BBG Witness Documentation and Specific Requirements

Fun Bobby

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I'm prepping for my first BBG this weekend (6-7 October) and want to ensure I have the witness documentation requirement sorted. I read the version 2.0 BBG Theme Rides webpage (http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/bbgold/) and also the Theme Rides documentation page (http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/documentation/).

One sentence states a BBG requires two witnesses, "Some rides, notably “Gold” or “Insanity” level rides, require the statement be signed by two witnesses." Other than the two witness requirement, it doesn't state if there is a requirement for "who" the witness is for the starting and ending verification. In my case, I intend to use the hotel clerks the night before I depart. Is that acceptable or do I need to seek out a first responder?

The following sentence states, "Gold-level and Insanity rides have more specific requirements, as stated above, and some rides have even more specific requirements that are detailed in the rules on the ride pages." The rules page discusses dated business receipts and obviously the 1500 miles in less than 24 hours. Are there any other "specific" rules that I should be aware of for a BBG?

Cheers,

Rob, 2013 K1600GT
Navarre, FL
IBA 15661

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I did both - a single first responder at the start, but since my BBG was in conjunction with a different ride (50CC), I got two witnesses at the end of the ride - zero issues.

Be as safe as you can - if you're using the hotel clerks, get two of 'em to sign, you should have no worries.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I'm prepping for my first BBG this weekend (6-7 October) and want to ensure I have the witness documentation requirement sorted. I read the version 2.0 BBG Theme Rides webpage (http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/bbgold/) and also the Theme Rides documentation page (http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/documentation/).

One sentence states a BBG requires two witnesses, "Some rides, notably “Gold” or “Insanity” level rides, require the statement be signed by two witnesses." Other than the two witness requirement, it doesn't state if there is a requirement for "who" the witness is for the starting and ending verification. In my case, I intend to use the hotel clerks the night before I depart. Is that acceptable or do I need to seek out a first responder?

The following sentence states, "Gold-level and Insanity rides have more specific requirements, as stated above, and some rides have even more specific requirements that are detailed in the rules on the ride pages." The rules page discusses dated business receipts and obviously the 1500 miles in less than 24 hours. Are there any other "specific" rules that I should be aware of for a BBG?

Cheers,

Rob, 2013 K1600GT
Navarre, FL
IBA 15661
The ride requires two witnesses. We no longer require badged witnesses (LEOs, firefighters, etc.), just anyone who is willing to respond to a contact from us if needed. There are no other special requirements.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The ride requires two witnesses. We no longer require badged witnesses (LEOs, firefighters, etc.), just anyone who is willing to respond to a contact from us if needed. There are no other special requirements.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association
Cool, I missed that change!

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Ira,
Since Rob is a premier member - does he still need a witness?
Or that part doesn't apply to GOLD rides?
Just curious...
Yes, he can use the Premier method instead of witnesses.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

WY88

Premier Member
I need to get up to speed on the Premier method, not asking for guidance, just saying. Witnesses such as gas station, hotel clerks.... such high turn over I would freak out if I was denied after all the ride, planning, work, and expense just because some "kid" no longer worked there! I have considered using listed witness members, just have not yet done so. Always afraid of making that plan with them, then something happens on the ride and I'm not there to meet them... so many variables. But, I sure do like this Association, I have 2 separate rides pending in the system, mailed my latest SS1K/BB1500 off today, mailed off my latest SS1K last week, the day after my ride. Dang winter, getting in my way! Something tells me, this winter is gonna feel really really long!

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I need to get up to speed on the Premier method, not asking for guidance, just saying. Witnesses such as gas station, hotel clerks.... such high turn over I would freak out if I was denied after all the ride, planning, work, and expense just because some "kid" no longer worked there! I have considered using listed witness members, just have not yet done so. Always afraid of making that plan with them, then something happens on the ride and I'm not there to meet them... so many variables. But, I sure do like this Association, I have 2 separate rides pending in the system, mailed my latest SS1K/BB1500 off today, mailed off my latest SS1K last week, the day after my ride. Dang winter, getting in my way! Something tells me, this winter is gonna feel really really long!
The Premier method, currently available only to Premier members, is outlined in the Premier newsletter of January 23, 2017.

FYI, we normally only contact your witnesses if there is some problem with your documentation. So you can avoid the problem of a witness not responding to a letter from us by being sure that your documentation is in good order.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Asssociation

Fun Bobby

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The K16GT was ready, I was ready, hotel reservations booked, and route set. Unfortunately I couldn't will Hurricane Nate to steer west away from the Gulf Coast. I cancelled the BBG attempt Thursday. It was more important to stay home with the family to prep for Nate's arrival. My first BBG attempt will have to wait for another day.

Rob, K16GT
Navarre, FL
IBA 15661