Brit Butt Rally 17th to 19th Sept 2021

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
The current email system is not conducive to modern phones while rallying...until a modern system (WhatsApp or similar) or paper is returned to, this discussion will not come to a definitive conclusion.

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
On my phone I have a Googlemail App and an Outlook App designed for use on my smart phone.
They work as well if not better than all the other apps on my phone.

Many users are moving away from WhatsApp since Facebook took them over feeling that their data is now less secure. Telegraph is now increasing in popularity.

But then it's not long ago that we used to simply text everyone or before that we used to speak to each other...........

Last edited:

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
But again Telegram is an App designed for use on a mobile, with image sharing as an integral part of its design. Not a 50 year old method of communication designed for use with a desk based computer.

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
The current email system is not conducive to modern phones while rallying...until a modern system (WhatsApp or similar) or paper is returned to, this discussion will not come to a definitive conclusion.

I think you may be mistaken in your conclusion, remember its not your ball.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
What part of email is "not conducive to modern phones while rallying"? Unless there's something that I misunderstand about what you're saying, I would think that the same combination of cellular data / Wi-Fi that WhatsApp relies on is the same combination of cellular data / Wi-Fi that email relies on. You still have to type out the required messages and attach the required attachments, so what's the functional difference?

Personally, I think the organizer(s) made a great decision to use email. It's completely ubiquitous, largely trouble-free, installed or available via browser on every mobile device and PC, and doesn't require that anyone add yet another app that maybe they don't want. Like me, for example... I would reject any notion of using WhatsApp, because I simply don't trust any app made by or owned by Facebook.

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Personally I don't use the desktop based software on my phone. Why would anyone do that?

I always use the apps designed initially for mobiles that are now on my Android laptop and Microsoft desktop. We will be all apps soon.

I can get Googlemail or Outlook anywhere by logging into the apps on any device.

I have many apps on all my devices. It seems the way it's going. Afterall phones are just small tablets.

wully

Brit Butt Tour Admin. Retired.
Most you know me, I'm not the best at rallys in fact I'll usually help propping up the bottom of the score card.

I look at why I'm not so good at every rally, is it my planning, my riding ability, do the rules against me or is just bad luck(Their just excuses I'm not very good, enthusiastic yes). Well I'm not good at rallying I just enjoy riding my bike. I have stated I don't like the email of checkpoints, but its the rules and you have to adhere to the rules. The the rules change, when I started rallying in 2009 which I DNF you had to do a fuel log which if done correctly you gained a lot of points, sleep bonus was I think was 3 hrs now its a lot more.
The point I'm making is we didn't complain with the loss of the fuel log or the increase in compulsory sleep. The changes are evolution, we change our bikes, sat navs, to make rallying easier.

This is an attempt to make scoring easier and quicker you can still argue the toss with the rallymaster and Phil if you think your hard done by. The extra time gained will result in more time in the bar reciting our rally stories and adventures from the previous 2 days.
Thats why I rally and the hope how ever distant I could one day win.

i agree speeding up the scoring system is a good thing

i'm not so sure g mail is that conductive to use from a phone, when i attach a picture i see part of the picture at about the size of my thumb. i then press send one of four things happen if all is well sent comes up if not the message is either pending, uploading, or queued. then at some point could be a few minutes or hours later it could go i have no explanation for this. this happens even when i've a good signal and all else is working fine. if some one could explain whats going on i'd at least know.

yesterday i had the occasion to send a picture via whats app on the surface it seems very user friendly i got a full picture the size of my phone screen and it just went size of file does not seem to be a problem unlike e mail. there are probably downsides to using something like whats app but i have not the experience in using it to know what they are someone else might.

e mail may well be the best suited system for use on a rally but i am open to the exploration that there could be a better system. All systems are going to have there faults its just which system fits our needs best.

GraemeandSally

RBLR 1000
Premier Member
I had the same problem during the Invictus rally my first email went no problem however all the rest would not send. Email just hanging, BBL emails all went ok apart from one which at first would not send no signal for next 20 mins had to keep trying to resend in the end at next location I had to delete and resend it
I did end up having to use What app during invictus and that went no problem at all
From a riders point of view I prefer what app not sure from the scoring point of view I did have a problem scoring with it during the Jorvik last year

Quill4

Brit Butt Rallymaster
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
i agree speeding up the scoring system is a good thing

i'm not so sure g mail is that conductive to use from a phone, when i attach a picture i see part of the picture at about the size of my thumb. i then press send one of four things happen if all is well sent comes up if not the message is either pending, uploading, or queued. then at some point could be a few minutes or hours later it could go i have no explanation for this. this happens even when i've a good signal and all else is working fine. if some one could explain whats going on i'd at least know.

yesterday i had the occasion to send a picture via whats app on the surface it seems very user friendly i got a full picture the size of my phone screen and it just went size of file does not seem to be a problem unlike e mail. there are probably downsides to using something like whats app but i have not the experience in using it to know what they are someone else might.

e mail may well be the best suited system for use on a rally but i am open to the exploration that there could be a better system. All systems are going to have there faults its just which system fits our needs best.

Dave: In your BBL instructions sent to you a week before the rally there was a document entitled "Email Advice". Within that document was instructions on how to use the "Share" method when sending an email. Here are those instructions again.
--------
How to claim a bonus on a smartphone using the “Share” method

1: Take a photo, making sure that all bonus requirements have been met (Rally flag included, etc).

2: View the photo, then press the ‘Share’ button located at the bottom left of the screen.

3: Select and press the application that you want to use, ie. Gmail.

4: Select who you wish to send the email to, during the rally it will be [email protected]

5: Enter in the Subject Line the data that you have been asked to provide, ie 04 22 34512 2012 (Rally number, Bonus number, Odometer reading, Time)

6: Press Send

Your bonus has now been claimed and it will arrive at Rally HQ to be judged.
--------------
By using this method you will not need to attach a photo, nor will you see a thumbnail of the photo you wish to send, you will be viewing the entire photo. It would be worthwhile you investigating and practicing this prior to your next rally

Quill4

Brit Butt Rallymaster
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Was that using a iPhone? I just looked and it’s not how you said ?
Maybe an idea to set up a email address for people to send to just to test ?
No, it works for both Android and iPhone, I used this method throughout the BBL on a bog-standard cheap Motorola G7.

When you view a photo you should see four icons:

Share - Edit -Lens - Delete

Tapping the left-most icon (Share) will take you on the journey described.

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Dave: In your BBL instructions sent to you a week before the rally there was a document entitled "Email Advice". Within that document was instructions on how to use the "Share" method when sending an email. Here are those instructions again.
--------

1: Take a photo, making sure that all bonus requirements have been met (Rally flag included, etc).

2: View the photo, then press the ‘Share’ button located at the bottom left of the screen.

4: Select who you wish to send the email to, during the rally it will be [email protected]

5: Enter in the Subject Line the data that you have been asked to provide, ie 04 22 34512 2012 (Rally number, Bonus number, Odometer reading, Time)

--------------
By using this method you will not need to attach a photo, nor will you see a thumbnail of the photo you wish to send, you will be viewing the entire photo. It would be worthwhile you investigating and practicing this prior to your next rally
Using that method, the 'subject line' automatically gets filled with the image's 'name/number/title' this requires deleting first...not ideal imho.

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Using that method, the 'subject line' automatically gets filled with the image's 'name/number/title' this requires deleting first...not ideal imho.
Not on any of my phones or apps.

Constructive criticism would be a good thing, idealism is best left out of it. Or are you saying that having to delete some default value is a showstopper?

owl*

Rally Bonus checker
IBA Member
--------

--------------

Just followed those instructions on both my iPhone 6s+ and my Android it seems pretty simple & foolproof.

Last edited:

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Not on any of my phones or apps.

Constructive criticism would be a good thing, idealism is best left out of it. Or are you saying that having to delete some default value is a showstopper?
I was merely passing my experience using an iPhone 6S, using Steve's suggestion, I found 'constructing' an email was efficient enough...
I said 'not ideal' not a showstopper.

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
I was merely passing my experience using an iPhone 6S, using Steve's suggestion, I found 'constructing' an email was efficient enough...
I said 'not ideal' not a showstopper.
Excellent. Will you be signing up for the Brit Butt then?