BBG2500K - kwaka's first

kwaka

Premier Member
Bun Burner GOLD (BBG) – 24/25 Sep 2010. All times given are in CST.

PROLOGUE
Those three words, Bun Burner GOLD have an alluring ring to them. Is it the word ‘gold’ or the riding 2,500kms in 24hrs part? I suspect both.
This is a ride I’ve wanted to do since Oct ‘08 but, in my mind, this is a ride that can only be attempted with an auxiliary fuel tank as without one, too much down time would need to be made up and hence pressure put on the time/distance equation. So, after dreaming about this for what seemed like an eternity, an auxiliary tank was fitted onto Kwakatoa in Aug 2010. A plan had been formulated around two rides north/south rides with dates set for early/mid October 2010. Due to new work commitments these rides are now firmly on the back burner.

Disappointment would turn into a glimmer of hope as a window of opportunity presented itself to tackle that elusive BBG. The date was set, Friday the 24th September 2010, departure approx 21:00hrs. The route would be Broken Hill, NSW to Border Village on the SA/WA border turn around and head back to Broken Hill. The aim was Yunta, SA making a total of approx 2,525kms and if time allowed Manna Hill, SA would be the end points of the BBG. The route.

Excitement grew and to keep things on an even keel I decided not to do anything too much out of the ordinary even though this would be an extraordinary ride. This ride is virtually a time trial and a test of efficiency, there’d be no overnight stays so I wouldn’t need much in the way of extras. To take some pressure off, I wouldn’t take my Nikon D90 and take pics as I normally do, the iPhone camera would have to suffice if I take any. Photo taking was firmly off the agenda. No need for toiletries either as the plan was for a straight through, door to door run. Sleep if required would be at the famous “Ironbutt Motels”.

OUT LEG
Friday the 24th arrived as a bright, sunny, beautiful spring day, off to work as usual with time off from noon onwards. Home and checks of my usual forums and the weather for the next day or so for my fuel stop cum checkpoints. Weather forecast was little fresh of an evening but lovely during the day, not bad at all so with lunch over I hit the sack for some shut eye around 14:15hrs.
I aroused by myself at 17:45 from a very fitful slumber (I had dreamed of riding to the Border Village!), proceeded with the making of the evenings meal and then a quick shower before getting myself and the bike ready. I headed to the servo around 20.30ish and had my start docket time stamped at 21.09! What? Oh wait, that’s right their clocks are set to EST time! On the way out I bumped into Riley, son of a mate of mine and he wanted to know what I was up too? “I’m on a timed run lad, started now, talk later!” as I bolted out. Tripmeters and GPS zeroed but forgot to take a pic too bad. I’m outta here.

24 Sep 2010
  • Broken Hill
  • 20:41hrs
  • 27.00 litres
  • Doco/Log witnessed by my wife Lee and Serg, my brother.
  • Start docket
12kms down the road and I see two roo’s, within 500 metres another darts across the road at the very edge of my HID lights beam. Ah oh, is this a sign of thing to come. I see two more about 10kms from Cockburn, one looks to jump out in front of me but I’m gone. I see no more until the next morning. I ride with purpose and intend, mentally going over the sums, wondering how many of my fellow LD riders are following me via SPOT but mostly, I simply enjoy and savour the ride. With a clear sky, a waning moon rising behind me and the wind still, air temps are cool but not cold. Very nice riding conditions for night riding. Just under two hours later I’m passing through Yunta and mentally say, “See you in 22 hours or so!” Turn right at the Peterborough turn off and at the stalled (been no work now for over two years on this project!) railway crossing works, the road has been repaired. Arrhhhh, loose gravel like tiny marbles as I turn left over the crest and I know I’m alive as I keep the bike upright.

Peterborough, Orroroo, Wilmington and I’m riding up into Horrock’s Pass. Memories of the tribute to FR1 and my thoughts turn to Russell and all those riding in atrocious conditions to make it here just a few short weeks ago.
Again, ah-oh as I pass a Road Works sign leading into a right hander. The front wheel skids out and I’m in damage control but no problems. The 1400 is easy to control and make good a bad slide. Settle petal as I carve my way through what seems to be endless roadworks. About halfway through and the End of Road Works sign is sighted and I make haste, carefully. Past the banner shot location and as I turn right onto the main hwy towards Port Augusta, I see on a least three occasions flashing blue and red lights. The “Blue Ball” collectors are busy tonight I muse quietly. Port Augusta and the first fuel stop. I’ve already decided that the first servo on my left would get the nod. At the Mobil Roadhouse/Truck Stop I pull in and I’m greeted with notices on all the fuel pumps. I can’t read what’s on them as these are taped on the middle of the top and bottom causing the paper to curl and flutter in the breeze.

I stop at the pump closest to the cashier’s entrance and using one hand to straight the paper out, I read that the pump will not auto shut off when tanks are full. Great, my first stop and already I’ve lost time! I dismount; take my gloves off and in doing so the inner liner comes out along with my inner gloves. Hmm. worry about this later. I start refuelling and what’s this? I am using the slowest fuel bowser in the world. Refuelling takes twice if not three times longer than normal, too late to change pumps now. I keep it together and have an energy bar and take sips of Powerade to ease my frustration.

I use the Gents which is conveniently located next to the cashier’s entrance for a #1. I pay for the fuel ensuring all receipt details are correct and accounted for. Back at the bike and as is my routine, I write the time in/out, Odo and GPS kms on the back of the receipt, place the receipt in my wallet. I’ll fill the log out later. I then try to put the gloves back on and quickly give up. I always carry a spare pair of gloves so I take out the old reliable Dririders summer gloves, don the inners and the Dririders and make a mental note that I’ve been here 14mins.

25 Sep 2010
  • Port Augusta
  • 00:41 hrs
  • 408 GPS kms
  • 28.38 litres
  • 14 mins down time, about 6~7 too long
As I’m travelling through town I’m calculating how this stop will affect my overall timing. I’m a little peeved and I’m starting to think the attempt is over! Push on regardless, past Iron Knob and along A1, time and kilometres tick away slowly. Kimba and the dog leg, the next would be entering Kyancutta. I ride through all the sleeping little hamlets without really paying much attention, I’m not sleepy (my biggest worry) and my energy levels are good, I’m only focused on the job at hand, riding and riding with purpose.
Ceduna and the temperature is quite cool even cold. I don't have another energy bar or sips of Powerade as planned, I just refuel wanting to make up time, again I use the Gents for a #1, pay for the fuel on the way out and log a time of 8 mins for the stop. This is much better!

25 Sept 2010
  • Ceduna
  • 04:57hrs
  • 882 GPS kms
  • 33.36 litres
  • 8 mins down time
I’ve put on the silk balaclava on at Ceduna and the heated grips are not quiet flat out. Penong and the Mobil servo is already open, the sky is becoming brighter as the sun wakens for another day. Nearly to Yalata and the scene is breathtaking in more ways than one! A Roo! Darts out from my right and I need to slow down as his mate comes roaring after him. Oh no! I beep the Stebel and I try to swerve and avoid hitting the mongrel but I know I’m going to hit and straighten up. At the same time, the roo realises I’m going to hit him and applies the brakes, in doing so, falls down onto its right side. I whiz past barely missing the creature and as I look in the mirrors the roo is up, gives a quick “dust off” type shake and makes after his buddy. I breathe a sigh of relief and fog up my visor and clear safety glasses; I use the glasses to keep the wind out of my eyes for occasions just like now. I crack open the visor to let the breeze remove the mist from my looking gear.

My windscreen frosts over as I go through one of the many colder zones that live in the dips out this way. The further west I travel the lighter it gets and with it the temps drop. It’s cold now but the sun breaking through the tree line warms me ever so slightly. I pass Nundroo and it’s colder still. You know that little voice we all have in our head, well it’s saying, what the bloody hell are you doing out here? Do you really what or even need to do this, what have you got to prove? I dismiss this and other negative thoughts as yet another mind game trick. Perhaps my body is trying to get me out of the cold. I’m starting to shiver now but I’m not stopping to put anything warmer on. This will all pass when the sun is higher in the sky.

Approaching Nullarbor Roadhouse and the sun is finally starting to warm me but this is short lived. Not long after Nullarbor I pass under low, fluffy cloud cover, the sun becomes hidden and the air becomes a lot colder. The heated grips are now flat out, a cold Antarctic blast is blowing hard from the Bight and conditions are no fun. I’m been shivering since just after Penong and am looking forward to a break at Border Village. About 20kms from the Village the road is very near the Bight and one can see the coastline and the surf pounding the beaches.

You can usually see the Great Southern Ocean in all its blueness and the far reaching coastline but this time it’s just a grey mist from sea to sky. Only the close in surf was blue with the coastline blending to grey. What a change from the Border Run at the start of August.
Arriving at the Village and the ever present semi’s are there, also there is a 4WD at the premium fuel pump closest to the entrance so, I head for the one and only other premium pump. Sign says Out of Order. Ha, I say (you can insert your own expletive there). I ride back to the other pump and wait while the driver fuels up his tank. In the meantime he’s pulled out a 20 litre jerry can. What an idiot I am! I open my fuel caps, swap my night glasses for the day sunnies and just stand there waiting and watching for him to finish. Another two jerry cans appear and I’m getting a little twitchy. At the time my only focus was to get petrol into my tanks and hit that road and attack the in leg of the BBG. I didn’t have another energy bar or electrolyte as per planning. I had plenty of time to snap a pic via the phone camera. Nope, I was too focused and narrow minded on one thing. Funny how the mind games play or was the hours in the saddle taking their toll!

He finishes and hands me the pump. “Careful,” he says “that nozzle sprays out at ya.”

“Yes, I know.” Was all I could say, well I did know, it’s been like that every since my first Border Run in ’07.

In goes the fuel and I’m wishing that Port Augusta had this pump, spray or no spray. I’m quickly filled and head inside. There’s the 4WD owner ordering food, and the attendant is writing down his order, no one else serving so, I go and use the Gents for a #1. When I come back I’m immediately served. Knowing that no litreage is recorded on the receipts there I ask for the price per litre and the number of litres to be hand written on the receipt. Ok, done and I’m out the door. As I’m donning my lid and gloves and old fella says, “Yep, ya need those things to keep ya cool.” There’s always a wag somewhere along the road!

25 Sep 2010
  • Border Village
  • 09.20hrs
  • 1361 GPS kms
  • 34.77 litres
  • 13 mins down time
IN LEG
Well the down time wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be but still not to my liking. I keep going over and over why I didn’t use the down time waiting for the use of the bowser more constructively. Will I make sense of it in the debrief (the ride report)? I push for Nullarbor and curse the cold and the head ripping wind. See, I’m getting cranky now as I’ve not eaten since the first fuel stop. I have been continuously sipping from my Camelbak all along the trip and as I near Nullarbor I get the yawns. No, I’m not tired or fatigued but put this down to the fact I’m not breathing properly because if I do the visor and eye wear will fog up. I crack the visor open further and let the cold and the neck cracking wind in. This helps and the yawns go away.

Nundroo and Penong again but it’s not until I’m nearly at Ceduna that the sun warms me up again. Entering Ceduna I know that I must stop at the Quarantine checkpoint, at least I’ve stopped shivering. As I near the checkpoint my heart drops as the line is six deep, trucks, caravans, 4wheelers but hey, wait a sec. no one is using the right lane. I do and as I come to a halt at the stop sign, I hear “G’day mate.” from over my left shoulder. I turn and see a Quarantine officer walking towards me. I actually recognise him from when I come through on the Border Run.

“G’day mate.” I say back raising my visor.
“Got any fruit or veg with ya?” he asks.
“No fruit or veg, no potatoes or onions either.” I add, knowing all too well the routine.
“Ok mate, your ok, off you go.” he informs me.
“Cheers and thanks mate.” Grinning as I head to the servo a few hundred metres down the road.

I’m just so focused on getting fuel and back on the road that I forget to eat an energy bar or sip on the electrolyte. I turn off the heated grips and take the inner gloves and the balaclava off as it's warmer now and the forecast was for mid 20’s further down the road. Again a #1 and pay on the way out with minimal down time.

25 Sep 2010
  • Ceduna
  • 13:35hrs
  • 1839 GPS kms
  • 32.30 litres
  • 8 mins down time plus the stop at Quarantine
As I’m leaving the Ceduna city limits I realise I haven’t eaten as my stomach reminds me of the fact and think that at the next dog leg, I’ll slow down enough to grab a bar from my tank bag. I don’t, neither at Kyancutta or Kimba. The weather is absolutely perfect for riding now, clear skies, a slight tail wind and the temperature wonderful. Warm enough to open the arm and chest vents on my leather jacket. Since I stopped shivering my demeanour seems return to normal. Even my little grey cell is happy, ticking away crunching the numbers. The ride is still within reach but I must push.

I note that there are blue tongue/sleepy lizards busking on the road are sign the summer is on its way. Many are road kill but I don’t add to the toll. The smart ones use the white line closest to the verge no doubt the line is reflecting the sun rays and the lizards can feel this. Onwards through the Kyancutta and Kimba, I don’t have the energy bars as planned and continue on towards Port Augusta for the last time on this run. Iron Knob and the side and heads winds return from the south with the clear intend of relieving my torso of its head.

At the 1,600km mark, I'm surprised how quickly this rolls around, as this is the entry level IBA ride, called a SS1600K. Not too long after I'm again surprised how quickly the 2,000km mark rolls around, this is another IBA ride called a SS2000K.

At the left turn and with 66kms to Port Augusta and I am now confident I can achieve this. I look at the ride cheat sheet which is in the top of my tank bag. Am pleased to be reminded that Yunta is a mere 217kms from Port Augusta, well add the 66kms or so I’ve still yet to ride. Up onto the overpass and it’s the boringly 22km or so long straight run into the “Gutter”. Watch your speed here because many an unwanted donation to the “Blue Ball” has been made along this stretch. There are no collection units to be seen and I enter the city limits with stiff breeze blowing from gulf.

The first servo is my port of call and the Shell near the Big4 gets my custom. Here as I refuel and as I eat two energy bars and finish the last of the Powerade, oops, I overfill the back tank. I want to pay for the fuel but need to wait while the customer before me finishes paying via plastic and getting Fly Buys and whatever else he was doing to hold me up. I’m not in panic mode as I’ve banked some time. I take the opportunity to have the now obligatory #1. I log the back of the receipt. I close my jacket vents and swap the eye wear again before donning the gear for the final push to Yunta.

25 Sep 2010
  • Port Augusta
  • 17.44 hrs
  • 2305 GPS kms
  • 32.92 litres
  • 14 mins down time, trouble closing the back tank cap and needed to cleanup overflowing fuel.
Back on the bike and no sooner than I’m back in the traffic, it’s a red light. Then another, then behind a slow moving semi, a triple! Don’t panic, plenty of time, 3 hours to knock over the last 217kms. But, but there’s Horrock’s and Orroroo and Peterborough and those road works and who knows how many random breath tests I’ll face. Where is that turn off to Horrock’s? Have I missed it worrying about finishing in time? Panic not, you know this route! Arrhhhh, those damn mind games! Finally at the turn off to Horrock’s Pass and I have a brilliant sunset in both my mirrors with the top of the Flinders Rangers lit up purple with dark green hues below. I keep telling myself, stop and take a photo don’t let a chance go by but as I take the hand of the throttle, near and then past the banner shot location, bugger, the scene ends. I had one more opportunity to take the shot of the two mirrors with the sunset as I entered the first right hander at the Pass but alas, I didn’t. This is one memory that will be just that, a memory.

I take it easy through the Pass remembering the road works, I pass the Cairn and think back again on the Memorial Run. Wilmington, Orroroo and Peterborough all pass without incident. At the stalled road works at the railway crossing I catch and pass a semi. Better that than eating marbles for tea! Left turn onto Hwy 32 and the home stretch and even better a tail wind. Soon I’m passing through Oodla Wirra and note there are newly installed fuel pumps at the old servo cum diner there. Then, you beauty, it’s the short 50 or so kms to Yunta. No more surprises, no more ‘roos, a clean run and I breathe a sigh of relief as I pull into the Caltex at Yunta. I quickly put the fuel in to get that all important end receipt.

25 Sep 2010
  • Yunta
  • 20.04 hrs
  • 9.1 litres
  • Distance: 2,525 GPS kms.
  • Moving average: 108kph
  • End receipt and log witnessed.
Here I get Maree AKA Terry and Wendy to witness my IBA log, they are more than keen to help me out.

I rang Lee to let her know what I was doing, she of course was following me on SPOT, I informed I’d be home in a couple of hours or so. After all, two more hours in the saddle would be a cinch compared to the last 24! I should arrive around 22.10hrs without mishap and with sleep the last thing on my mind. Still at Yunta, I SMS’d TOURA and he phoned me back. He asked how I felt about kicking the BBG’s butt? I had a dream, an aspiration and now that it was realised boy, it felt good, damn good buddy! Bun Burner GOLD number 1, done and witnessed!

I mused, how did I feel? Elated, ecstatic, happy, and joyous, tired, sore all that and much more. I ordered a steak sanger and while I wait I sat, sipping on electrolyte, I contemplated.
I thought of Ian (tabledrain), of Crappy, of John and Derrick, of the IBA, of IBA Australia, of all the other FarRiders, many of whom no doubt had followed my progress via SPOT, of all the attendees at FarRides, of all those that have tackled an IBA ride, of the attendees at the Border Run, of the attendees at Horrock’s and of Team Jones but above all, I thought about Davo.

To everyone who posted, SMS’d, emailed or phone me with words of support and praise. I am humbled to know that so many of you have taken such a keen interest in my ride. I sincerely thank you. To Willow and Team Jones I say a very special heartfelt thank you for allowing me to take possession of Davo’s auxiliary tank, without it this ride would still be just a dream.

EPILOGUE
Sunday 26th September 2010.

I let my body decide when to awake after finally falling sleep around at 01:30hrs, so at 12:35hrs I need to force myself to arise as my body aches, my right hand and forearms are slightly swollen and stiff to flex, my calves feel tight and stiff too. I certainly won’t mention my butt! Suffice to say my butt bones ache. My head was a little fuzzy but keen to get as much of the ride down on paper while it was still fresh. Collating and copying the receipts helped and so too, filling out the IBA log as I jotted down the report in tandem.

Some things I did differently. When coming to city limits I kept the speed up until the last possible moment then braked hard to slow down. When leaving I accelerated hard to get up to speed as quickly as possible. Both of these are not hard to do with the 1400GTR big brakes and ample horsepower. If I needed to slow down for say a slow moving vehicle which I couldn't overtake safely, or turning off to say the Horrock’s Pass, I would endeavour to get back up to speed as quickly as possible. I did this in an effort to keep the overall average up. As mentioned elsewhere that average ended up being 108kph.

I'm surprised how quickly the 1,600km and 2,000km points rolled around on the ride. I am so very surprised at how the slightest doubt or slightest hold up were magnified and blown out of all proportion. I thought the last Port Augusta stop was way quicker than it was, another out of whack perception. Are all these things normal? I guess I’ll find out on the next one.

Last edited:

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Excellent Report Kwaka ....

Lot's of great information on how to do it for others who wish to take up the challenge.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Kwaka it was a real joy to reread this report.

Davo generally, Crappy's spot crossing Oz in the dust and this glorious BBG of yours
just a week or so before my first 100CCC over the same roads sparked my fire for the LD capers.

Thank you.

Last edited:

kwaka

Premier Member
@ Ziggy, appreciate your feedback, thanks mate.

@ OX. No, allow me to thank you.
What an absolute pleasure to read that little old me helped add to the LD flame in such a big dog like you, it is truly humbling and fills me with a huge sense of pride.

Something I don't note in the BBG RR is that my first attempt was indeed two years before in Oct, 2008 and I failed.

That BBG attempt was returning from the GTR-AUS meet in Busselltown where I shared a room with Davo, he was a witness, and it was also where we learned that Mike Kneebone had given the nod to have Davo's FarRiders be the Australian arm of the IBA. Anyway, the BBG failed because I arrived at Nullarbor Roadhouse 15mins after the fuel pumps had been turned off. Man, was I miffed! I had ridden the start of the ride with another GTR-AUS member and I allowed myself to waste time when we both stopped for lunch at Esperance. That was one big lesson learnt right there in that one doesn't take prisoners on extreme ride attempts. Upshot was however, that I'd completed an SS1600K in the process but I've not submitted that ride in for certification. Just one of my many unsubmitted 1600's gathering dust in the filing cabinet.

Incidently, on the way to the meet, I knocked out my first IBA rides (SS2000K and BB2500K) and such was my lack of IBA knowledge but I could've turned the BB into a SS3000K/48 as I made the 3100 or so kms from home to Busselltown well within the required timeframe.

I also had another crack at another BBG in 2012 but failed that one too due to tiredness (my first serious micro-sleep issue) but did nail a BB2500K instead being another ride not submitted as I didn't ride it in the spirit of the rules. Talk about an amatuer! o_O

You know, Parkes has rekindled my passion too. ;)

Skidoo

Premier Member
What a corker of a read! I really enjoyed the detail and it was an absolute joy to re-read. The Roos haven't changed and it amazes me how the screens freeze up. Congratulations and thanks so much for sharing some great history!

Tele

Premier Member
My first time to read this one Kwaka! Absolute cracker of a ride and brilliant report! Truly awesome-ness !!

kwaka

Premier Member
@ Skidoo, glad you enjoyed the detail. I find it important to note down as much as possible while a ride is still fresh. Re-reading this and other RR's of mine, is a great reminder which rekindles other memories as you note so well. Cheers mate.

@ Tele, thanks mate, rapted that you enjoyed it.

@ TJ, no probs mate. Good to hear you finally got to read it. Guess I should post a few more of my IBA rides here, especially the 2up ones too eh.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Here's one close to home Ed.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/...09b49043e030!2m2!1d150!2d-34.716667!3e0?hl=en

I'm not sure of your tank range of course so you will need somewhere to stop along the Hay Plain and also Emmdale/Cobar. Leaving at 0200am or so you'd have the sun at your back when it needs to be, miss most of the roos out west and miss all of the traffic from the Newcastle-Syd section.

Some mixed roads and maximises the 110s.