Brisbane to Adelaide BB2500

Hi All,

Can I have your thoughts on the following route, departure at 04:00AM Brisbane, expected arrival 15:15pm Adelaide.

I'm quite familiar with the Stanthorpe route at night so roo lookout won't be until after 9pm Sydney.

I have a 5hour layover in Bankstown, SYD, with each fuel stop about 5-10 minutes
https://goo.gl/maps/pgM7ZUXqhEduLou96

1569033702365.png

Last edited:

Fatman

Hi David, welcome and feel free to introduce and tell us a bit about yourself and what you ride on the IBA Aust Welcoming page if you have not already done (I may have missed it). https://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?threads/welcome-to-the-iba-australia-forum.7/page-14

Now getting back to your topic. Your BB2500km/36hrs map shows various spots where you have clicked and dragged the route to obtain the kms, but these would require you to prove you went via those points with a receipt. I refer to near Tamworth, Gunnedah, Denman, Canberra around Parliament House, I can't see any more than those.

It's usually accepted that maybe you would want more than 10km over the kms that you apply for. I would have thought maybe 2550km for the BB2500km may be a better total.

What sort of bike do you ride, what size fuel tank? this may allow to decrease the number of fuel stops?

I was trying to look up if a new IBA rider can ride a Bun Burner for their first ride, but I couldn't locate guidelines about this. Someone else may know if this ride would be ok for a newcomer.

Half the fun David is in the planning of our rides we do, and with good planning I always find the ride to be easier than it may have been.

Grey Gentry

Premier Member
Have you ridden all the twisty roads you have included before?
Have you ridden the Hay Plain before? Personally, I would not plan west of Wagga at night. SA Border to Adelaide would be better, as would the Hume. Maybe shift the start time to suit?

BB for a first ride? I'd think it would be ok. I think of a BB2500 as an SS1600 (in say 19 hours), a break, then another 900 km in 12 hours. I might be wrong. Plan an SS1600 with the rest added for a bonus?

Fatman's comment on corner receipts is valid.

Careful planning will result in a successful outcome.

tj189

Premier Member
David,
Welcome. I assume that you have read through the ride requirements located here

Just to clarify the comments regarding using the BB2500K <36 and in case you have not read the material in the above link, the following text should assist (quoted from the link)
It is possible to complete both the SaddleSore 1600K and Bun Burner 2500k on the same ride (or SS2000K and BB2500K). For example, in the first 24 hours you ride 1,610 kilometers and then continue on the second day and ride another 900 kilometers or more. Should you complete both the SaddleSore and Bun Burner on the same ride and want certificates for both, please see the attached fee schedule.

There is some great advice above.
Best wishes with your ride and do let us know all about it once you have done the ride ;)

David,
Welcome. I assume that you have read through the ride requirements located here

Just to clarify the comments regarding using the BB2500K <36 and in case you have not read the material in the above link, the following text should assist (quoted from the link)
It is possible to complete both the SaddleSore 1600K and Bun Burner 2500k on the same ride (or SS2000K and BB2500K). For example, in the first 24 hours you ride 1,610 kilometers and then continue on the second day and ride another 900 kilometers or more. Should you complete both the SaddleSore and Bun Burner on the same ride and want certificates for both, please see the attached fee schedule.

There is some great advice above.
Best wishes with your ride and do let us know all about it once you have done the ride ;)
Thankyou,

Have you ridden all the twisty roads you have included before?
Have you ridden the Hay Plain before? Personally, I would not plan west of Wagga at night. SA Border to Adelaide would be better, as would the Hume. Maybe shift the start time to suit?

BB for a first ride? I'd think it would be ok. I think of a BB2500 as an SS1600 (in say 19 hours), a break, then another 900 km in 12 hours. I might be wrong. Plan an SS1600 with the rest added for a bonus?

Fatman's comment on corner receipts is valid.

Careful planning will result in a successful outcome.
Haven't ridden Hay Plain before however I'm aware of the risk of fauna at night. I have x2 sets of spots and flood lights attached for the night ride.

Hi David, welcome and feel free to introduce and tell us a bit about yourself and what you ride on the IBA Aust Welcoming page if you have not already done (I may have missed it). https://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?threads/welcome-to-the-iba-australia-forum.7/page-14

Now getting back to your topic. Your BB2500km/36hrs map shows various spots where you have clicked and dragged the route to obtain the kms, but these would require you to prove you went via those points with a receipt. I refer to near Tamworth, Gunnedah, Denman, Canberra around Parliament House, I can't see any more than those.

It's usually accepted that maybe you would want more than 10km over the kms that you apply for. I would have thought maybe 2550km for the BB2500km may be a better total.

What sort of bike do you ride, what size fuel tank? this may allow to decrease the number of fuel stops?

I was trying to look up if a new IBA rider can ride a Bun Burner for their first ride, but I couldn't locate guidelines about this. Someone else may know if this ride would be ok for a newcomer.

Half the fun David is in the planning of our rides we do, and with good planning I always find the ride to be easier than it may have been.
Thankyou, I will make a post soon in the subforum.

I'll have spotwalla & SWconnect enabled for the ride - would this be sufficient to document the route taken (Tamworth, gunnedah, denman, canberra & parliament house.

I'll be completing it on a modded cbr500r for touring, tank is 13L for 300km before hitting reserve of 35km.

Fatman a BB2500K is not an "extreme" ride and is ok for a first timer.
Correct, I've completed sub 800km days before without issue and still went to work at night.

You may consider BRIS - SYD - BHILL -ADL. 2565km and its nearly all open highway. Easier to document, stops are more or less straight lines as well
I was considering this however I have never taken the inland route and this would be a great opportunity to get away from the city roads.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I'll have spotwalla & SWconnect enabled for the ride - would this be sufficient to document the route taken (Tamworth, gunnedah, denman, canberra & parliament house.
David, Spotwalla is a great way to support your submission.

However that is not sufficient to document the route taken. You still need fuel/food/accommodation computer generated receipts at least every 600km and especially at route corners plus start and finish witness forms and your fuel log.

David,
Its beautiful country too as you head west. Beautiful in its stark naked nature. Just make sure you have packed and know how to use a puncture repair kit and compressor.

tj189

Premier Member
David, Spotwalla is a great way to support your submission.

However that is not sufficient to document the route taken. You still need fuel/food/accommodation computer generated receipts at least every 600km and especially at route corners plus start and finish witness forms and your fuel log.
This riding sport of ours is an interesting one. Its and individual thing, its about you.
Sure, get all the advice you can (but don't expect others to do the plan for you).
Sure, do the ride safely, our sport is about safe Long Distance Riding, ride your plan.
Sure, when you have done both the above, submit your documentation, it is up to the rider (you) to convince the verification team that you rode the ride you submitted.

May I suggest reading the documentation regarding the SS1600/BB2500K it will cover what is required for this ride to be certified.

best wishes with your ride.

Grey Gentry

Premier Member
Hi David, You have a great ride planned.
Something I have learnt to do, is to only ride to the next target (eg fuel stop), and try not to think how far the final destination is.
Small steps work for me. When you get to a target, then switch focus on the next, and so on, until the ride is complete.
You can still adjust your ride plan if you are ahead or behind time along the way.