Best Interstate and multi lane divided Highways, USA based

MidTNJasonF

Premier Member
While non interstate highway IBA Rides are certainly possible most of us use Interstate or at least multi lane divided highways to cover much of the distance in our certified rides. This question/post is about finding the best choices for covering lots of miles on major roadways.

What interstate highways or major multi lane highways have you traveled and enjoyed either because they are scenic, low traffic, or pass through less dense areas (smaller cities)?

I will add a couple of good choices and a couple of poor choices from my own region.

Very poor choices (in my opinion);
I-65 From the Greater Nashville, TN area down through Montgomery, AL. Horrid traffic nearly any day of the week and especially on the weekends. Many days it is like a scene out of Mad Max with road raging drivers jockeying for position. Vast speed differentials and frequent rear end collisions as traffic ebbs and (fails to) flows. My last trip through I counted no less than 6 multi car rear end collisions including 4 on the North bound side I was traveling. One of which caused a near 1 hour delay as they cleared it.

Second poor choice is I-40 through Tennessee, primarily Nashville to Memphis. Again frequent high traffic, frequent major accidents causing significant slow downs or closures.

Dishonorable mention is anything within 100 miles of Atlanta. Just don't...

Very good choices in my opinion;
I-22 / Formerly Corridor X of the Appalachian Development Highway System. It is an extremely low volume interstate corridor connecting I-269 near Byhalia, Mississippi, to I-65 near Birmingham, Alabama. It is only 202 miles long but it is a very relaxing ride since it passes through mostly rural uncongested areas.

My second choice can be easily connected to the first choice by making a short but annoying jaunt through Birmingham to connect to I-59. I -59 covers 445 miles from I-10 and I-12 at Slidell, Louisiana, to I-24 near Wildwood, Georgia. I have not frequently traveled the section from Birmingham to Slidell but I have traveled the Birmingham to I-24 interchange near the Georgia Tennessee state line more times than I can count. Once you are past the outskirts of Birmingham it is a pleasant trip again with low density and low traffic.

Honorable mentions;
I-81 from Winchester, Virginia to Bristol, Virginia is very scenic and the couple of times I have traveled it it was also low traffic/density. At ~315 miles it is also a nice long stretch if you are trying to put together legs of a trip in the region.

I-40 from Newport, Tennessee to Hickory, North Carolina is also pretty scenic and curvy. While there are certainly many great roads through the mountains in this area If you have to travel interstate through the Appalachian Mountains you could certainly do worse. Not a long stretch at only ~140 miles but enjoyable.

Add your favorite stretches of major highways below. I would like to get out and try some of them. I know there are some great options out west but I have limited riding experience west of Kansas and Oklahoma.

Crafty_rider

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I-91 & I-89 in Vermont, I-89 & I-93 (North of Concord) in New Hampshire. I-87 in New York north of Albany. I-70 west of Denver is pretty unique as well.
I agree with Russ...all of Vermont is great (and that reminds me that I really should complete that in-state VT1000 I have been planning for years...).

Cheers!

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I agree with Russ...all of Vermont is great (and that reminds me that I really should complete that in-state VT1000 I have been planning for years...).

Cheers!
I did one years ago and was at a BBG pace 700 miles into it, but I blew a fuse by stupidity and then spent an hour looking for a replacement, but it was a pretty easy SS1000.

Dave28117

Premier Member
I-10 out west.
I-40 west of the Mississippi.
I-77 from Wytheville north except for the tolls until you get into northern Ohio. Be prepared with a transponder or cash through WV.
I had a good trip from Charlotte up I-77 to Beckley WV, then 19 until it hits 79 and going on north to Pittsburgh. Then I went east to Carlisle PA and south on 81 back to CHA.

MidTNJasonF

Premier Member
I-10 out west.
I-40 west of the Mississippi.
I disagree with that one a bit. I-40 west of Tucumcari or maybe Albuquerque sure but Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas are miserable. Straight, boring, and smelly especially around the Amarillo feed lots. If I never go that way again I will be a happy man. Arkansas is just ok on a good day, the 75mph speed limit helps it a little.

I-10 has some positives out west but the wind in New Mexico and West Texas is brutal. It can be fairly miserable from about San Antonio through Louisiana though.

I-8 east of San Diego was an enjoyable ride even if my phone kept trying to connect to Mexico cell networks/towers that were a few hundred yards south at times.

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I-90 and I-94 From Seattle to Madison Wisconsin. Plenty of variety in topography, no bad traffic areas, and long enough to get close to a 2000 mile trip done. I would wait until spring to give it a try however.
Minneapolis can definitely be a traffic mess on I-94, and Spokane/CdA always seems worse than it should be. But yes, otherwise it's smooth sailing and a variety of scenery.

I also like I-15 through Utah, Idaho, and Montana. I-70 in Utah and western Colorado is beautiful, but from Denver east no thanks.

I-5 sucks. Yes, there's nice scenery and low traffic between Sacramento and Eugene, but the traffic snarls in SoCal and Eugene-Seattle can be pretty awful.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I also like I-15 through Utah, Idaho, and Montana. I-70 in Utah and western Colorado is beautiful, but from Denver east no thanks.
+1

I have been the entire length of I-15, long parts of it multiple times. Once you get north of SLC it gets pretty nice. The sweepers between Basin and Boulder, MT can be a little tricky. When that section was still 2-lane highway at 55 mph, it was not too bad. Trucking through at 80 can be a bit dicey. There was not enough room in the bottom of that canyon to straighten out the curves very much.

I-90 between Coeur d'Alene and Livingston, MT is pretty nice as well.

Of course US-50 across Nevada is not to be missed either.

Oh.... and if you ever get the chance to ride I-H3, do not pass that up. :D

I-24 E out of Nashville is the Wild West, no more flashing lights/horn/middle finger…it’s show and or fire the gun if you feel malinged.

I-24 W once past TN-KY border is pleasant riding all the way up into IL. It becomes I-57 to Champlain,IL. Getting in/out of Nashville during commute times is challenging.

I did my very first certified ride Nashville to Galesburg, IL and back so I have a history there.

I did a SS1000 using mostly I-77 and I-64 through VA/WV/KY. Lots of decent curves, some decent scenery, and not too many cities. And I happened to time it perfectly so that I missed the rush hours in the few cities that are along that route. All while still being high speed interstate to munch the miles!

Terrywerm

+1 on I-90 anywhere west of Madison WI. but it is the best west of Tomah WI. The stretch between Madison and Tomah is shared with I-94 so carries quite a bit more traffic that tends to bunch up quite a bit. West of Tomah WI it is pure heaven. Not much for scenery across southern MN and eastern SD, but otherwise great riding. Once you leave Madison and head for Seattle (1955 miles give or take), the largest cities you pass through are Sioux Falls SD (202078), Billings MT (184167), and Spokane WA (228989). Everything else is under 75000 population wise.

I-94 west of Minneapolis is pretty good but is best after you get west of St. Cloud. Great running across ND but not much for scenery.

I-29 from St Joseph MO all the way to the Canadian border is good riding but has a couple hiccups along the way, but nothing major. Nice ride up the Missouri River valley to Sioux City. Scenery wise there is little to see north of Sioux City except for one spot in northern SD where you are at the top of the Buffalo Ridge and the views from the rest area there are pretty good.

I do like I-70 west of Denver, especially for the mountains and scenery. Traffic is usually not too bad, but summer holidays and weekends can be brutal heading up into the mountains.

I-80 between Des Moines IA and SLC is decent but carries a lot of truck traffic and traffic can bunch up for short stretches as a result. East of there can be frustrating if traffic is heavy and gets worse the closer you get to Chicago.

I need to get out west and ride I-15 in Montana. Some parts of it look fun but may not be best for making any real time. Scenery, however, should be great.

MidTNJasonF

Premier Member
I-24 E out of Nashville is the Wild West, no more flashing lights/horn/middle finger…it’s show and or fire the gun if you feel malinged.

I-24 W once past TN-KY border is pleasant riding all the way up into IL. It becomes I-57 to Champlain,IL. Getting in/out of Nashville during commute times is challenging.

I did my very first certified ride Nashville to Galesburg, IL and back so I have a history there.

I drive/ride it every day but I do it the opposite of normal rush hour traffic flow and only in Rutherford county from Smyrna to Christiana. I used to do Smyrna to Haywood Lane for a couple years and Smyrna to just before Bell Road before that. Not a fun commute.

I did my first SS1000 up I24 West to Indiana but it was at 5 am and a Saturdays so no real traffic issues that day. 57 to 70 and then back down 65 and 75. I hated I-70 across Indiana but that was likely because of the prolific construction and poor pavement. I really enjoyed I-75 from Lexington down to the TN state line.

1stSS1000.JPG

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I need to get out west and ride I-15 in Montana. Some parts of it look fun but may not be best for making any real time. Scenery, however, should be great.
With the exception of three places (Butte, Helena, & Great Falls) where it drops to 65 mph for a few miles, the speed limit is 80mph. Plenty fast enough to make good time...

Che75

"Second poor choice is I-40 through Tennessee, primarily Nashville to Memphis. Again frequent high traffic, frequent major accidents causing significant slow downs or closures."

I joined the forum just to ask a question about this post. I am planning my first SS1000 for next month from Cincinatti, OH to Huntsville, TX. My planned route (abbreviated) is 71S > 65S > 40W > 30W. After reading the above I thought maybe I should reconsider my route. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I-40 W Nashville to Memphis is busy, but so is I-65 S TN-KY line to Montgomery, AL…but sometimes you find a “pocket” to ride in where there are no vehicles for 300’ of you front/rear.

You could look at Bluegrass/Western KY Pkwy, south to Dyersburg, TN crossing Mississippi R into northern AR. I-55 S, I-40/30 to Texarkana and then dodge metro areas to Huntsville,TX. Am sure parts of that route will be busy too.

MidTNJasonF

Premier Member
"Second poor choice is I-40 through Tennessee, primarily Nashville to Memphis. Again frequent high traffic, frequent major accidents causing significant slow downs or closures."

I joined the forum just to ask a question about this post. I am planning my first SS1000 for next month from Cincinatti, OH to Huntsville, TX. My planned route (abbreviated) is 71S > 65S > 40W > 30W. After reading the above I thought maybe I should reconsider my route. Any suggestions? Thanks!
I agree with Mike, try running across Kentucky instead of Tennessee if you can. It does not add much distance or time and avoids several major cities and busy stretches.

I have lived in the greater Nashville, TN area for over 20 years and was in Memphis, TN for a decade or so before that. My parents still live north of Memphis so I travel I-40 frequently to visit them. There have been trips where I had a fairly easy drive/ride but there have been more times when I lost 1+ hours to backups or shutdowns from issues. On one of my last IBA rides I nearly missed my time window to a bus fire that had all the east bound lanes shut down in the middle of nowhere while they attempted to put the fire out. Combined with another vehicle fire (tractor trailer) west of the Mississippi river in Arkansas on I-40 and I was really tight on time that trip.

Even my folks go up to Dyersburg when they want to head west of the Mississippi River to avoid going into Memphis and West Memphis.
Crossing Kentucky is a fairly nice ride with good scenery and generally lower traffic.

Which ever way you go run Waze or a similar app feed with live traffic and know a few major alternate highways. If you see to ETA change or see an alert be ready to pull over to an off ramp shoulder or such to safely scan ahead on your GPS or traffic app to figure out a potential reroute as early as possible. Most of the time once you are in the backup/slow down it is too late to deviate, especially if exits are far apart.