Brit Butt Rally 25th to 27th May 2018

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Entry is now open for the 2018 BBR
Details and entry here https://www.ironbutt.co.uk/w3/bbr.php
Take a look at other threads here to get an idea of what is involved.
Do you fancy the idea of planning your own route and riding for 36hrs to photograph bonus locations to gain points. .
Then the Brit Butt rally is for you.
All finishers get a certificate of recognition.

Robert

IBR Finisher
Premier Member
What do you mean with "Probably the toughest motorcycle rally in Great Britain"?
Is this British understatement? It IS the toughest rally!:)

Btw, looking forward to it! :D

Scott Miller

An American in Europe
Premier Member
I hope you have planned for clear and sunny skies with no traffic on the motorways, as usual. ;) Oh, and please no fog covered hairpin turns in Wales.:oops:

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
An email will be going out to all entrants with more details tonight.
Its dangerous to assume!

stevek

Married to the best Cake Maker in the UK
IBA Member
So no Smart phone no entry. After entering and finishing for 10 years I am not wanted. Anyone who knows me knows my aversion to many modern forms of communication! I only got a Sat Nav 2 weeks before my first Rally after realising that working from maps was not realistic for a rally format. I learnt to use a mapping programme on a lap top to compete.
Many years later I bought a basic mobile phone for text in bonuses. Now a Smart phone? Not for me.
No more paperwork we are told is the reason. Is this because of last years flawed format and scoring?
I want to ride Rallies and have a suitable motorcycle. There are not many of us interested in doing what we do so congratulations in reducing the entry by at least one.
I have always appreciated the effort put in by the organisers and volunteers at any event put on for my enjoyment but also am acutely aware of the
costs to myself when participating in these events. To purchase a communication device I will never use the rest of the year will not happen.

I look forward to meeting you all at Rides to Eat or, hopefully, Rallies in the future if I am allowed.
Steve K

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
We received an email from Steve (Rally Master) that this years format would be 'no paperwork', all bonuses are scored by using a smartphone, after taking pic you send it to a specific email address. When Rally finishes, all scoring has already been completed...no paperwork or tallying your score required.

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
Why do you require a smartphone?
Apparently it's to reduce the mayhem during post rally scoring. I've been told it will be something like use your phone camera for bonus pictures then attach and email them back to Rally HQ. Personally I prefer the traditional camera method as it means less time at a location. But each to their own.

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
Apparently it's to reduce the mayhem during post rally scoring.
I thought it was all about having a good geographical knowledge, analysing the bonus locations, planning an efficient route to maximise points, then having fun riding the plan......

Maybe I got it wrong

I'd have to take the PA to operate the phone, that isn't going to happen :)

Puts me with SteveK.

Last edited:

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
From the rules 'The absolute essential requirement to take part in this rally is a smartphone'

Not a bike?

Dave Thomson

BBR Veteran
IBA Member
....and there's always the issue about smartphones being notoriously greedy in terms of power, and no chance that any will last 36 hours, so you'll also have to figure out how to charge one on the go!

...... as this is my first rally I hesitate to post as I have no experience of previous years, but that said I have extensive experience in the comms industry.
Your Smartphone, should you have one, will easily give you 24 hours of use as we are unlikely to be streaming films or watching TV etc on them. We will need to charge at some point of course and for this the simplest method is an external battery you can connect with your normal lead and 'stick it in your jacket/bag whilst it charges. To my ZZR1100 I have also wired in a charging port which would do the same thing and most adventure bikes of course have these as standard today. Just a matter of deciding how you would utilise the outlet.
In my opinion our larger challenge will be the management of what we send back as this will be limited to available network signal. Not an issue in broad terms but an understanding of how your phone works will be needed.
Totttle pips.

Last edited:

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
...... as this is my first rally I hesitate to post as I have no experience of previous years, but that said I have extensive experience in the comms industry.
Your Smartphone, should you have one, will easily give you 24 hours of use as we are unlikely to be streaming films or watching TV etc on them. We will need to charge at some point of course and for this the simplest method is an external battery you can connect with your normal lead and 'stick it in your jacket/bag whilst it charges. To my ZZR1100 I have also wired in a charging port which would do the same thing and most adventure bikes of course have these as standard today. Just a matter of deciding how you would utilise the outlet.
In my opinion our larger challenge will be the management of what we send back as this will be limited to available network signal. Not an issue in broad terms but an understanding of how your phone works will be needed.
Totttle pips.
Indeed we have gone down the smart phone route to greatly simplify the scoring system which has in the past lead to riders hanging around for ages waiting for the process to finish.
Emailing pictures as they are taken will ease the process considerably as pictures can be verified as they come in over the weekend.
It's as quick to email a picture as it is to fill in paperwork.
There will be no fuel log, no scoring claim sheet in fact no paperwork as such.
Long distance riders generally have a system of on bike charging or a simple cheap additional battery pack does the trick.

Technology is changing quickly and I see no reason not to embrace it.

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I'd like to make it clear that the fundamentals of the rally will be the same as always.
You will be planning an efficient route to maximize points but then not wasting time going through a long sometimes tedious scoring process
If this rally is not for you then so be it.