Boots

RickRussell

Premier Member
Wondering what everyone is using for boots on LD rides that include long stretches of gravel roads. Looking at doing Deadhorse in the spring and the Sidi Adventure 2 boots look like the ticket. The closest dealer I can go to that has some to test fit before purchase is about 700 km away. Anyone with experience with these for a long gravel road trip? Riding a 22 Africa Twin on the trip... really thinking on making Key West a next stop.

Ed.

Premier Member
No experience with the sidis, other than trying them on and not being able to find a comfortable size - they are very narrow style. I ran formas for several years and many thousands of km. After the best part of 200,000km of very mixed use they are no longer water proof, but i only discovered that when walking a creek crossing. Still have them but they have been relegated to part-time use, stored with a bike in the other side of the country. Comfy and moderately solid (compared to a road boot) and waterproof for a long while, but if getting into more technical off road they left me feeling a little vulnerable. Excellent for on and off road touring, by a little soft if doing more technical stuff.
I have replaced them with the alpinestar adv boot, which is waaay more expensive and so far seems a bit more solid. Less comfortable than the formas but not horrible. Time will tell if the various trade-offs and compromises are worth it.

Sportsterpaul

Have been into many different boots over the years and recently acquired two pair of “Stich” Combats. A “Lite” pair which will become my warm weather boots while the taller pair, (N.I.B.), a size larger will see duty for the cold weather. A couple of observations, the simplicity of design is amazing, the build is solid. Someone in another post referenced that they fell in between lighter weight road boots and heavier dirt oriented style, which I can acknowledge. On the bike they feel great and give good feel of the controls. While not rated as waterproof they have a reputation for being extremely water resistant. I have both full size rain boot covers as well as the ones that attach under the front of the pant legs so I don’t anticipate any issue with water.. Additional feedback after some more miles. Keep it safe out there.....

Last edited:

EddyC

IBA Member
In "cold/wet/winter" conditions, I stick to my HAIX combat boots.
Waterproof, robust and warm. Also easy to walk several miles with if need be.
Maybe a bit more hassle to put them on or take 'm off but IMHO that 's worth it.
Succes..and stay safe.
Ed.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
I'm very bummed that Aerostich discontinued the CTB. I really liked the style; they're much more timeless looking than the "armored armadillo" look of so many other boots on the market.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
@RickRussell -What's your concern, boot wise? Traction or protection?

Any decent waterproof moto boot should do nicely. I do like the ADV style boots for more protection and a lug sole when riding off pavement more, but I've also put down plenty of miles with smoother soled touring boots.

Current ADV boots are Gaerne G Midland goretex. The Midlands I have are out of production, but similar in style to the Sidi with typically a wider foot base for an Italian boot. I have a wider foot (12 E or 47 in metric), and found the Sidi boots in general to be a tad narrow for me. My Beautiful Wife has a couple of hundred thousand miles on Sidi Adventure Gore and Sidi touring boots. I know when she's walking my way from the squeaking. :D They have kept her dry and protected well.

Sportsterpaul

I'm very bummed that Aerostich discontinued the CTB. I really liked the style; they're much more timeless looking than the "armored armadillo" look of so many other boots on the market.
Shawn, not discontinued, trying to secure a manufacturer, which might not happen anytime soon. Currently I have my boot situation resolved and from the build quality I’m good for a long time. Happy New Year!

RickRussell

Premier Member
@RickRussell -What's your concern, boot wise? Traction or protection?

Any decent waterproof moto boot should do nicely. I do like the ADV style boots for more protection and a lug sole when riding off pavement more, but I've also put down plenty of miles with smoother soled touring boots.

Current ADV boots are Gaerne G Midland goretex. The Midlands I have are out of production, but similar in style to the Sidi with typically a wider foot base for an Italian boot. I have a wider foot (12 E or 47 in metric), and found the Sidi boots in general to be a tad narrow for me. My Beautiful Wife has a couple of hundred thousand miles on Sidi Adventure Gore and Sidi touring boots. I know when she's walking my way from the squeaking. :D They have kept her dry and protected well.
I am looking for leg protection mostly. I'm positive I will be better at riding on gravel by the time I get home from Tuktoyaktok or Deadhorse... but I want protection for the many miles of gravel or mud roads I will practice on.

Last edited:

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I am looking for leg protection mostly. I'm positive I will be better at riding on gravel by the time I get home from Tuktoyaktok or Deadhorse... but I want protection for the many miles of gravel or mud roads I will practice on.
The taller Adventure boots are a good compromise in protection. Not the full armor of dirt boots, but a lot more friendly for walking and wearing all day while traveling. Taller uppers than most touring boots, which gives you a little more protection from debris on the road, and still good ankle, shin, heel and toe protection.

Be aware that some riders find it helpful to adjust the shifter lever when moving to a thicker, bulkier boot to make it easier to get a toe under the lever. Every bike and rider is a little different in that regard on how we adjust or the ergos that work/don't work.

The Sidi boots are good, but as mentioned, tend to run narrow. The Haul road can be quite nice, or really, really unpleasant or all of that together on the same day. The AT should be fine.

I have had my class 6 for 41 years, and of those, I have always lived multiple miles from the nearest pavement {notwithstanding 5 years that we lived in town}.
I have always just worn regular plain jane leather boots so I don't think I can offer any advise that would have value pertaining to boots suited for gravel roads.
The funny part is that for the first time in 41 years i dropped the bike on a unpaved road, and I did it with flare...I high sided the wife.

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
D.M. - you and your wife clearly belong together. She handled the drop with a hardy laugh - before she had a chance to access any damage. That's the proper attitude. I was more engaged with the conversation than the ride and drop. Well done to both of you.

Last edited: