Brit Butt Rally 25th to 27th May 2018

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Some of you know that I have spent time in the computer industry. Some of you might also know that I am so old that part of my time in the computer industry was spent introducing computers to people who'd never even seen them before. During that time the phrase guaranteed to raise my frustration level to 11 was "under the old system ..."
In my youth I was always the rebel, the one who thought differently, resented "because we've always done it that way" but with increasing age my tolerance for change decreases: If it works leave it alone!
For BBR 2012 I invested £35 in a digital camera and £200 in a Garmin GPS. I've never used that digital camera since, my smartphone is always with me, has more features and takes better pictures but I've come to rely on my GPS and can't imagine long distance journeys without one now.
The introduction this year of smartphone emailed bonus photos is a risky venture. My time in the computer industry tells me that almost no untrained non-technical people will be able to cope with having to point a physical device in the right direction and press a button at the same time, it's just too difficult. If the device offers more than one button, the wrong one will usually be pressed and the operator will swear blind that they definitely pressed the right one and the device must have malfunctioned. Expecting those same individuals to press a further button in order to dispatch an image across the magic ether is a recipe for disaster: they'll need to choose the right button, the right recipient and the right image; they'll need to stand still for upto 60 seconds while the transmission goes through. Can't see it happening myself, not without rigorous training followed by testing and certification.
This is the 21st century. A smartphone is just a digital camera with some other clever functions attached. Tesco will sell you one for £30. Finding a signal in the wilds of Scotland might be challenging but it's unlikely to be a critical failure if you have to claim your bonuses when you reach Glasgow. My smartphone manages on SaddleSore rides to function as satellite tracker, camera & phone but I always have either a battery backup or 12v socket handy just in case.
Only the young like change and we're all elderly men and women but more importantly we're all Iron Butt riders, we're tough as old boots, adaptable, resilient and can do anything.

Last edited:

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Lets hope it doesn't rain or there'll be plenty of DNFs as the phones DNW any more.
Many newer phones are waterproof or I've seem non waterproof phones mounted with a sandwich bag over them open at the bottom. My camera I have used since 2011 is NOT waterproof but I've never had any issues with it.

Bimbler

RBLR1000 Publicity
IBA Member
Life is too short to hunt through pages of a forum to find the answer.
Where can I find a concise explanation of the Rally and what is expected. All I know is that one is expected to ride for 36hours, after 24 I need to sleep.
The ones who have done it know what is involved. You are very good at not attracting new riders.

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Good point. I have updated the first paragraph of https://www.ironbutt.co.uk/w3/bbr.php to read

The Brit Butt Rally follows the same basic rules as the biennial 11 day 11,000 mile Iron Butt Rally in the USA. Put simply, from the Rally Book, choose your own route to ride around the country for up to 36 hours photographing landmarks and accumulating bonus points. Bonus locations will be spread far and wide; there will be places close to the start, at all corners of Great Britain and everywhere else in between. Sleep in hotels, at home, a tent or park benches, it's up to you. The details of the bonus locations and scoring strategy remain secret until the night before the rally.

and have included a link to a rider's report from the 2016 rally.

Last edited:

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Where can I find a concise explanation of the Rally and what is expected. All I know is that one is expected to ride for 36hours, after 24 I need to sleep.
The ones who have done it know what is involved. You are very good at not attracting new riders.
You are not expected to ride for 36 hrs as that will include any rest you need.

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
There a numerous rally reports on our website. https://www.ironbutt.co.uk/w3/rallierides.php every rally is different but you will find by reading the reports that the general idea is always the same.
Plan your own route from the bonus listing
Ride that route taking pictures of bonus locations with your flag to prove you have been there and collect the points.
Top three, best rookie, best lady get trophies and every finisher gets a certificate.
Entry fee includes 2 meals and commemorative teeshirt

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
We gets good percentage of new riders every year. It does tend to be the more experienced riders who post on here though which probably gives the wrong impression

back to smart phones, I am not the most adapt at using even simple cameras but I've got a few queries. if I send a photo will I get a response to tell me that the photo meets the requirements? if it doesn't will I be told what requirement was missing. I may have left the location but taken additional pictures my normal practice is to take from different angles I am not good with the camera. there is a cost on my phone for sending pictures so can I send more even though I'm at another control?

next question how do you get things to show up at night? just been in the garden with my phone taking pictures mostly came out black or so badly focused you could not make them out. any suggestions on how I improve this guys. PS the flash does not work in selfie mode , and of course no attachment point for a tripod it was not the best situation any suggestions, on a plus the self timer worked, but the phone wobbles over.
and of course its not waterproof --- least I've got a few months to sort some solutions out--- unfortunately I don't do that much with my phone so a bit low down on the learning curve for this one.

Quill4

Brit Butt Rallymaster
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Don't worry about taking photo's at night, all bonuses will be daylight hours only.

Below are the sunrise/sunset times for central UK that weekend. You will have 30 hours of mainly daylight in which to ride and take pictures.

Dawn: 04:05
Sunrise: 04:53
Sunset: 21:18

Dusk: 22:06
Dawn: 04:03
Sunrise: 04:52
Sunset: 21:19

Dusk: 22:0

As always, you will have to be the judge of whether the photo meets the requirements. You will not be told whether your photo scored or not until the rally is over. You can practice by using an old BBR flag if you like and sending photo's from your smartphone to the rally e-mail address [email protected]. Some other entrants are already doing that., you will get a response on those.

There are lots of 'How to take better pictures with your Smartphone' tutorials on the web, but they are more inclined towards the artistic side, all that you require is a good technical image; bonus item and rally flag clearly visible. It can be done, last years winner hit 60 bonuses, there was no argument with any of his photo's.

It really doesn't matter whether you are using a polaroid, a digital camera or a smartphone, understanding your equipment is key, what it can and can't do, and practice. Working it out at the first bonus is bound to lead to disappointment.

Bimbler

RBLR1000 Publicity
IBA Member
Good point. I have updated the first paragraph of https://www.ironbutt.co.uk/w3/bbr.php to read

The Brit Butt Rally follows the same basic rules as the biennial 11 day 11,000 mile Iron Butt Rally in the USA. Put simply, from the Rally Book, choose your own route to ride around the country for up to 36 hours photographing landmarks and accumulating bonus points. Bonus locations will be spread far and wide; there will be places close to the start, at all corners of Great Britain and everywhere else in between. Sleep in hotels, at home, a tent or park benches, it's up to you. The details of the bonus locations and scoring strategy remain secret until the night before the rally.

and have included a link to a rider's report from the 2016 rally.
Excellent - Many thanks for the extra info.

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
Just a bit on the Mobile Phone thing.

I invested in an iPhone7+ from my iPhone6+ only because the new iPhone had an IP67 rating. I used my phone, in the rain, and it had water damage. Apple, I subsequently found out, do not warranty for water damage.

I had a big belligerent argument in the Apple Store and eventually, they inspected the phone and found a water seal not seated perfectly so did, in fact, replace the phone stating that they would not replace this one if it had water damage. The Apple staff also admitted to using waterproof bags if out in the wet.

I took two things from this experience. Firstly the iPhone7+ is not IP67 as rain should not damage it but I could not be bothered to sue Apple. Secondly, I paid a lot for a waterproof case the Lifeproof NUUD which is IP68 and so far so good.

I also got a great RAM compatible mount from SlipGrip, which also works very well.

I got the information for these two products from fellow IBA rider Danny Dossman, nothing like a positive third party referral for confidence.

Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

Scott Miller

An American in Europe
Premier Member
Just a bit on the Mobile Phone thing.

I invested in an iPhone7+ from my iPhone6+ only because the new iPhone had an IP67 rating. I used my phone, in the rain, and it had water damage. Apple, I subsequently found out, do not warranty for water damage.

I had a big belligerent argument in the Apple Store and eventually, they inspected the phone and found a water seal not seated perfectly so did, in fact, replace the phone stating that they would not replace this one if it had water damage. The Apple staff also admitted to using waterproof bags if out in the wet.

I took two things from this experience. Firstly the iPhone7+ is not IP67 as rain should not damage it but I could not be bothered to sue Apple. Secondly, I paid a lot for a waterproof case the Lifeproof NUUD which is IP68 and so far so good.

I also got a great RAM compatible mount from SlipGrip, which also works very well.

I got the information for these two products from fellow IBA rider Danny Dossman, nothing like a positive third party referral for confidence.

Love, light, and kindness,

Dave
I can vouch for the reliability of the SlipGrip. I have an iPhone 5 which I put in a Lifeproof case while riding (have not had any water issues so far). This summer when I crashed at ca. 60 mph my bike flipped several times, sprinkling BMW parts across the countryside. My phone stayed securely mounted and was undamaged by the commotion.

Greetings,
Scott

Don't worry about taking photo's at night, all bonuses will be daylight hours only.

Below are the sunrise/sunset times for central UK that weekend. You will have 30 hours of mainly daylight in which to ride and take pictures.
Dawn: 04:05
Sunrise: 04:53
Sunset: 21:18

Dusk: 22:06
Dawn: 04:03
Sunrise: 04:52
Sunset: 21:19

Dusk: 22:0

As always, you will have to be the judge of whether the photo meets the requirements. You will not be told whether your photo scored or not until the rally is over. You can practice by using an old BBR flag if you like and sending photo's from your smartphone to the rally e-mail address [email protected]. Some other entrants are already doing that., you will get a response on those.

There are lots of 'How to take better pictures with your Smartphone' tutorials on the web, but they are more inclined towards the artistic side, all that you require is a good technical image; bonus item and rally flag clearly visible. It can be done, last years winner hit 60 bonuses, there was no argument with any of his photo's.

It really doesn't matter whether you are using a polaroid, a digital camera or a smartphone, understanding your equipment is key, what it can and can't do, and practice. Working it out at the first bonus is bound to lead to disappointment.
thanks Steve not taking them at night sort of eliminates yesterdays problem, sent a couple of pictures to the email address yesterday had no conformation of receipt I am assuming for some reason its got lost in the magic of text / e mail conversion sent another one now only 1 picture though.
yep I was practicing or discovering mine and the phones capabilities figured the garden was a better place to start than at the side of the road. ok so on the rally I send a picture do you send a receipt message to say its arrived cool with the idea its either good or bad just want to know its got there, last nights did not get to you.
once I get that conformation that my phone gets to your e mail I can move on tried it with another e mail and it gets there so......... should be good

Quill4

Brit Butt Rallymaster
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Dave: You can test that your photo gets to the Rally email address as much as you like before the rally, and as soon as I see them I will respond (please note, not monitored 24/7). This hopefully will give you the confidence that the system works and that your photography skills are improving. On the rally itself you will not get confirmation for every photo that you send.

I can vouch for the reliability of the SlipGrip. I have an iPhone 5 which I put in a Lifeproof case while riding (have not had any water issues so far). This summer when I crashed at ca. 60 mph my bike flipped several times, sprinkling BMW parts across the countryside. My phone stayed securely mounted and was undamaged by the commotion.

Greetings,
Scott
+1 slipgrip