Being a witness / along for the ride for a first time IBA SS1000

c10

My friend , and dentist is hooked on getting his SS1000 / BB1500 . I told him I would ride along with his 1st attempt @ a SS1000 , and looks like it might happen this coming Saturday . Will start / finish together paper work printed out / photos for him / Google route printed ( normal routine for IBA certs ) I'm not concerned about one for me just there to support a friend / road side assistance program lol .
Would Alex just state my IBA number , and name as witness start / finish and along on his ride ? Thanks in advance :)

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
He can use you as a witness as long as you are not going for a certificate yourself. You will not only be a start and end witness, you'll be witnessing every mile of his ride. :)

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
You seem to be mixing up methods. Is he intending to use the Alternate Witness Method? You mention "paperwork printed out" and "photos for him".

If not and he's taking photos of his odo/fuel receipts, no witnesses are required.

Also understand that you don't need witnesses at the exact times you start and finish. You need them within a reasonable time and distance. It's ok to get a start witness the night before if you have an early start planned, for example. If he's got a living partner/spouse, they can witness his odo at the house, then he rides to meet you at the gas station where his official start will be documented with a dated business receipt, (DBR).

Same at the end, he ends his ride with a DBR, says goodbye to you and rides home, then has partner/spouse witness his odo there. That can be done in the morning if he's ending late as well. The odo witnesses are not as critical as the DBRs.

I find it easier to make a mini fuel log using a small note pad for use during the ride. After the ride I can fill out the IBA fuel log at home.

c10

Thank you :) I'll be his mile by mile witness . Start / finish @ my house as its 2 miles from him so since route is planned. Got some fat in for his first SS100 .
1636646726104.png 1636646726104.png