Boots and trousers?

Since obtaining my full licence about 18 months ago, I have been tootling around in a cheap pair of ankle height boots from J&S.

Going into the RBLR1000, the time is right to invest in something better all things considered.

I want to get a pair of full length boots which will.
  • Protect my legs and feet
  • Keep aforementioned legs and feet comfy and dry.
I was looking at these:
https://eu.alpinestars.com/en-gb/pr...fCO2uyjpmS0CqIIEguA0d2xW7zWQiCJAx7nI2jFZPbm8w

Unsure if overkill/overpriced?

Regarding trousers, is it best to spend on a good pair of textile, waterproof, motorbiking, protective trousers or get a good pair of riding jeans with armour if needed and a cheap pair of waterproofs to go over the top?

Appreciate any input.

Heres to a safe and dry RBLR 2024 :D

Last edited:

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
One of the absolute joys of motorcycling is to be always on the lookout for gear. There are so many parameters and your personal choice regarding cost versus practicality is paramount. I've been riding since 1968 and at the ripe old age I am now I've learned a thing or two. I ride or did ride, high mileage for many years at about 25,000 miles per year, my current Triumph Trophy SE was bought in 2016 and it just clocked 100,000 miles, Covid and heart surgery stole a lot of my riding pleasure, so obviously I ride in all sorts of conditions and pay a lot for the right gear but the cost per mile travelled I think I get value for money.

So Boots.
For me, there is only one boot, the Altberg HOG High. The hotlink is to their standard lighter boot but I prefer the higher version which is not shown on their website for some reason. They are based in Richmond North Yorkshire and are a friendly bunch when you call in. Well worth a visit. There is no other boot that comes close, after break-in, they are super comfortable and have always been waterproof. Mine last about 10 to 15 years and I usually buy a second pair halfway through the life of the first pair but at 73 I think the pair I have now will see me out!

Trousers.
Now that's a whole new can of worms. I've never been a fan of jeans however I am aware that some brands offer good crash protection but I won't be getting any. My go-to outer garment has always been an AeroStitch Roadcrafter. But this has the added expense of coming from America with import duties, taxes and freight but again although expensive a very practical garment. When I was in gainfull employment and visiting customers I'd have a suit and tie then my AeroStch and on arrival take off my Stich and there I was ready for business. Not the best waterproofing during heavy long-term rain but this downside was outweighed by its practicality.

For extreme weather, I use a KLIM Badlands Pro so far I've never been wet in this during biblical storms and the main reason I bought the jacket and pants is crash protection, which thankfully I've not tested as yet.

Even my eyes water at the prices nowadays but for me the cost per mile for my comfort and protection is money well spent. Rukka offers similar weatherproof clothing but their hot weather ventilation performance is nowhere near as good as my Stitch or KLIM.

Just my $0.02 worth and always remember the Ruskin quote:

"It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do."

Happy buying

the easy answer is it depends on the type of riding etc that you intend to do and what you want. so if your anual mileage is low and yo never travel great distance and only in the dry then you will be alright with most things. the price is easy as well you tend to get what you pay for. for instance i still have a pair of altbergs over 30 years old ok they are no longer fully waterproof but having resoled them around 3 times now i still get use from them. they'll do a couple of hours in rain before it starts to works its way through. ok for knocking around local but not a full days touring.
the armoured jeans are good of the bike very breathable and comfy overtrousers work for waterproofing.
i have a pair of drop liner pants the drop liner zips out same as above just not very stylish, and i dont like stopping to put overtrousers on, so i got a pair of laminate pants
so everthing works but it depends on what suits you and what you are doing and value for your money

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
I'm on a low budget so all the reassuringly expensive kit is beyond my pocket money.

Boots - JTS Tourmax boots current pair are 5 years old and all good, if I have to buy a new pair every 7 years or so I'm good with that.
Winter Trousers - from JTS too, mine are 15 years old and remain warm and dry similar to the JTS Tourmax trouser but different.
Summer Trouser #1 - J&S Airvent mesh trouser (no longer available) got them on £49 half price special about 5 years ago.
Summer Trouser #2 - cheap waterproof trouser to go over the mesh trouser when it rains. Mine are ex Royal Mail issue but similar can be had off Amazon for £15 or wherever.

What I really like about JTS is their trousers come in 'extra short' 27" inside leg which means with my short legs the armour is in the right place and their boots come in extra wide sizes which means they don't pinch my fat feet.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Regarding trousers, is it best to spend on a good pair of textile, waterproof, motorbiking, protective trousers or get a good pair of riding jeans with armour if needed and a cheap pair of waterproofs to go over the top?
How much time do you want to spend roadside donning and doffing rain gear? How much storage space do you want to dedicate to the rain gear when it is not being worn? This goes for jackets and gloves as well.

jcbrnld

IBA Member
Boots...

I wouldn't get the Tech 7 unless you plan to be down a lot e.g. riding primarily offroad. They have excellent protection, but you'd be feeling their weight, rigidity, and heat (maybe) after multiple long iron butt days. Also all reports say the waterproofing on the drystar version doesn't work at all.

I recently picked up the Garene G-Dakar and absolutely love them. IMO they undercut the Alpinestars Toucan and the Sidi ADV2 by $200us for nearly the exact same thing... which may be why Revzilla doesn't even list them. They have a (not so robust, but still something) ankle hinge and goretex waterproofing. The rest is leather and quite comfortable.

Ian M

if you are new to biking then 2nd hand

you can get a lot of decent kit in very good condition for very little money and if you don’t like biking put it all back on ebay

if you're intent on spending some of the ££ on the brands that have been suggested then consider tailor made for clothing and get a suit that fits you not a manikin for not much more £££

I’d avoid the Chinese made Swedish brand but others wouldn't be seen dead in anything else

Altberg or Daytona for boots but Altberg is quite a wait

order it all on the internet and then try on in the privacy of your own home and not feel rushed or compeled to buy in a shop

Thank you all for the replies.

For context, I ride 6 days a week, I now no longer own a car, my Motorbike is my main/only mode of transport, sunny, cloudy, rainy or freezing cold.

I just get some basic/cheap gear after I did my CBT and to "get me by" on my first 125 while preparing for my full licence, RST gloves, Frank Thomas boots and I literally got my Jacket from the shop the day I purchased my second hand CBF125. No idea what I was buying, just needed something to ride home in.

The most important thing for me is value for money. Not bothered about brands, just maximising the returns on the money spent while getting value for money, if that makes sense.

Regarding the boots, the Altbergs look great, I would be happy with Urban style ankle boots for comfort/practicality but how bothered should I be about leg protection, yes, I know sounds a weird question but in this hobby, we take risks every time we get on our bike, all about calculated risks I guess.

Cheers.

Firstpeke

Second or thirds on the AltBerg Hoggs!

I am on my second pair and only bought them instead of getting my then 12-13 year old pair resoled!

AltBerg supply the Police and Military and the lead tome currently on a new pair of Hoggs is 16 weeks approx!

That is the price of popularity!

Some boots can be great to ride with, but terrible to walk in, Hoggs are great for both, particularly given their skill in making walking and hiking footwear.

I recently had to replace my Dianese Goretex textiles and have gone to Rev'it Goretex, not inexpensive, but so far it seems a good choice.

As Dave sort of said, you kind of get what you pay for...

rst and frank thomas are what i refer to as budget brands personally i wouldnt entertain them but many are happy with that choice.
protectection comes in two ways abrasion resistance and impact.
impact is down to the quality of the armour
and abrasion is down to the material plus the stitching that holds it all together doesnt matter how good the material is if the stitching pulls apart.
quality second hand garments come up all the time on internet sites, but its best to try them on first as fit and comfort is important.
dont just look at a brand name and assume its from a first world country an awful lot of gear is made in the far east and rebranded to look that way. quality is often dubious.
if your on a tight budget the i'd say look at some of the lesser known brands you can get good quality for a third of there price of the more expensive brands.
try looking at halvarssons or bering for praticality and if you like a bit of style furygan can be quite good.

rst and frank thomas are what i refer to as budget
They are definitely budget. Boots did not protect my little toe when I had a 0mph drop

I know more now than I did then.

Love the idea of a British made boot, the Altbergs look great quality, will see if in stock.

if your on a tight budget the i'd say look at some of the lesser known brands you can get good quality for a third of there price of the more expensive brands.

try looking at halvarssons or bering for praticality and if you like a bit of style furygan can be quite good.[/QUOTE
]

Thanks, will have a look.

I recently picked up the Garene G-Dakar and absolutely love them. IMO they undercut the Alpinestars Toucan and the Sidi ADV2 by $200us for nearly the exact same thing... which may be why Revzilla doesn't even list them. They have a (not so robust, but still something) ankle hinge and goretex waterproofing. The rest is leather and quite comfortable.
Those looks really good. It appears they have more ankle protection than a pair of Gaerne Balance Oiled boots but a similar toe box (which I've really enjoyed for a long time now). Both pairs the Gaerne boots I own are very comfortable for my feet. The Balanced Oiled boots are my choice when I want to be comfortable on and off the bike.

They are definitely budget. Boots did not protect my little toe when I had a 0mph drop

I know more now than I did then.

Love the idea of a British made boot, the Altbergs look great quality, will see if in stock.
I once had the hard protection on some budget boots just shatter and fall off during a light get off. I wouldn't mess with them anymore but I suppose they're better than a pair of socks.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I have light touring boots that are an older AlpineStar perforated, waterproof boot. Comfortable to walk in, keep my feet dry for 4 years now and show some wear. They can be a little cool under 15C because of the excellent air flow. I probably wear these 90% of the time. Cost $60usd as a used/new w/o box purchase from a motorcycle forum. They looked like they had maybe been worn 2-3 times. Great price on decent kit.

I used to do ADV touring, so my other pair of boots is a set of Gaerne G-Midlands that are taller, heavier, have a much better, more aggressive sole and more armor. They are warmer as well. After break in these are comfortable to walk in, but at the end of a 30C+ day, it's a relief to take them off. I don't really notice my feet being hot, (some do), but boy, when they come off after a hot day of riding, you realize how nice it feels to get out of them. These boots have hands down more protection than the Astars and if I was doing a cross country ride with on and off pavement riding, they would be my first choice of my two pairs of boots. They are also my second pair of G-Midlands, the first wearing well for 100k miles before starting the leak and about to need a re-sole.

You want your boots to be comfortable to walk in. Waterproof and air flow is a wonderful thing if cold temps are not an issue. Tread needs to match your conditions. If you're an all bitumen rider, you don't necessarily need a lug sole. That's partly just preference too. Full welt soles that can be re-soled are a factor if the boot quality is such that it will last long enough to be re-soled. The molded on soles can't be redone.

Capt Sisko

For the RBLR you don't really want to be stopping and putting waterproof kit on only to have to stop again to take it off half an hour later because it's stopped raining and you're overheating. As with having quick & efficient pit stops that minimise the time spent stopped, the right clothing will do the same. I'll be donned pretty much in gore-tex in one description for another, (maybe not gloves if it's too warm) but even the summer gloves I have will keep a shower out for a hour or so.

Sidi ADV2 is the top dog adv boot for sure. The only thing I would keep in mind is that they use mostly "vegan" materials i.e. synthetic leather as a base. I've read many reviews saying that will start to wear apart after a few years. I don't know how true that is and I believe many here get plenty of life out of road-oriented synthetic leather Sidi boots.
Still I prefer a real leather base and $200 in my pocket so I went the G-Dakar route. If the cost isn't an issue I would seriously consider the Toucans. They're similar in price to the Sidi (maybe a little less?) but made of leather and have the nice alpinestars buckles.
One thing you'll probably come across in reviews is that the Sidi is the only ADV boot with a full height GTX gator. I personally wouldn't consider this an advantage because it makes the calf area slightly warmer and is unnecessary unless you happen to put a foot down in a stream JUST the right depth.

Sidi ADV2 is the top dog adv boot for sure. The only thing I would keep in mind is that they use mostly "vegan" materials i.e. synthetic leather as a base. I've read many reviews saying that will start to wear apart after a few years. I don't know how true that is and I believe many here get plenty of life out of road-oriented synthetic leather Sidi boots.
Still I prefer a real leather base and $200 in my pocket so I went the G-Dakar route. If the cost isn't an issue I would seriously consider the Toucans. They're similar in price to the Sidi (maybe a little less?) but made of leather and have the nice alpinestars buckles.
One thing you'll probably come across in reviews is that the Sidi is the only ADV boot with a full height GTX gator. I personally wouldn't consider this an advantage because it makes the calf area slightly warmer and is unnecessary unless you happen to put a foot down in a stream JUST the right depth.
I have been looking at the Toucans, my only qualm is the ankle protection does not seem as good as the Sidis for what it is worth.

The Toe box is better on the Toucans I think.

I have seen it mentioned the Sidis can wear quickly in the toe area.

The height of water protection is irrelevant for me, if going in the canal, I will use a canoe.

Well put!
Ankle protection is why I went with the G-Dakar. Its hinge is similar to the Sidi and similar armor around the heel. Just much cheaper and constructed from real cow parts.

On the other hand you can easily break an ankle in any of these (they're not enduro boots after all) so be sure to get the one that fits your foot well.

Well put!
Ankle protection is why I went with the G-Dakar. Its hinge is similar to the Sidi and similar armor around the heel. Just much cheaper and constructed from real cow parts.

On the other hand you can easily break an ankle in any of these (they're not enduro boots after all) so be sure to get the one that fits your foot well.
All seems a compromise.

The A* Tech 7's seem a solid boot.

No good for walking, but protection and waterproof is my goal.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
@Gimpymoo - If you have a wide foot, espectially in the toe box area, the Sidi may be a little snug. The Gaerne boots tend to be wider. One of the reasons I went that way. Sidi boots also tend to squeak, forever. :D Not really a big deal, but you won't be sneaking up on anyone.