Bike Preparation to chase Frans

Farkleit

Premier Member
I have decided a few weeks ago that i would take the oportunity to acompany Frans on the Trans Australia Challenge and a few other IBA thrown in fir goid measure.
I have also seen a few posts around recently of people wondering what to do and how to prepare for IBA rides.
So i decided i would document my bike preparations for what will be a 15,000 overall combination of IBA rides in approx a 10 day period.

Farkleit

Premier Member
The first order was to consider fuel and distance requirements. So i went on a internet search and asked a lot of questions from some of our Aussie Elite IBA riders. OX was a wealth of information and the end result was i decided i needed an Aux fuel tank. So i made a template

Then sourced a local guy to be able to cut the shapes into 3mm Aluminium and fold accordingly.

I had a new TIG welder i was chomping at the bit to try out and this was the perfect oportunity.

Farkleit

Premier Member
So this is how it went. Weld in a baffle plate.

I was really glad i still had the old bike lift. Makes a gr8 workbench.
Welded on some channel to mount a top plate onto then assemble the two tank halves.

Farkleit

Premier Member
Needed breakfast on the run

Pressure tested it all

Drilled and countersunk the top plate

Test fitment on bike and trialing Top Box Options
Ready almost

Frans sent me a great top box he didnt need. It will soon be fitted to the top plate

Last edited:

Farkleit

Premier Member
If you missed the other post i had chasing bits. Then no matter OX was again the main man setting the information into overload.

These were difficult to locate however they came from Skyshop right here in QLD.
http://www.skyshop.com.au
However i had to email Rod and give him the part number.
I also bought the filler cap from Skyshop

I sourced the 90deg 3mm aluminium mandrel bent filler from a place called Jono Holdings. Also in QLD.
Next was to drill the tank and fit the bulkhead fitting. Again OX helped with the finer details.

And the final hose. Cintered bronze filter and small QD from Autobarn.

These took some hunting down even though i had qd in my shed they did not have vitron seals required for fuel.

Farkleit

Premier Member
I am riding a 2010 gen 2 FJR1300 i also took the oportunity to fully service the bike while on the lift.
Removed the rear wheel. Drained the diff oil. Pulled the pumpkin and drive shaft and changed out the rear break pads.

Yamaha are renouned for not greasing splines very well
[/URL][/IMG]

Dropped the universal out to check it and greased the splines.
Also dropped the center shocker rocker and greased all bearings and bushes

Removed all the cruise control magnets cleaned the magnets and the bolt heads then reinstalled. All in the same polarity

Washed out the K&N Airfilter reoiled and reinstalled the filter.
I also smear a light coat of vaseline around the air inlet. Acts as a pre cleaner grabs a lot of dirt.

I will also give the engine an oil change couple days before the ride.
Checked plugs and cable adjustments after installing new electric servo for the cruise control.

Last edited:

John negus

Impressive!! But way beyond my technical ability with the aux fuel..how much extra fuel will you be carrying in the extra tank..im thinking more along the Rotopax fuel cells on my tenere..using a single seat and the rest as a platform for fuel and bags ln top..Ox and the other heavy hitters have us all gazing at distant horizons..thats for sure..cheers and yippee..jn

Farkleit

Premier Member
Impressive!! But way beyond my technical ability with the aux fuel..how much extra fuel will you be carrying in the extra tank..im thinking more along the Rotopax fuel cells on my tenere..using a single seat and the rest as a platform for fuel and bags ln top..Ox and the other heavy hitters have us all gazing at distant horizons..thats for sure..cheers and yippee..jn
Extra fuel will be around 18 or 19 litres.

This was a trail dump earlier today. While it seemed slow. The fuel moved from the aux to the main tank.
The issue with bladder is stopping to transfer. Aux tank just turn the tap on. Gives greater flexibility.

Farkleit

Premier Member
So while awaiting a couple items ive ordered to arrive i decided to deal with hydration. An extremly important facet of long distance riding. Its best to drink while riding so you piss at refuels.
Upon searching the google i found these.

And

So i searched and struggled to find a round coleman.
My wife found a very upmarket hydration tank stainless steel and a Thermos brand.
I could not source a holder so i did what i do. Found some aluminium checker plate sheet and proceeded to cut a circle and a 100mm strip.
Then i used the TIG and welded the bits together. Found some RHS cut and welded that on as well

A trip to bunnings and some bits and we modify the flask. Drilled two holes in the lid. One for suction and one for a breather. Also some 6mm clear tubing that fits nicely over watering system rigid stem.
Also put a mini filter on the breather pipe to stop dirt ingress.

Farkleit

Premier Member
As this is not my first IBA the bike already has great lights. 100mm HID x 2 6000 lumen and 2, 4 LED that produce 3000 lumen that light the edges of the road. I also have orange covers on Both sets if needed for fog.
Used these going to Parkes Muster last year.

That's just the HID
On board is also Spot Tracker and Garmin Zumo GPS. Also cb radio.
The bike comes stock with heated grips. And i have a set of police mirror wind guards fitted.
I run a voltmeter to monitor battery. And if cold i have a heated vest that connects to the bike.
Also fitted is a set of highway pegs to enable rider position to change and alternate.
I also use an Ergo longhaul seat by John Morehouse. Created in Australia. Works as good as any Russell ive seen

Last edited:

Skidoo

Premier Member
Impressive job Farkleit!
Like the way you started with the tank and continued with the bike maintanence.
Now all you need is a multi day ride to test it all out and try out you hydration system.
Also love the sequential pics :)

Farkleit

Premier Member
So while the bike was on the lift. I thought i would install the farkle that was shown to my by a very dear departed mate.
The hard bit was to figure out how to make it work using the side stand clutch switch the opens a circuit on the negative side when the stand goes down.
It took a while but i sorted in the end.
This is called theTOURA FARKLE"

Farkleit

Premier Member
I've thought about undercarriage and inside pannier lights before. They could all be triggered by that side stand switch trick. Nice work TOURA and Brian.
Ive had light in the top box for ages on my normal top box. And yes ive put one in the box frans donated

This is the wiring run under the luggage rack. This time ive added a switch as i pull power for this led light from the tailight feed.