Blood Runners

owl*

Rally Bonus checker
IBA Member
Apparently, 12th August is national blood bike day. Who would have thought it?

For any that don’t know, blood bikers (and drivers) transport blood and blood products out of hours to NHS hospitals throughout the UK.

You use either your own bike (as I do) or a marked up bike, as long as you qualify as a rider.

Different counties seem to have different rules.

In Kent we are divided into east and west areas, and are responsible for getting blood from the blood bank in Tooting and transporting it to whatever hospital needs it. Also for transporting blood from one hospital to another as required.

Typically, a rider or driver in the west region will go to Tooting, pick up the blood and transport it to a hospital in their area or to a handover point if it needs to go to one of the hospitals in the eastern region.

In Kent we also keep our air ambulance supplied on a daily basis, and undertake to do any emergency run for a children's hospice, deliver kidney dialysis samples out of hours and even transport breast milk in an emergency.

We are always pretty flexible, and will respond to any emergency. Last month we were asked to help supply water to those people unfortunate enough to be stuck on the M2 or the M20 when the French had all those extra security checks, stranding thousands of motorists who were not able to get into Dover port.

“Out of hours” means nighttime from around 1800 to 0600 every night of the year, plus day shifts from 0600 to 1900 at weekends and Bank Holidays.

You are asked to do a minimum of 2 shifts a month, so nothing too onerous. I typically will do 2 or 3 day shifts on Sundays, a couple of Bank Holidays a year plus a bit of kidney dialysis sample transport on a call out basis as required.

Doing this saves the NHS an absolute fortune, as before blood bikers, they had to pay couriers to do it, and they do not come cheap out of hours, especially when you have to get ones who are licensed to carry hazardous loads, which blood is classified as.

You also get the satisfaction of knowing you are helping to save lives, sometimes quite literally. You tend to know when this is happening, as the hospital staff tend to meet you at the door to get the stuff off your bike as quickly as possible.

The other type of volunteer is that of “Controller.”

A controller is the one who gets the initial calls from the hospitals, and who arranges and co-ordinates the riders and drivers to fulfil the request. This is done from their own homes and on the same shift patterns.

Full training is given to riders/drivers and controllers.

Extra volunteers are always needed. If you think you would like to join in, give your local blood bike group a call or an email, or contact me and I will put you in touch with a group in your county.

jaybee

Latvian rider transport!!!!!!
Premier Member
I had been thinking about volunteering for a while - it is one of the main reasons I joined RoSPA and did their qualification.
I have had a look at the SERV site and clicked through to Surrey and South London.
I do have a question though - all the regions talk about 2 nights a month but is that all? What about days?

owl*

Rally Bonus checker
IBA Member
I think they use that as a sort of short hand.
Personally, I don't do nights.
My typical volunteer shift pattern is 2 Sunday day shifts a month and I also choose to be on call-out to collect and deliver kidney dialysis blood samples as & when required. This usually involves a run to the patients house and then to the path lab at the hospital, and is carried out sometime during the evening.
The day shifts (in Kent) start at 0600 and finish at 1900.
I also choose to do a few day shift Bank Holidays, usually the ones over Easter or Christmas.

SERV give 24 hour cover every Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holiday throughout the year. The Surrey & South London group will be the same, although they might have a variation from Kent on what hours constitute a day shift.

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
I was a Blood Biker for approximately 3 years with SERV Norfolk. Some areas have slightly different operating procedures but we covered 12 hour shifts 365 nights (19.00 - 07.00). We also covered 09.00 - 17.00 on Saturdays and all day on Bank Holidays including Christmas, Boxing and New Years Day.

At the time I left, in Norfolk we had six bikes and two cars. Cars were used for the Saturday when often we had multiple boxes to transport during the day and then used all the time during the cold months when it dropped below 4 degrees.

All vehicles were funded through sponsorship and fund raising. They were all liveried up bikes and cars, a few being ex-police bikes but we also had a brand new Triumph Trophy and I think the Friends of Norfolk & Norwich Hospital were going to fund another one too.

All riders or drivers had to do was provide their time. Every vehicle had a fuel card as well. In Norfolk we had a particularly active leadership team hence why we didn't have to use our own vehicles or fuel. Clearly other counties aren't as pro-active hence why some riders and drivers use their own cars and bikes.

Because I work during the week and didn't want to use up my weekend days I used to cover Friday and Saturday nights. That way if I got called out at stupid o'clock I could have a lie in.

We were asked to provide 6 - 8 nights each month so they could organise the rota and give each rider only around 2 each. We could specify the maximum duties we wanted out of the 8 offered and one month I forgot to fill in that box and ended up on duty for 6 nights one month.

Many Blood Bike groups insist on an Advanced Riding qualification but strangely in Norfolk when we went over to cars in the winter we didn't also need to have an advanced driving ticket :confused: As we are a rural county with three major hospitals (@ Kings Lynn, Norwich, Gt Yarmouth) most of our runs were up and down to Cambridge Hospital which had a large blood bank. But as Tom has said we also moved about biopsy samples to labs for testing and sometimes frozen expressed breast milk for Neonatal baby units.

I ended up calling it a day because SWMBO was finding it increasingly difficult to get home on a Friday from work and turn straight around to take me to pick up a bike from the previous user, ready so I could get it back home complete all my vehicle checks, have some grub and be ready to go for 7 p.m.

If anybody has an advanced riding ticket and is happy to give up a few evenings or days each month it is a very rewarding experience. :)

I've been riding for the West Yorkshire part of the Whiteknights for the last 2 years but unfortunately have just had to stop, frustrating just as 3 FJR13000s have joined the fleet.

We serviced hospitals, hospices and care homes in Leeds, Bradford, Huddersfield and Halifax 365 days a year, 7pm to 7am Mon-Fri and 24 hours over the weekend, with our shifts split into 3 and 4 day chunks (Mon-Thurs, Fri-Sun).

We typically delivered samples, notes, medicines, but bizarrely not blood (as in bags of), though whatever legislative problem there is with that is getting sorted apparently.

They are about to start a daily service with the Air Ambulance but using cars, not bikes, for which they also need you to have an advanced qualification.

I've had to stop as their criteria for riders is that they live witching 30 minutes of Huddersfield Hospital and we've recently moved out of that range, only by 10 minutes but rules is rules.

It's a rewarding thing to do, and very much appreciated by the people who use the service, which is something to bear in mind when you get a call out at 4am on a wet and windy night.

owl*

Rally Bonus checker
IBA Member
As I mentioned in my original post, different regions have different operating procedures.

In Kent you don't have to have an advanced driving course qualification as you do an initial training assessment run, followed by a more formal training assessment, and training in the transport of hazardous substances. All very straightforward.

If you want to be able to ride/drive one of the marked fleet, I believe an advanced qualification is necessary (not sure on this point as I've never wanted to have access to the blue lights - been there, done that and I'm happier making progress without).

And if you want the marked vehicle, then you can do the same amount of shifts (minimum 2 a week) but they come in blocks, which doesn't suit me.

Best thing to do is to contact your SERV area secretary and have a chat to see what they do and what their requirements are. I'd be astonished if you were turned away regardless of your experience/qualifications.