getting more than 225 miles before arriving at Leeds AL right by Barber Motorsports Park.

next up was my run through Atlanta. As I had planned, doing it in the wee hours of the morning eliminated most of the traffic problems. On through to Jefferson GA heading up I85 for my next fuel stop. At this point I was 1 hour ahead of my 24 hour deadline. I had only 211 miles to home, so I dialed back the throttle a bit on this leg to make it all the way in.

my overall odometer reading was 1566 miles. Google maps put the ride at 1511 when I measured it prior to my ride. I'll have to plug in the actual address stops and see if it's different, but either way, it was a mission accomplished.

I learned a few things from the ride. first, I did the initial 1000 miles in 14 and 3/4 hours. I was at 1200 miles in 18 hours. Those things gave me confidence that when I attempt my CC50 ride next spring I have a good chance to be successful on that one too. My bike needs a bit of TLC at this point prior to next spring. my butt, hips and knees were mush by the time I finished the ride. gotta figure out some exercises along the say to help with that. Time out of the seat at each stop did help. when I got back on, my butt was feeling better. I used seat beads. I'll stick with them.

Last edited:

nudihjn

Premier Member
I am planning to do the Ride Around SC on Saturday. It is another 1000 but has an additional requirement to hit certain towns in sequence. Let me know if you are game for someone to ride with on your CC50 next year.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
@Dave28117 - Good job on the follow up report. You have a bit of double posting in that post you could edit out, btw.

Do you have hwy pegs on the Connie? Hips and knees were helped greatly, for me, by alternating leg position at least every hour, if not every 30 minutes or just when I thought about it. One leg out on the hwy peg, later the other, sometimes both for a while, back to the std pegs, etc. Helps with blood circulation to the whole leg and butt as well. The only sure solution for the butt is a better seat. There is what appears like it may be a RDL for the C10 on ebay right now, LINK $200 obo as well as a couple of Corbins and some stockers. Might be worth a chance on the one I linked to for that price. Read all of the ad.

Dave28117

Premier Member
thanks for the heads up. not sure how that section got duplicated. hmmmm.....

I had the highway pegs on another C10 I owned. I didn't really get that much out of them, but had not ridden to this magnitude. I'd consider installing them again on this one, but there's a goldwing in my future, so will likely focus more on what that bike will be.

I'm not a fan of the aftermarket seats. I've not found any that I truly like, nor that my wife likes, as she's my passenger more often than not. I use seat beads on the current bike and have used them in the past on other bikes as well. again though, with the GW on the horizon, I'm probably going to make any adjustments at this point.

I appreciate the input though!!!

FLHXHS

Premier Member
Thanks for the ride report. I've heard the US / CA border will open in November. Might be getting to my BBG this Solstice...

Also, it might be time to put the motorcycle away for 2021...

Now that I've had a day or 2 to recover and get back to "normal", I thought I'd post an update. I completed my ride in 23 hours. pretty much to the minute. I started at 10:04 on Saturday morning and arrived back home at 9:04 on Sunday. I started out with cloudy skies as the rain from the night before we just moving off to the east. I managed to catch a bit of the tail end of the rain when I rode through VA and southern WV on my way up I77. Fortunately, my C10 offers really good weather protection, so I didn't stop to put rain gear on. I knew it would be short since I had checked weather maps prior to my launch.

I made very good time and was about 1/2 hour ahead of schedule by the time I reached Cambridge OH at my second stop. I had made my first gas stop in WV just below Charleston, but forgot to get a receipt. it was my first attempt at a quick gas/go stop and I just forgot some of the steps.

Once heading west across I70 I hit another small spot of rain. then came Columbus where I took a wrong turn due to construction/changes in the map. quick adjustment and I was back on my way toward Dayton OH. I stopped in Spiceland IN just prior to Indianapolis for another fuel stop. I lost my riding glasses there.

Onward to Indy, and yet another wrong turn due to construction. No worries. 15 minutes of looping around and I was back on track. Heading south on 65, my next stop was in Memphis IN just prior to reaching Lewisville. I stopped a little short on my mileage this time to better time out a fuel stop in Birmingham later. This tank was only 175 miles. That carried me through to Goodlettsville TN for my next stop just prior to Nashville.

At this point in my ride, I was up about an hour on my overall time. I decided to take the next leg easy to see how well my fuel mileage improved when not pushing the quad carbs so far into the main jets. I did better, getting more than 225 miles before arriving at Leeds AL right by Barber Motorsports Park.

next up was my run through Atlanta. As I had planned, doing it in the wee hours of the morning eliminated most of the traffic problems. On through to Jefferson GA heading up I85 for my next fuel stop. At this point I was 1 hour ahead of my 24 hour deadline. I had only 211 miles to home, so I dialed back the throttle a bit on this leg to make it all the way in.

my overall odometer reading was 1566 miles. Google maps put the ride at 1511 when I measured it prior to my ride. I'll have to plug in the actual address stops and see if it's different, but either way, it was a mission accomplished.

I learned a few things from the ride. first, I did the initial 1000 miles in 14 and 3/4 hours. I was at 1200 miles in 18 hours. Those things gave me confidence that when I attempt my CC50 ride next spring I have a good chance to be successful on that one too. My bike needs a bit of TLC at this point prior to next spring. my butt, hips and knees were mush by the time I finished the ride. gotta figure out some exercises along the say to help with that. Time out of the seat at each stop did help. when I got back on, my butt was feeling better. I used seat beads. I'll stick with them.
Nice work! When I hit the 1000 mile mark on my BBG last week, it was exactly 14h40 mins - pretty much identical times as yours.

Dave28117

Premier Member
Dave after your successful BBG ride do you plan on attempting another BBG in the future?
I'm planning to do a CC50 sometime in the spring. not sure of date yet. I actually plan to ask advice for others who have done it about an appropriate date to do it to get some consistent weather across the ride.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I'm planning to do a CC50 sometime in the spring. not sure of date yet. I actually plan to ask advice for others who have done it about an appropriate date to do it to get some consistent weather across the ride.
A lot will depend on your planned start location. Spring time 50cc from Jax-SD could be a very different ride vs NY-SF

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Dave, where do you plan to start the 50CC? There si a lot of good information out there on the web for the 50CC especially the Jacksonville / San Diego start / end.

The Motorcycle Tourer Forum used do run the 50CC / 100CCC every other year and they have some good information on their website under past rides. https://www.mctourer.com/

I think I have a couple ride reports also on my website. I also have a good weather webpage for the 50CC JAX / SDO.

http://www.gregrice.com/50CC_100CCC/50CC_100CCC_weather.htm