Bike Preparation to chase Frans

Farkleit

Premier Member
This is the LED light i use comes from Jaycar. Comes with optional mounting plates and Sikaflex is mount mounting friend in a lot of cases

Tele

Premier Member
This technical stuff blows my mind .... very well done and wonderful (a) that you have the skills to do this work and (b) that there are great guys and gals in this IBA caper that give so freely of their time and knowledge to help out. Very well done!

Farkleit

Premier Member
So this is the rear bracket. Should hold up to the weight me thinks

Have a mate in Sydney. Made up the spaces on the lathe and posted em up express post.

Farkleit

Premier Member
So after hearing some issues on similar type setup as the one i built i added a couple of extra measurez to ensure no issues. ( i hope)
I added extra support to the rear mount. And ive added extra fixing each side at the front.

Farkleit

Premier Member
So while awaiting a couple items ive ordered to arrive i decided to deal with hydration. An extremly important facet of long distance riding. Its best to drink while riding so you piss at refuels.
Upon searching the google i found these.

And

So i searched and struggled to find a round coleman.
My wife found a very upmarket hydration tank stainless steel and a Thermos brand.
I could not source a holder so i did what i do. Found some aluminium checker plate sheet and proceeded to cut a circle and a 100mm strip.
Then i used the TIG and welded the bits together. Found some RHS cut and welded that on as well

A trip to bunnings and some bits and we modify the flask. Drilled two holes in the lid. One for suction and one for a breather. Also some 6mm clear tubing that fits nicely over watering system rigid stem.
Also put a mini filter on the breather pipe to stop dirt ingress.

So after an two day ride this ladt weekend i have a couple little things to address. This is one of them. I used a sprinkler spike line pictured above. But i had to suck really hard to get a drink. So ive upgraded to an 8mm stem. I used a solid plastic that comes in a chemset injection pack. I had to join two bits. Much better.

This works much better.
The other issues i found were with my uhf radio mount. It kept moving forward. I removed that tonight and drilled through the full mount outter and inner ball then knocked in a roll pin. Wont move now!
Aux fuel tank works a treat. We travelled a heap of back winding mountain roads with very rough pavement and i had no issues with my beefed up rear bracket thanks to a heads up from a living legend on this site.
My other real issue was my spot and spotwalla. Spot was not sharing data. Contacted Jason from spotwalla and by Sunday he had it sorted out. Sooo hopefully its all working going forward especially for this epic ride comming up.

Bring on the end of the month.

Farkleit

Premier Member
been spending a lot of time on tyre choice.
i looked seriously at metzler 01. the feedback was they are very noisy. some early reports is 8000klm life.
i have been running pr4 for a while now. this one has done about 11000 klm and its not a gt version.

so i am going to put on a new set of PR4 GT front and rear and see how we go.
here is something to ponder. fjr weighs aroind 270kg. add fuel gear me we are around 430kg. when cornering bike generates 1.5g. work it out pretty serious loads on tyres.

Fatman

We put a PR4 on the rear at Port Hedland, it got us the 6500 km home but didn't have much tread left (approx 2000km) so out it went before the next FarRide/IBA ride. I was not a GT.

Farkleit

Premier Member
We put a PR4 on the rear at Port Hedland, it got us the 6500 km home but didn't have much tread left (approx 2000km) so out it went before the next FarRide/IBA ride. I was not a GT.
your bike needs the GT version for the loads.
ive already got 10k out of my rear with plenty left

Farkleit

Premier Member
Brian, you are way more prepared than me - got to swap the front tyre that went on today, fit panniers, get a service (thats happening tomorrow) and a few other things - going to be a busy weekend. Looks like you are all set to go.
i just need to fit new tyres and pack the bike. all things going to plan thus far.